cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

12

cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu
Hi,

I have a bit of problem, cannot install FreeBSD/Xen on a bit older hardware. The hardware
should support the minimal VT-D/IOMMU settings, required by Xen.

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (2806.42-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x106a5  Family=0x6  Model=0x1a  Stepping=5
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0x98e3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT>
  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics

I get always a panic on CPU0 followed by a reboot. My /boot/loader.conf was set as:

xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=2048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh console=com1,vga com1=115200,8n1 guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all iommu=debug,force”

Any ideas what I could try ?

Thank you

Stefan Parvu

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Marcin Cieslak-3
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Stefan Parvu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a bit of problem, cannot install FreeBSD/Xen on a bit older hardware. The hardware
> should support the minimal VT-D/IOMMU settings, required by Xen.
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (2806.42-MHz K8-class CPU)
>  Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x106a5  Family=0x6  Model=0x1a  Stepping=5
>  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>  Features2=0x98e3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT>
>  AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
>  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
>  VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID
>  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
>
> I get always a panic on CPU0 followed by a reboot. My /boot/loader.conf was set as:
>
> xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=2048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh console=com1,vga com1=115200,8n1 guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all iommu=debug,force”
Does it happen in Xen or in FreeBSD dom0 kernel?

I have Xeon E3-1234 but I run 11.2-STABLE with xen-kernel-4.7.2_9 for a very long time already.
I also have:

hw.pci.mcfg=0
machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=0

Marcin

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu

> Does it happen in Xen or in FreeBSD dom0 kernel?

Xen. Here:
http://www.kronometrix.org/bugs/freebsd_xen.jpg

> I have Xeon E3-1234 but I run 11.2-STABLE with xen-kernel-4.7.2_9 for a very long time already.
> I also have:
>
> hw.pci.mcfg=0
> machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=0

Should I add these to sysctl.conf ? I will try tomorrow. To me it looks whatever I try I cannot
get IOMMU on this hdw with FreeBSD 12 and Xen 4.12.1. I havent tried another FreeBSD version.

Previously this box was running Ubuntu 16.x and KVM with no problems.

Stefan

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Marcin Cieslak-3
On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Stefan Parvu wrote:

>> Does it happen in Xen or in FreeBSD dom0 kernel?
>
> Xen. Here:
> http://www.kronometrix.org/bugs/freebsd_xen.jpg
>
>> I have Xeon E3-1234 but I run 11.2-STABLE with xen-kernel-4.7.2_9 for a very long time already.
>> I also have:
>>
>> hw.pci.mcfg=0
>> machdep.hyperthreading_allowed=0
>
> Should I add these to sysctl.conf ? I will try tomorrow. To me it looks whatever I try I cannot
> get IOMMU on this hdw with FreeBSD 12 and Xen 4.12.1. I havent tried another FreeBSD version.
No idea, just showing what I have. Maybe totally not relevant to what you are having -
I am going to try 12 and Xen 4.12.1 soon.

I also don't have "iommu=required,force" in my Xen commandline:

"dom0_mem=4096M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0pvh=1 com1=115200,8n1 guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all vga=text-80x43,keep console=vga"

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Roger Pau Monné
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:12:06AM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a bit of problem, cannot install FreeBSD/Xen on a bit older hardware. The hardware
> should support the minimal VT-D/IOMMU settings, required by Xen.
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         930  @ 2.80GHz (2806.42-MHz K8-class CPU)
>   Origin="GenuineIntel"  Id=0x106a5  Family=0x6  Model=0x1a  Stepping=5
>   Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
>   Features2=0x98e3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,SSE4.1,SSE4.2,POPCNT>
>   AMD Features=0x28100800<SYSCALL,NX,RDTSCP,LM>
>   AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
>   VT-x: PAT,HLT,MTF,PAUSE,EPT,VPID
>   TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics
>
> I get always a panic on CPU0 followed by a reboot. My /boot/loader.conf was set as:
>
> xen_cmdline="dom0_mem=2048M dom0_max_vcpus=4 dom0=pvh console=com1,vga com1=115200,8n1 guest_loglvl=all loglvl=all iommu=debug,force”
>
> Any ideas what I could try ?

