devel/icu... help... ?

Jeff Molofee-3
Can anyone tell me how to get devel/icu installed on FreeBSD 6.X...  I
know 6 is no longer supported.

Have tried rebuilding clean with -O2, this solution did not resolve the
issue.
Have tried rebuilding gmake, this also did not help.

I have also read the "libidn breaks devel/icu" posts online... I do not
believe this is the problem.

if I build the test files manually (iotest, intltest) with gmake, the
build will get further, but still fails in the end.

I have also written to the port maintainer and was told to upgrade my
BSD.  (not useful in this situation).

uname -a:
FreeBSD xxx.domain.local 6.4-STABLE FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE #3: Mon Jun 15
10:30:01 MDT 2009 [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PROXY  i386

====================>

Error:

gmake[0]: Making `all' in `intltest'
gmake[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test/intltest'
c++ -O -pipe -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings
-Wno-long-long  -o intltest aliastst.o allcoll.o apicoll.o astrotst.o
callimts.o calregts.o caltest.o caltztst.o canittst.o citrtest.o
cntabcol.o convtest.o currcoll.o fldset.o dadrfmt.o dadrcal.o dadrcoll.o
dcfmapts.o decoll.o dtfmapts.o dtfmrgts.o dtfmtrtts.o dtfmttst.o
dtptngts.o encoll.o escoll.o ficoll.o frcoll.o g7coll.o intltest.o
itercoll.o itformat.o itmajor.o itutil.o jacoll.o lcukocol.o loctest.o
miscdtfm.o mnkytst.o msfmrgts.o nmfmapts.o nmfmtrt.o numfmtst.o
numrgts.o plurults.o plurfmts.o pptest.o regcoll.o restest.o restsnew.o
sdtfmtts.o svccoll.o tchcfmt.o selfmts.o tfsmalls.o tmsgfmt.o trcoll.o
tscoll.o tsdate.o tsdcfmsy.o tsdtfmsy.o tsmthred.o tsnmfmt.o tsputil.o
tstnrapi.o tstnorm.o tzbdtest.o tzregts.o tztest.o ucdtest.o usettest.o
ustrtest.o strcase.o transtst.o strtest.o thcoll.o bytestrietest.o
ucharstrietest.o itrbbi.o rbbiapts.o rbbitst.o ittrans.o transapi.o
cpdtrtst.o testutil.o transrt.o trnserr.o normconf.o sfwdchit.o
jamotest.o srchtest.o reptest.o regextst.o itrbnf.o itrbnfrt.o itrbnfp.o
ucaconf.o icusvtst.o uobjtest.o idnaref.o idnaconf.o nptrans.o punyref.o
testidn.o testidna.o uts46test.o incaltst.o calcasts.o v32test.o
uvectest.o textfile.o tokiter.o utxttest.o windttst.o winnmtst.o
winutil.o csdetest.o tzrulets.o tzoffloc.o tzfmttst.o ssearch.o
dtifmtts.o tufmtts.o itspoof.o simplethread.o bidiconf.o locnmtst.o
dcfmtest.o alphaindextst.o -L../../tools/ctestfw -licutest -L../../lib
-licui18n -L../../lib -licuuc -L../../stubdata -licudata -L../../lib
-licutu -lm
numfmtst.o(.data+0x17c): undefined reference to `.LC868'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x184): undefined reference to `.LC867'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x188): undefined reference to `.LC869'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x1c4): undefined reference to `.LC868'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x1d0): undefined reference to `.LC869'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x1f4): undefined reference to `.LC868'
gmake[1]: *** [intltest] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test/intltest'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 2
gmake: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test'
*** Error code 2 (ignored)
cd /usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test/iotest && /usr/bin/env
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/lib:/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/tools/ctestfw
./iotest
env: ./iotest: No such file or directory
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/icu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/icu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/icu.

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

Chris Rees-11
On 18 Jul 2011 16:54, "Jeff Molofee" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how to get devel/icu installed on FreeBSD 6.X...  I
know 6 is no longer supported.

Icu is a big and difficult port. Unless you can give us a good reason you
can't upgrade, I'm afraid you're stuck. Releases go unsupported so best
efforts can be put into improvements and keeping ports up to date.

Is it impossible to upgrade? Is this system facing the Internet?

