est on newer CPU

Milan Obuch-22
Hi,

I have currently installed FreeBSD on HP gen10 server. With an
exception of HP RAID controller, needs to be switched to SATA mode,
everything went well (OK, I did some errors so it was a bit of
trials-errors but basically no problem).

Now I found there is not working powerd - in dmesg

est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 20b600002500
device_attach: est0 attach returned 6

CPU is

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5400 CPU @ 3.70GHz (3696.18-MHz K8-class CPU)

Actual system version is

12.0-STABLE FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r344230

Is there something I can do to get est recognize this CPU and get
working powerd?

Regards,
Milan

Re: est on newer CPU

Ben Widawsky-3
On 19-02-18 18:01:19, Milan Obuch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have currently installed FreeBSD on HP gen10 server. With an
> exception of HP RAID controller, needs to be switched to SATA mode,
> everything went well (OK, I did some errors so it was a bit of
> trials-errors but basically no problem).
>
> Now I found there is not working powerd - in dmesg
>
> est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 20b600002500
> device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
>
> CPU is
>
> CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5400 CPU @ 3.70GHz (3696.18-MHz K8-class CPU)
>
> Actual system version is
>
> 12.0-STABLE FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r344230
>
> Is there something I can do to get est recognize this CPU and get
> working powerd?
>
> Regards,
> Milan

To start with, can you try
hw.est.msr_info=1

Also, is acpi_perf being loaded?

Re: est on newer CPU

Milan Obuch-22
On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:44:57 -0800
Ben Widawsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 19-02-18 18:01:19, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have currently installed FreeBSD on HP gen10 server. With an
> > exception of HP RAID controller, needs to be switched to SATA mode,
> > everything went well (OK, I did some errors so it was a bit of
> > trials-errors but basically no problem).
> >
> > Now I found there is not working powerd - in dmesg
> >
> > est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> > est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 20b600002500
> > device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> >
> > CPU is
> >
> > CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5400 CPU @ 3.70GHz (3696.18-MHz
> > K8-class CPU)
> >
> > Actual system version is
> >
> > 12.0-STABLE FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r344230
> >
> > Is there something I can do to get est recognize this CPU and get
> > working powerd?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Milan
>
> To start with, can you try
> hw.est.msr_info=1

Well, I tried and put this line into /boot/loader.conf, but the result
was endless boot loop. No idea what is wrong... it just quickly loops,
most probably inserted line is causing system reset.

> Also, is acpi_perf being loaded?

No, there is no such file in /boot/kernel at all.

Also, I tried 13-CURRENT last snapshot, it boot OK, but the net result
is the same - est could not attach, because CPU is not recognized.

On another system, with different Intel CPU, it works.

Milan

Re: est on newer CPU

Milan Obuch-22
On Wed, 20 Feb 2019 12:23:47 +0100
Milan Obuch <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:44:57 -0800
> Ben Widawsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 19-02-18 18:01:19, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have currently installed FreeBSD on HP gen10 server. With an
> > > exception of HP RAID controller, needs to be switched to SATA
> > > mode, everything went well (OK, I did some errors so it was a bit
> > > of trials-errors but basically no problem).
> > >
> > > Now I found there is not working powerd - in dmesg
> > >
> > > est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> > > est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 20b600002500
> > > device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> > >
> > > CPU is
> > >
> > > CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5400 CPU @ 3.70GHz (3696.18-MHz
> > > K8-class CPU)

Also, boot in verbose mode does not reveal any additional info
regarding est.

Milan

Re: est on newer CPU

Ben Widawsky-3
On 19-02-20 12:23:47, Milan Obuch wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 12:44:57 -0800
> Ben Widawsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 19-02-18 18:01:19, Milan Obuch wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have currently installed FreeBSD on HP gen10 server. With an
> > > exception of HP RAID controller, needs to be switched to SATA mode,
> > > everything went well (OK, I did some errors so it was a bit of
> > > trials-errors but basically no problem).
> > >
> > > Now I found there is not working powerd - in dmesg
> > >
> > > est: CPU supports Enhanced Speedstep, but is not recognized.
> > > est: cpu_vendor GenuineIntel, msr 20b600002500
> > > device_attach: est0 attach returned 6
> > >
> > > CPU is
> > >
> > > CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Gold G5400 CPU @ 3.70GHz (3696.18-MHz
> > > K8-class CPU)
> > >
> > > Actual system version is
> > >
> > > 12.0-STABLE FreeBSD 12.0-STABLE r344230
> > >
> > > Is there something I can do to get est recognize this CPU and get
> > > working powerd?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Milan
> >
> > To start with, can you try
> > hw.est.msr_info=1
> >

> Well, I tried and put this line into /boot/loader.conf, but the result
> was endless boot loop. No idea what is wrong... it just quickly loops,
> most probably inserted line is causing system reset.
>
> > Also, is acpi_perf being loaded?
> >

> No, there is no such file in /boot/kernel at all.

It wouldn't be in /boot/kernel, if you're not explicitly disabling it, it should
be there. I have a feeling your ACPI tables have some weirdness to them. Might
be worth looking for a BIOS upgrade if you haven't already.

I can't look right away, but you could put a dump of your acpi tables for later
debug.