Hello,

Can you please provide the full boot log? I'm afraid that I'm not able
to provide any suggestions without knowing what went wrong.

Thanks, Roger.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu
> Can you please provide the full boot log? I'm afraid that I'm not able
> to provide any suggestions without knowing what went wrong.

In BIOS everything regarding virtualization is turned ON.

How can I provide the full boot log if my machine is rebooting itself …
and have no access to the files? Im not able to control how can I boot again.
I usually need to reinstall everything from scratch.

Is there any way to configure the boot loader and boot with or without Xen kernel ?

Many thanks,
Stefan

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 11:49:50AM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> > Can you please provide the full boot log? I'm afraid that I'm not able
> > to provide any suggestions without knowing what went wrong.
>
> In BIOS everything regarding virtualization is turned ON.
>
> How can I provide the full boot log if my machine is rebooting itself …
> and have no access to the files? Im not able to control how can I boot again.
> I usually need to reinstall everything from scratch.

Could you setup a serial console in order to get the boot log?

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/virtualization-host-xen.html

If your box doesn't have a serial header, you can add noreboot to
xen_cmdline and paste a photo of the screen with the panic message,
it's not great but at least we would get an idea of what's wrong.

> Is there any way to configure the boot loader and boot with or without Xen kernel ?

Yes, when you are at the bootloader screen press '3', and then type:

> unload
> unset xen_kernel
> boot

That would make your box boot into plain FreeBSD without Xen.

Roger.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu

> If your box doesn't have a serial header, you can add noreboot to
> xen_cmdline and paste a photo of the screen with the panic message,
> it's not great but at least we would get an idea of what's wrong.

Im not sure I can setup a serial console on this wkst. Will check.

The last thing I see is this:
http://www.kronometrix.org/bugs/freebsd_xen.jpg <http://www.kronometrix.org/bugs/freebsd_xen.jpg> but nothing like a thread dump,
stack trace etc …

But you need all boot log. I will try your option tonight. I cant access the hardware now.

> Yes, when you are at the bootloader screen press '3', and then type:
>
>> unload
>> unset xen_kernel
>> boot

Thats very good. Thanks.

Stefan

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:07:50PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:

> > If your box doesn't have a serial header, you can add noreboot to
> > xen_cmdline and paste a photo of the screen with the panic message,
> > it's not great but at least we would get an idea of what's wrong.
> >

> Im not sure I can setup a serial console on this wkst. Will check.
>
> The last thing I see is this:
> http://www.kronometrix.org/bugs/freebsd_xen.jpg <http://www.kronometrix.org/bugs/freebsd_xen.jpg> but nothing like a thread dump,
> stack trace etc …

Your box doesn't seem to have an iommu (aka vt-d for Intel).

> But you need all boot log. I will try your option tonight. I cant access the hardware now.

If you can that would be helpful, but AFAIK this box is simply not
capable of running a Xen PVH dom0 (which is the only mode FreeBSD
supports in order to work as dom0). Either it has a broken iommu or no
iommu at all.

Roger.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu

> Your box doesn't seem to have an iommu (aka vt-d for Intel).

In BIOS I do have VT-D Enabled option. Would that be broken or not working ?
I think I have used Xen a bit older version on Debian some time back if Im not wrong, on the same hdw.

>> But you need all boot log. I will try your option tonight. I cant access the hardware now.
>
> If you can that would be helpful, but AFAIK this box is simply not
> capable of running a Xen PVH dom0 (which is the only mode FreeBSD
> supports in order to work as dom0). Either it has a broken iommu or no
> iommu at all.

Hmmm. Thats strange since I do recall I had previously used here Xen but on Linux. But older
version. Could it be something changed regarding Xen and iommu or ?