Chris

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

Chris Rees-11
On 18 July 2011 17:17, Jeff Molofee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Error was included in my message.  It seems the tests files are not being
> built during install of the port (which I would think would be a big problem
> for everyone).  When the system gets to the point where it needs to run
> iotest it fails.  If I go into the work directory, and build iotest with
> gmake manually, it then fails on the next test.  I can do this with every
> test file until I get to intltest (I believe).  Then I receive a core dump.
>
> In regards to my system, it's updated daily... I know 6.x hasn't been
> supported since Nov and I am currently working on building an 8.x box... but
> I would still like to get this 6.x box update.
>
> For now it appears to be impossible to upgrade on 6.x :(

I've put ports@ back into the CC list -- I'm probably not the best to
ask about icu.

Hopefully someone else will see why you're still running 6.x and answer.

Chris

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

JoelFRodriguez
Are you serious? Upgrading the OS on a production machine is a really steep price to pay. I've over a thousand working ports and numerous customers that I would have to port afterwards.

You really can't fix what appears to be a reasonable request?

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

Baptiste Daroussin-2
On Tue, 2 Aug 2011 15:34:00 -0700 (PDT), JoelFRodriguez wrote:

> Are you serious? Upgrading the OS on a production machine is a really
> steep
> price to pay. I've over a thousand working ports and numerous
> customers that
> I would have to port afterwards.
>
> You really can't fix what appears to be a reasonable request?

> "[hidden email]"

well we already support 3 version at the same time, which can be
complicated sometime, if we had a fix we would provide it, if someone
comes with fix I'll be happy to integrate it.

But the rules about EOL are clear, and it is easy for production to
have a clear statement on what will be supported and what won't, and to
organize themself with the informations. the portstree is also tagged
when EOL occurs, so why still updating the ports tree after the dead
line?

Another solution can be to pay some freelance to do the fix if really
needed.

icu is a complicated ports and not an easy one to maintain, keeping the
version working on 3 OSes (7 8 and 9) is already a pain.

Last it's free software, you can contribute, maybe you have a fix to
propose, I'll be glad to commit it.

regards,
Bapt

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

dougb
On 08/02/2011 15:34, JoelFRodriguez wrote:
> Are you serious? Upgrading the OS on a production machine is a really steep
> price to pay. I've over a thousand working ports and numerous customers that
> I would have to port afterwards.

FreeBSD 6 has been EOL since November 30, 2010. We have been encouraging
users to move to a newer branch since long before that. It's awesome
that often things work past the EOL date, but we definitely do not
encourage users to rely on that.

We all understand how difficult it is to migrate, but sometimes it's
necessary.

Good luck,

Doug

                        -- OK Go

        Yours for the right price.  :)  http://SupersetSolutions.com/

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

JoelFRodriguez
Thanks for the quick reply and I certainly appreciate your viewpoint.

Are these undefined references defined by FREEBSD? If so, why would you introduce an OS dependency in a library intended to provide unicode support?

c++ -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wpointer-arith -Wwrite-strings -Wno-long-long   -o intltest aliastst.o allcoll.o apic\
oll.o astrotst.o callimts.o calregts.o caltest.o caltztst.o canittst.o citrtest.o cntabcol.o convtest.o currcoll.o fldset.o dadrfmt.o dadrcal.o da\drcoll.o dcfmapts.o decoll.o dtfmapts.o dtfmrgts.o dtfmtrtts.o dtfmttst.o dtptngts.o encoll.o escoll.o ficoll.o frcoll.o g7coll.o intltest.o iterc\
oll.o itformat.o itmajor.o itutil.o jacoll.o lcukocol.o loctest.o miscdtfm.o mnkytst.o msfmrgts.o nmfmapts.o nmfmtrt.o numfmtst.o numrgts.o plurul\
ts.o plurfmts.o pptest.o regcoll.o restest.o restsnew.o sdtfmtts.o svccoll.o tchcfmt.o selfmts.o tfsmalls.o tmsgfmt.o trcoll.o tscoll.o tsdate.o t\
sdcfmsy.o tsdtfmsy.o tsmthred.o tsnmfmt.o tsputil.o tstnrapi.o tstnorm.o tzbdtest.o tzregts.o tztest.o ucdtest.o usettest.o ustrtest.o strcase.o t\
ranstst.o strtest.o thcoll.o bytestrietest.o ucharstrietest.o itrbbi.o rbbiapts.o dicttest.o rbbitst.o ittrans.o transapi.o cpdtrtst.o testutil.o \
transrt.o trnserr.o normconf.o sfwdchit.o jamotest.o srchtest.o reptest.o regextst.o itrbnf.o itrbnfrt.o itrbnfp.o ucaconf.o icusvtst.o uobjtest.o\
 idnaref.o idnaconf.o nptrans.o punyref.o testidn.o testidna.o uts46test.o incaltst.o calcasts.o v32test.o uvectest.o textfile.o tokiter.o utxttes\
t.o windttst.o winnmtst.o winutil.o csdetest.o tzrulets.o tzoffloc.o tzfmttst.o ssearch.o dtifmtts.o tufmtts.o itspoof.o simplethread.o bidiconf.o\
 locnmtst.o dcfmtest.o alphaindextst.o -L../../tools/ctestfw -licutest -L../../lib -licui18n -L../../lib -licuuc -L../../stubdata -licudata -L../.\
./lib -licutu -lm   -lpthread
numfmtst.o(.data+0x30c): undefined reference to `.LC3163'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x314): undefined reference to `.LC3164'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x324): undefined reference to `.LC3165'
numfmtst.o(.data+0x39c): undefined reference to `.LC3171'
gmake[1]: *** [intltest] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test/intltest'
gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 2
gmake: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test'
*** Error code 2 (ignored)
cd /usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test/iotest && /usr/bin/env  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/lib:/usr/ports/devel/icu\
/work/icu/source/tools/ctestfw  ./iotest
env: ./iotest: No such file or directory
*** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/icu.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/icu.

