cpupdate : Unsupported version for Intel CPU?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

cpupdate : Unsupported version for Intel CPU?

Ruben
Hi Stefan,


Is this tool intended to be compatible with all intel CPU's or is it
just for a specific subset of Intel CPU's (or subset  perhaps of
microcode images)?

The reason I'm asking is because I've just given your tool a try and got
an "error" message (see below). I have not tried using the traditional
tools yet (devcpu).

Any feedback appreciated!


Kind regards,


Ruben

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben]# git clone
https://github.com/kernschmelze/cpupdate

[ snip ]

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben]# cd cpupdate/
[root@bh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# make
echo cpupdate.full: /usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
Warning: Object directory not changed from original /usr/home/ruben/cpupdate
cc -O2 -pipe   -g -MD  -MF.depend.cpupdate.o -MTcpupdate.o -std=gnu99
-fstack-protector-strong    -Qunused-arguments  -c cpupdate.c -o cpupdate.o
cc -O2 -pipe   -g -MD  -MF.depend.intel.o -MTintel.o -std=gnu99
-fstack-protector-strong    -Qunused-arguments  -c intel.c -o intel.o
cc -O2 -pipe -g -std=gnu99 -fstack-protector-strong -Qunused-arguments 
-o cpupdate.full cpupdate.o intel.o
objcopy --only-keep-debug cpupdate.full cpupdate.debug
objcopy --strip-debug --add-gnu-debuglink=cpupdate.debug  cpupdate.full
cpupdate
gzip -cn cpupdate.8 > cpupdate.8.gz
[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]#

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# ./cpupdate -i
Found CPU(s) from Intel
Processor Core: 0
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 1
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 2
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 3
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 4
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 5
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 6
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 7
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 8
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 9
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 10
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 11
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 12
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 13
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 14
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
Processor Core: 15
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# fetch
https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/blob/master/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
fetch:
https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/blob/master/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin:
size of remote file is not known
cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7D          30 kB  270 kBps
00m00s

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# ./cpupdate -vv -I -f
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
Unsupported version
Error in [first] header
[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]#
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cpupdate : Unsupported version for Intel CPU?

Stefan Blachmann
Hi Ruben,
thank you for your feedback!

The tool is intended for all Intel cpus.

I wonder whether there might be a download error?
To verify this here is the SHA256 checksum:

% sha256 /home/stefan/Downloads/Intel/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
SHA256 (/home/stefan/Downloads/Intel/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin)
= 8f0f2d80ea3ffa0c4993445a49c42751ebe04dfcea19c25d1951870daac45d9a
%

What makes me wonder too is the size (30KB) that is shown in your log:

% ll /home/stefan/Downloads/Intel/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
-rw-r--r--  1 stefan  stefan  9216 Mar 11 18:40
/home/stefan/Downloads/Intel/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin

Please can you check that size and checksum are correct?
If they are, please let me know so that I can investigate what might
have happened else.

Anyway I did a major rework of the tool and added new functions and
documentation in the last days. Will upload that tonight or tomorrow.
I'll email when it's on github.

Have a nice day!
Stefan


On 3/14/18, Ruben <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
>
> Is this tool intended to be compatible with all intel CPU's or is it
> just for a specific subset of Intel CPU's (or subset  perhaps of
> microcode images)?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because I've just given your tool a try and got
> an "error" message (see below). I have not tried using the traditional
> tools yet (devcpu).
>
> Any feedback appreciated!
>
>
> Kind regards,
>
>
> Ruben
>
> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben]# git clone
> https://github.com/kernschmelze/cpupdate
>
> [ snip ]
>
> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben]# cd cpupdate/
> [root@bh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# make
> echo cpupdate.full: /usr/lib/libc.a  >> .depend
> Warning: Object directory not changed from original
> /usr/home/ruben/cpupdate
> cc -O2 -pipe   -g -MD  -MF.depend.cpupdate.o -MTcpupdate.o -std=gnu99
> -fstack-protector-strong    -Qunused-arguments  -c cpupdate.c -o cpupdate.o
> cc -O2 -pipe   -g -MD  -MF.depend.intel.o -MTintel.o -std=gnu99
> -fstack-protector-strong    -Qunused-arguments  -c intel.c -o intel.o
> cc -O2 -pipe -g -std=gnu99 -fstack-protector-strong -Qunused-arguments
> -o cpupdate.full cpupdate.o intel.o
> objcopy --only-keep-debug cpupdate.full cpupdate.debug
> objcopy --strip-debug --add-gnu-debuglink=cpupdate.debug  cpupdate.full
> cpupdate
> gzip -cn cpupdate.8 > cpupdate.8.gz
> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]#
>
> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# ./cpupdate -i
> Found CPU(s) from Intel
> Processor Core: 0
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 1
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 2
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 3
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 4
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 5
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 6
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 7
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 8
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 9
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 10
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 11
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 12
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 13
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 14
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
> Processor Core: 15
> -> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 00000013
>
> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# fetch
> https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/blob/master/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
> fetch:
> https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/blob/master/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin:
> size of remote file is not known
> cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7D          30 kB  270 kBps
> 00m00s
>
> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# ./cpupdate -vv -I -f
> /usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
> Unsupported version
> Error in [first] header
> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]#
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cpupdate : Unsupported version for Intel CPU?

