/etc/termcap

Sergey Matveychuk-4
Why /etc/termcap is moved to /usr/share/misc?
I know it's happened for ages. But it makes /rescue/vi complete useless
without /usr mounted.

I think we need some workaround for it.
May be to hack vi to be less strict when it can't open termcap and just fall
in a dumb mode?

--
Sem.

Re: /etc/termcap

Gleb Smirnoff
On Wed, Feb 22, 2006 at 07:14:00PM +0300, Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
S> Why /etc/termcap is moved to /usr/share/misc?
S> I know it's happened for ages. But it makes /rescue/vi complete useless
S> without /usr mounted.
S>
S> I think we need some workaround for it.
S> May be to hack vi to be less strict when it can't open termcap and just fall
S> in a dumb mode?

Not a solution for FreeBSD, but a solution for you. I usually copy the
termcap file into /usr/share/misc, when /usr is not mounted.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE

Re: /etc/termcap

Dag-Erling Smørgrav
"Sergey Matveychuk" <[hidden email]> writes:
> Why /etc/termcap is moved to /usr/share/misc?

Historically because it is fairly large (200 kB for the raw file and
1300 kB for the db file).  However, I don't think this matters much
any more; we might as well install the file in /etc and the symlink in
/usr/share/misc instead of the other way around.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - [hidden email]

Re: /etc/termcap

Sergey Matveychuk-4
2006/2/22, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <[hidden email]>:

> "Sergey Matveychuk" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > Why /etc/termcap is moved to /usr/share/misc?
>
> Historically because it is fairly large (200 kB for the raw file and
> 1300 kB for the db file).  However, I don't think this matters much
> any more; we might as well install the file in /etc and the symlink in
> /usr/share/misc instead of the other way around.

A CVS log saies: 'make install should not install any file in /etc.'
I think it's a good time to back the file in /etc and make mergemaster to
care for it.  It makes a sense as people will able keep changes in it.

--
Sem.