charset.alias

Alex Dupre
Hi All,
the latest update to devel/patch spotted a (new, at least for me)
problem related to charset.alias file. After a little research I found
that gettext install both charset.alias and locale.alias and no other
ports should install them. So devel/patch should be fixed.
But in my research I found another issue: charset.alias should be
actually installed by converters/libiconv, and in fact it installs a
private copy in a different directory. And actually the one installed by
libiconv is quite correct, while the one installed by gettext is wrong
(it was correct for FreeBSD 4.x that misses nl_langinfo()).
In the end, a created a patch for the following affected ports:
converters/libiconv
devel/gettext
devel/patch
ports-mgmt/portlint

Please have a look at it and comment.

--
Alex Dupre

charset.patch (8K) Download Attachment

Re: charset.alias

glarkin

Re: charset.alias

Alex Dupre
Greg Larkin ha scritto:
> I worked out a slightly different patch to devel/patch this morning
> and just committed it.  It already uses a construct for inlining the
> charset data for certain platforms when it shouldn't install the
> charset.alias file due to package conflicts.
>
> Let me know if you see any issues with that.

I see at least one remaining issue, i.e. you included the wrong
charset.alias (not the correct one generated by libiconv). Anyway I
think that we should always use the shared charset.alias file instead of
hardcoding the mapping in every port.

--
Alex Dupre

Re: charset.alias

glarkin

Re: charset.alias

Alex Dupre
Greg Larkin ha scritto:
> I included the charset.alias data generated by the devel/patch build
> itself (config.charset script, IIRC), and I followed the spirit of the
> existing code in the application in deciding to embed it within an
> #if/#endif block.

Yep, but such scripts/code are taken from libiconv 'as-is':
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/libiconv.git/tree/libcharset/lib

We have patched libiconv in the tree to create the correct
charset.alias, so it makes sense to use it (since it doesn't require
code modification in other applications) instead of patching
localcharset.c in every program that bundle it.

> Since I am no expert on charsets, libiconv or gettext, please feel
> free to replace my fix with your patch, if that's a better long-term
> solution.

Let's hear other opinions.

--
Alex Dupre

[HEADS UP] charset.alias

Alex Dupre
Alex Dupre ha scritto:

> the latest update to devel/patch spotted a (new, at least for me)
> problem related to charset.alias file. After a little research I found
> that gettext install both charset.alias and locale.alias and no other
> ports should install them. So devel/patch should be fixed.
> But in my research I found another issue: charset.alias probably should be
> actually installed by converters/libiconv, and in fact it installs a
> private copy in a different directory. And actually the one installed by
> libiconv is quite correct, while the one installed by gettext is wrong
> (it was correct for FreeBSD 4.x that misses nl_langinfo()).
> In the end, a created a patch for the following affected ports:
> converters/libiconv
> devel/gettext
> devel/patch
> ports-mgmt/portlint
>
> Please have a look at it and comment.
I've added converters/recode to the patch and updated/improved it.

I have received zero feedback until now.

--
Alex Dupre

charset.patch (17K) Download Attachment

Re: [HEADS UP] charset.alias

glarkin

Re: [HEADS UP] charset.alias

Ade Lovett
On 10/9/2012 18:52, Greg Larkin wrote:
> Please feel free to apply your diffs and commit the update to devel/patch.

Given that you're going to be bumping PORTREVISION on devel/gettext and
converters/libiconv, both of which are extensively used by the rest of
the tree, this is at the very minimum going to require an exp-run for
verification.

You'll also need to take into account that we're getting really close to
9.1-RC2 and the necessary tree tagging for final package builds for
9.1-RELEASE.

Long story short:  get explicit portmgr@ approval.  Specifically, with
autotools@ hat on, I do NOT give approval to touch devel/gettext at all
without the necessary nod from portmgr@

-aDe

Re: [HEADS UP] charset.alias

Alex Dupre
Ade Lovett ha scritto:
> Given that you're going to be bumping PORTREVISION on devel/gettext and
> converters/libiconv, both of which are extensively used by the rest of
> the tree, this is at the very minimum going to require an exp-run for
> verification.

I completely agree. I did a preliminary test on my tinderbox, but a full
exp-run is needed.

> Long story short:  get explicit portmgr@ approval.  Specifically, with
> autotools@ hat on, I do NOT give approval to touch devel/gettext at all
> without the necessary nod from portmgr@

Ok, but modulo implementation errors, do you approve the idea of the
proposed patch? In other words, do you agree that the current
charset.alias is wrong? If so, I formally request an exp-run for the
previously attached patch, to verify that nothing will break.

--
Alex Dupre

Re: [HEADS UP] charset.alias

Mark Linimon-2
Right, the slush is imminent, so it's too late for anything else major
to be done for this release.

mcl

Re: [HEADS UP] charset.alias

Alex Dupre
Mark Linimon ha scritto:
> Right, the slush is imminent, so it's too late for anything else major
> to be done for this release.

The issue is not severe, I never said the patch should be committed
before 9.1 release. But I have the (I hope wrong) impression that you
(all) are trying to avoid facing the issue with different motivations
since it touches two fundamental ports ;-)

--
Alex Dupre

Re: [HEADS UP] charset.alias

Mark Linimon-2
No, it has to be done, it's just a matter of timing.

Right now w/rt timing my focus has been on "clang as default CC in
-current is happening soon (for some unahppy definition of soon)."

I expect a lot of stuff to happen all of a sudden post-9.1.  Ew.

mcl