[brooks@freebsd.org: Calling ATM NIC users: en(4), fatm(4), hatm(4), patm(4)]

Brooks Davis-2
Resending to the FreeBSD ATM list at Hartmut's suggestion.

-- Brooks

----- Forwarded message from Brooks Davis <[hidden email]> -----

Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2017 01:32:50 +0000
From: Brooks Davis <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email], [hidden email]
Subject: Calling ATM NIC users: en(4), fatm(4), hatm(4), patm(4)

Our current ATM stack supports a small number of NICs that were
current in the late 90s[0].  None of them have been manufactured in a
long time and while you can buy hatm(4) devices on e-bay, it's
increasingly difficult to find a motherboard that will accept them.

I'd like to propose removing support for these NICs along with the
remaining ATM stack in FreeBSD 12.  This will give any existing users
a supported OS until at least September 30, 2021 per our published EOL
date for FreeBSD 11.

Would removal on this schedule cause you realistic hardship?  If so,
please let us know.

-- Brooks

[0] 1997 press release for the most advanced ATM NIC we support
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fore-systems-introduces-industrys-most-advanced-atm-adapter-for-enterprise-networking-77407267.html

----- End forwarded message -----