enabling kernel dump options in GENERIC

Mark Johnston-2
Hi,

Over the past couple of years, a number of kernel dump features have
been added: encryption, compression and dumping to a remote host
(netdump). These features are currently all omitted from GENERIC.

Adding the EKCD, GZIO, ZSTDIO and NETDUMP kernel options gives only a
small increase in the size of amd64 GENERIC kernels:

stock GENERIC: 31026016 bytes
modified GENERIC: 31033000 bytes

stock GENERIC-NODEBUG: 30995592 bytes
modified GENERIC-NODEBUG: 31002680 bytes

(The GZIO and ZSTDIO options also enable support for compressed user core
dumps.) Therefore, I'd like to propose enabling these features by default
on i386, amd64, arm64, powerpc(64) and sparc64 so that they're available
out of the box in 12.0. Does anyone have concerns or objections around
this? I've posted the corresponding change here:
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15465

Re: enabling kernel dump options in GENERIC

Conrad Meyer-2
On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Mark Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past couple of years, a number of kernel dump features have
> been added: encryption, compression and dumping to a remote host
> (netdump). These features are currently all omitted from GENERIC.

I don't have anything substantive to add, but as someone who has
code-reviewed, written, and/or used a bunch of these features at
$DAYJOB, I'd love to see them built by default in GENERIC — even if
disabled by default (compression — the others don't have a sane
default configuration).  I don't think GZIO is especially useful if we
enable ZSTDIO, but at the same time I think it's harmless to enable as
an option.

Thanks,
Conrad

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:57:35AM -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:

> On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Mark Johnston <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Over the past couple of years, a number of kernel dump features have
> > been added: encryption, compression and dumping to a remote host
> > (netdump). These features are currently all omitted from GENERIC.
>
> I don't have anything substantive to add, but as someone who has
> code-reviewed, written, and/or used a bunch of these features at
> $DAYJOB, I'd love to see them built by default in GENERIC — even if
> disabled by default (compression — the others don't have a sane
> default configuration).  I don't think GZIO is especially useful if we
> enable ZSTDIO, but at the same time I think it's harmless to enable as
> an option.

Yeah, given that the size increase is very small, I didn't see a reason
to specifically exclude GZIO. I can also imagine a scenario where one
uses GZIO+netdump to send dumps to a host lacking zstd(1).