Stefan

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Gerd Hafenbrack-3
On 2019-10-16 11:17, Stefan Parvu wrote:
>> ... capable of running a Xen PVH dom0 (which is the only mode FreeBSD
>> supports in order to work as dom0). Either it has a broken iommu or no
>> iommu at all.
>
> Hmmm. Thats strange since I do recall I had previously used here Xen but on Linux. But older
> version. Could it be something changed regarding Xen and iommu or ? ...
You used Xen on Linux in *PVH* mode?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:17:20PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:

> > Your box doesn't seem to have an iommu (aka vt-d for Intel).
>
> In BIOS I do have VT-D Enabled option. Would that be broken or not working ?

Are you sure it's VT-d and not VT-x what you have enabled in the BIOS?

Looking at the details of your CPU:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/41447/intel-core-i7-930-processor-8m-cache-2-80-ghz-4-80-gt-s-intel-qpi.html

VT-d is not listed in 'Advanced Technologies'. For example looking at
a newer model:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149091/intel-core-i7-8565u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html

You can see VT-d listed in 'Advanced Technologies'.

> I think I have used Xen a bit older version on Debian some time back if Im not wrong, on the same hdw.

See below.

> >> But you need all boot log. I will try your option tonight. I cant access the hardware now.
> >
> > If you can that would be helpful, but AFAIK this box is simply not
> > capable of running a Xen PVH dom0 (which is the only mode FreeBSD
> > supports in order to work as dom0). Either it has a broken iommu or no
> > iommu at all.
>
> Hmmm. Thats strange since I do recall I had previously used here Xen but on Linux. But older
> version. Could it be something changed regarding Xen and iommu or ?

Linux dom0 would likely be in PV mode (note the missing H), which
doesn't require an iommu. OTOH FreeBSD only supports PVH dom0, which
does require an iommu.

Roger.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu
thank you guys for tips.

> Are you sure it's VT-d and not VT-x what you have enabled in the BIOS?

Yes, I think the ASUS BIOS had listed VT-d. But will double check tonight. But it might be
that the CPU does not support VT-d. Thats very true. Hmmm. Is there any point even to
update the CPU on this system, would it even support some new CPU models ?

> Linux dom0 would likely be in PV mode (note the missing H), which
> doesn't require an iommu. OTOH FreeBSD only supports PVH dom0, which
> does require an iommu.

Right. It could be tat I was using PV mode (paravirtualisation) mode, without HVM
extensions which PVH uses. Right ? Thats I cant say. It was some time back.

Stefan

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 01:09:11PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> thank you guys for tips.
>
> > Are you sure it's VT-d and not VT-x what you have enabled in the BIOS?
>
> Yes, I think the ASUS BIOS had listed VT-d. But will double check tonight. But it might be
> that the CPU does not support VT-d. Thats very true. Hmmm. Is there any point even to
> update the CPU on this system, would it even support some new CPU models ?

I'm afraid I have no idea. I don't deal with hardware setup myself.

> > Linux dom0 would likely be in PV mode (note the missing H), which
> > doesn't require an iommu. OTOH FreeBSD only supports PVH dom0, which
> > does require an iommu.
>
> Right. It could be tat I was using PV mode (paravirtualisation) mode, without HVM
> extensions which PVH uses. Right ? Thats I cant say. It was some time back.

So in order to provide an overview:

 - PV doesn't require VT-x nor VT-d.
 - PV guests with pci-passthrough devices require VT-d for safety
   reasons.
 - PVH/HVM require VT-x.
 - PVH dom0 or HVM/PVH guests with pci-passthrough devices require
   both VT-d and VT-x.

Roger.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Konstantin Belousov
On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 11:28:23AM +0200, Roger Pau Monné wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 12:17:20PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> > >
> > > Your box doesn't seem to have an iommu (aka vt-d for Intel).
> >
> > In BIOS I do have VT-D Enabled option. Would that be broken or not working ?
>
> Are you sure it's VT-d and not VT-x what you have enabled in the BIOS?
>
> Looking at the details of your CPU:
>
> https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/41447/intel-core-i7-930-processor-8m-cache-2-80-ghz-4-80-gt-s-intel-qpi.html
>
> VT-d is not listed in 'Advanced Technologies'. For example looking at
> a newer model:
>
> https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149091/intel-core-i7-8565u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html
>
> You can see VT-d listed in 'Advanced Technologies'.
Nehalems do have VT-d, but they have dedicated chip with north bridge
still, CPU only provided memory controller.  So VT-d is the feature of
the chipset, e.g. X58, not mentioning Xeon chipsets.  On the other hand,
VT-d support was relatively buggy, could it be that Xen kernel refuses
to use it due to the problems ?