Eugene Grosbein-10
In reply to this post by Ruben
14.03.2018 23:26, Ruben wrote:

> [root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# fetch
> https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/blob/master/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
> fetch:
> https://github.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/blob/master/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin:
> size of remote file is not known
> cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7D          30 kB  270 kBps

This is wrong URL to download raw blob, paste it to your browser and see for yourself.
Github responds with web page, not binary file.


_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cpupdate : Unsupported version for Intel CPU?

Theron Tarigo
On 03/14/18 13:01, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> This is wrong URL to download raw blob, paste it to your browser and see for yourself.
> Github responds with web page, not binary file.
I had to figure this out recently, working URL is of format
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/${user}/${project}/${branch}/${path}, so

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/platomav/CPUMicrocodes/master/Intel/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin

Ports has some documented mechanism for obtaining a tar snapshot of a
github repository, but is there a common way to fetch only individual files?

Theron
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cpupdate : Unsupported version for Intel CPU?

Ruben
In reply to this post by Eugene Grosbein-10
Hi,

Thank you for pointing that out. Forgot about the "download from github
thing".

Cheers,

Ruben



On 14/03/2018 18:01, Eugene Grosbein wrote:
> This is wrong URL to download raw blob, paste it to your browser and
> see for yourself.
> Github responds with web page, not binary file.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: cpupdate : Unsupported version for Intel CPU?

Ruben
On 14/03/2018 20:22, Ruben wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for pointing that out. Forgot about the "download from github
> thing".
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ruben
>
>
>
Forgot to mention, the tool did update the microcode once the correct
blob was provided.

Regards,

Ruben

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# ./cpupdate -vv -I -f
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
  Blob 1 of 1 headers info:
    Date 2015/08/04
    ucode rev  0x0000001d
    Header ver 0x00000001
    Loader rev 0x00000001
    Data size  9168 (0x23d0)
ProcessorType:  00
ExtFamily: 00  ExtModel: 02
IntFamily: 06  IntModel: 0C
SignatureInt:    206C2
-> Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02
    Flags      3 (0x00000003)

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# ./cpupdate -w -vv -U
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
Found CPU(s) from Intel
/dev/cpuctl0 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 0 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl1 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 1 is up-to-date, not updated.
/dev/cpuctl2 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 2 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl3 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 3 is up-to-date, not updated.
/dev/cpuctl4 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 4 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl5 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 5 is up-to-date, not updated.
/dev/cpuctl6 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 6 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl7 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 7 is up-to-date, not updated.
/dev/cpuctl8 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 8 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl9 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 9 is up-to-date, not updated.
/dev/cpuctl10 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 10 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl11 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 11 is up-to-date, not updated.
/dev/cpuctl12 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 12 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl13 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 13 is up-to-date, not updated.
/dev/cpuctl14 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Updated core 14 from microcode revision 0x0013 to 0x001d
/dev/cpuctl15 identification successful!
File
/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate/cpu206C2_plat03_ver0000001D_2015-08-04_PRD_F7DC758B.bin
contains 1 update blobs
Core 15 is up-to-date, not updated.
[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]#

[root@fbh4:/usr/home/ruben/cpupdate]# ./cpupdate -i
Found CPU(s) from Intel
Processor Core: 0
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 1
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 2
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 3
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 4
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 5
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 6
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 7
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 8
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 9
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 10
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 11
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 12
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 13
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 14
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
Processor Core: 15
-> CPUID: 206c2  Family: 06  Model: 2C  Stepping: 02  uCodeRev: 0000001D
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"