If I ignore the bad refs, then the error looks like a shell syntax problem.

Of course, I only ask because I do not have the time to wade through all your stuff to figure out what is going on. But ICU is required for the latest glib20 build which QT uses.

This stuff has worked fine on my FREEBSD6.2 system until this week. And if I read these msgs correctly, this problem also occurs on FREEBSD8.

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

dougb
On 08/02/2011 17:59, JoelFRodriguez wrote:
> This stuff has worked fine on my FREEBSD6.2 system until this week. And if I
> read these msgs correctly, this problem also occurs on FREEBSD8.

The current icu and glib20 ports work fine on all supported versions of
FreeBSD.

I think bapt's response was very diplomatic, but I'll be more blunt. You
can't expect anyone else to solve this problem for you. We make the
effort (on an almost exclusively volunteer basis) to support what we
agree to support. We gave up on supporting FreeBSD 6 last year.

Doug

                        -- OK Go

        Yours for the right price.  :)  http://SupersetSolutions.com/

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

Eitan Adler-4
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 10:34 PM, JoelFRodriguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Are you serious? Upgrading the OS on a production machine is a really steep
> price to pay. I've over a thousand working ports and numerous customers that
> I would have to port afterwards.

The official policy is that once a branch goes EOL the porting
framework (bsd.port.mk) is tested and compatible. The QA and package
building scripts are also run on supported branches. Individual ports
are handled by the maintainer of that port. (I'm not a comitter, just
stating what I've read elsewhere)

On a less official note: I've found that maintainers are generally
helpful with this sort of thing and would be willing to apply a patch
to make it work on 6.x if it provided to them.  The maintainer in this
case is [hidden email] (see "make maintainer")

> You really can't fix what appears to be a reasonable request?

As others in this thread have said: you can't expect us to do the work
for you but it shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself.

This all said I do want to point out that once a branch is EOL no more
security or stability patches are provided. It would be well worth
moving over to a newer version of FreeBSD.

--
Eitan Adler

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

b.f.
> Thanks for the quick reply and I certainly appreciate your viewpoint.
>
> Are these undefined references defined by FREEBSD? If so, why would you
> introduce an OS dependency in a library intended to provide unicode support?

It is difficult to say, from the limited information, whether the
failure is due to the use of an older toolchain ( gcc 3.4.x , etc.),
or some difference in other parts of the base system.  It is
inevitable that icu will depend upon some features of the base system,
on almost any platform.