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 02:07:55PM +0300, Konstantin Belousov wrote:

> > > In BIOS I do have VT-D Enabled option. Would that be broken or not working ?
> >
> > Are you sure it's VT-d and not VT-x what you have enabled in the BIOS?
> >
> > Looking at the details of your CPU:
> >
> > https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/41447/intel-core-i7-930-processor-8m-cache-2-80-ghz-4-80-gt-s-intel-qpi.html
> >
> > VT-d is not listed in 'Advanced Technologies'. For example looking at
> > a newer model:
> >
> > https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149091/intel-core-i7-8565u-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-60-ghz.html
> >
> > You can see VT-d listed in 'Advanced Technologies'.
> Nehalems do have VT-d, but they have dedicated chip with north bridge
> still, CPU only provided memory controller.  So VT-d is the feature of
> the chipset, e.g. X58, not mentioning Xeon chipsets.  On the other hand,
> VT-d support was relatively buggy, could it be that Xen kernel refuses
> to use it due to the problems ?

It's possible that Xen refuses to enable the iommu due to erratas, I'm
however unable to find the specification document of the X58 chipset
with the erratas, seems to be gone from the Intel site.

Stefan:

When booting plain FreeBSD, can you try the following?

# acpidump -t|grep DMAR
  DMAR: Length=180, Revision=1, Checksum=195,
        OEMID=A M I, OEM Table ID=OEMDMAR, OEM Revision=0x1,

If you don't get output it means there's no DMAR ACPI table, and thus
no VT-d support (at least from the OS point of view).

Roger.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu
> When booting plain FreeBSD, can you try the following?
>
> # acpidump -t|grep DMAR
>  DMAR: Length=180, Revision=1, Checksum=195,
> OEMID=A M I, OEM Table ID=OEMDMAR, OEM Revision=0x1,
>
> If you don't get output it means there's no DMAR ACPI table, and thus
> no VT-d support (at least from the OS point of view).

sure. Will try this and report back in couple of hours.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu
> # acpidump -t|grep DMAR
>  DMAR: Length=180, Revision=1, Checksum=195,
> OEMID=A M I, OEM Table ID=OEMDMAR, OEM Revision=0x1,

root@earth:~ # acpidump -t | grep DMAR
  DMAR: Length=288, Revision=1, Checksum=93,
        OEMID=AMI, OEM Table ID=OEMDMAR, OEM Revision=0x1,

this is it.

Stefan

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 06:15:33PM +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> > # acpidump -t|grep DMAR
> >  DMAR: Length=180, Revision=1, Checksum=195,
> > OEMID=A M I, OEM Table ID=OEMDMAR, OEM Revision=0x1,
> >

> root@earth:~ # acpidump -t | grep DMAR
>   DMAR: Length=288, Revision=1, Checksum=93,
> OEMID=AMI, OEM Table ID=OEMDMAR, OEM Revision=0x1,

So there's an iommu, then it must be Xen refusing to use it.

Is it possible for you to setup a serial console in order to get the
full Xen boot log?

Also, IIRC X58 had some interrupt remapping issues, can you try to
boot with iommu=no-intremap? (without any other iommu options)

Thanks, Roger.

Re: cannot install FreeBSD 12.0 Xen 4.12.1 on Intel Core i7 CPU 930

Stefan Parvu
> Also, IIRC X58 had some interrupt remapping issues, can you try to
> boot with iommu=no-intremap? (without any other iommu options)

Let me try quickly that. No serial it is too complicated for this machine.

If we can make this running do you think FreeBSD Xen Dom0 will ever support HVM
linux guests ?

stefan
12