can't create new project in newly installed MonoDevelop

can't create new project in newly installed MonoDevelop

freebsd-mono mailing list
Hi guys,

I just installed MonoDevelop with `sudo pkg install monodevelop` and I wanted to create a new HelloWorld console app with it. When I click on the button to create it however I get a dialog saying "The type initializer for 'MonoDevelop.Projects.MSBuild.MSBuildEvaluationContext' threw an exception"

Using mcs and mono on the command line works fine.
What am I doing wrong? Can you help me with this?

Thank you,

Bran

Re: can't create new project in newly installed MonoDevelop

Ivan Radovanovic-2
Hi Bran,

Please make sure to install package msbuild as well

Kind regards

On 30/05/2020 14:29, bran.damon via freebsd-mono wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I just installed MonoDevelop with `sudo pkg install monodevelop` and I wanted to create a new HelloWorld console app with it. When I click on the button to create it however I get a dialog saying "The type initializer for 'MonoDevelop.Projects.MSBuild.MSBuildEvaluationContext' threw an exception"
>
> Using mcs and mono on the command line works fine.
> What am I doing wrong? Can you help me with this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Bran
>
> Sent with [ProtonMail](https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.

Re: can't create new project in newly installed MonoDevelop

freebsd-mono mailing list
Thanks Ivan, it worked! Now I am able to create a simple HelloWorld console app. I can compile it, however I can't debug it. It says: "Could not connect to the debugger."
Is this error message known to you?

Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

On Monday, June 1, 2020 7:51 AM, Ivan Radovanovic <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bran,
>
> Please make sure to install package msbuild as well
>
> Kind regards
>
> On 30/05/2020 14:29, bran.damon via freebsd-mono wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> > I just installed MonoDevelop with `sudo pkg install monodevelop` and I wanted to create a new HelloWorld console app with it. When I click on the button to create it however I get a dialog saying "The type initializer for 'MonoDevelop.Projects.MSBuild.MSBuildEvaluationContext' threw an exception"
> > Using mcs and mono on the command line works fine.
> > What am I doing wrong? Can you help me with this?
> > Thank you,
> > Bran
> > Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.
> >
> > [hidden email] mailing list
> > https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-mono
> > To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

Re: can't create new project in newly installed MonoDevelop

Ivan Radovanovic-2
Hmmm, for me it reports that error sometimes, but very rarely (maybe
once in 30-40 runs) - does it report it to you every time?

On 01/06/2020 21:58, bran.damon wrote:

> Thanks Ivan, it worked! Now I am able to create a simple HelloWorld console app. I can compile it, however I can't debug it. It says: "Could not connect to the debugger."
> Is this error message known to you?
>

> Sent with ProtonMail Secure Email.

Yes, it happens every time unfortunately, whether I'm running FreeBSD in a VirtualBox instance or as a full-fledged OS install on a laptop.