> c++ -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wpointer-arith
> -Wwrite-strings -Wno-long-long   -o intltest aliastst.o allcoll.o apic\
> oll.o astrotst.o callimts.o calregts.o caltest.o caltztst.o canittst.o
> citrtest.o cntabcol.o convtest.o currcoll.o fldset.o dadrfmt.o dadrcal.o
> da\drcoll.o dcfmapts.o decoll.o dtfmapts.o dtfmrgts.o dtfmtrtts.o dtfmttst.o
> dtptngts.o encoll.o escoll.o ficoll.o frcoll.o g7coll.o intltest.o iterc\
> oll.o itformat.o itmajor.o itutil.o jacoll.o lcukocol.o loctest.o miscdtfm.o
> mnkytst.o msfmrgts.o nmfmapts.o nmfmtrt.o numfmtst.o numrgts.o plurul\
> ts.o plurfmts.o pptest.o regcoll.o restest.o restsnew.o sdtfmtts.o svccoll.o
> tchcfmt.o selfmts.o tfsmalls.o tmsgfmt.o trcoll.o tscoll.o tsdate.o t\
> sdcfmsy.o tsdtfmsy.o tsmthred.o tsnmfmt.o tsputil.o tstnrapi.o tstnorm.o
> tzbdtest.o tzregts.o tztest.o ucdtest.o usettest.o ustrtest.o strcase.o t\
> ranstst.o strtest.o thcoll.o bytestrietest.o ucharstrietest.o itrbbi.o
> rbbiapts.o dicttest.o rbbitst.o ittrans.o transapi.o cpdtrtst.o testutil.o \
> transrt.o trnserr.o normconf.o sfwdchit.o jamotest.o srchtest.o reptest.o
> regextst.o itrbnf.o itrbnfrt.o itrbnfp.o ucaconf.o icusvtst.o uobjtest.o\
>  idnaref.o idnaconf.o nptrans.o punyref.o testidn.o testidna.o uts46test.o
> incaltst.o calcasts.o v32test.o uvectest.o textfile.o tokiter.o utxttes\
> t.o windttst.o winnmtst.o winutil.o csdetest.o tzrulets.o tzoffloc.o
> tzfmttst.o ssearch.o dtifmtts.o tufmtts.o itspoof.o simplethread.o
> bidiconf.o\
>  locnmtst.o dcfmtest.o alphaindextst.o -L../../tools/ctestfw -licutest
> -L../../lib -licui18n -L../../lib -licuuc -L../../stubdata -licudata -L../.\
> ./lib -licutu -lm   -lpthread
> numfmtst.o(.data+0x30c): undefined reference to `.LC3163'
> numfmtst.o(.data+0x314): undefined reference to `.LC3164'
> numfmtst.o(.data+0x324): undefined reference to `.LC3165'
> numfmtst.o(.data+0x39c): undefined reference to `.LC3171'
> gmake[1]: *** [intltest] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test/intltest'
> gmake: *** [all-recursive] Error 2
> gmake: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test'
> *** Error code 2 (ignored)
> cd /usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/test/iotest && /usr/bin/env
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/devel/icu/work/icu/source/lib:/usr/ports/devel/icu\
> /work/icu/source/tools/ctestfw  ./iotest
> env: ./iotest: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 127
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/icu.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/devel/icu.
>
> If I ignore the bad refs, then the error looks like a shell syntax problem.

You can't ignore the bad refs.  The port can't run iotest, because
iotest was not built: the port terminated the building of the tests
after it failed to build intltest, but continued, and attempted to run
the tests, because the commands that build the tests are preceded by a
"-" in the port Makefile.

> Of course, I only ask because I do not have the time to wade through all
> your stuff to figure out what is going on. But ICU is required for the
> latest glib20 build which QT uses.
>
> This stuff has worked fine on my FREEBSD6.2 system until this week. And if I
> read these msgs correctly, this problem also occurs on FREEBSD8.

This doesn't help unless you provide specific information about the
last working versions of the central ports Makefiles, icu, and all
ports that icu depends upon.  I don't know what message(s) you're
referring to about failures on 8.x.

You could try building the port with a newer toolchain by setting
USE_GCC to an appropriate value in your build environment or an
included Makefile.  Or you could disable the tests (e.g., by removing
"post-build" from the following port Makefile line:

     84 post-build test regression-test: iotest cintltst intltest

), or at least ignore the test outcomes (e.g., by adding a leading "-"
to the group of commands that run the tests).  If those two
alternatives fail, or aren't acceptable, then you will have to debug
the build.

b.

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

JoelFRodriguez
Hi, I just wanted to follow up. Thank you for clarifying that the problem was with using the FREEBSD62 core gcc compiler. Forcing gcc42 solved the build issue. I'm working on getting gcc45 installed per your recommendations.

Thanks for going above the call of duty for support on FREEBSD62.

Joel

Re: devel/icu... help... ?

Eitan Adler-4
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 5:06 AM, JoelFRodriguez <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, I just wanted to follow up. Thank you for clarifying that the problem was
> with using the FREEBSD62 core gcc compiler. Forcing gcc42 solved the build
> issue. I'm working on getting gcc45 installed per your recommendations.
>
> Thanks for going above the call of duty for support on FREEBSD62.

You may want to ask [hidden email] (a newly formed team) to add a
patch to the Makefile. They may or may not be pleased to do so but it
couldn't hurt to try ;-).

--
Eitan Adler