failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Ion-Mihai Tetcu-3
Hi,

I'm trying to install FreeBSD on :
VMWare ESXi, 6.0.0, 5050593

Guest OS: FreeBSD (64-bit)
Compatibility: ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)

For 11.1R I'm getting the boot menu, then:
/boot/kernel/kernel text=014972f8
elf64_loadimage: read failed
can't load file: '/boot/kernel/kernel': input/output error
(for 10.4R similar just with a different address).

SCSI Adapatr for the VM is set to LSI Logic (but I've tried with the
other available options with the same result).

VMWare docs list both 10 and 11 as being compatible with this version
of ESXi.
Any pointers to get through this will be greatly appreciated, I didn't
found anything on the net, and I need a sane system to play with when
I'm getting tired of the ton of Linux distros I'm forced to use.

Tnx,

--
IOnut Tetcu

---

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> Hi,
>

> I'm trying to install FreeBSD on :
> VMWare ESXi, 6.0.0, 5050593
>
> Guest OS: FreeBSD (64-bit)
> Compatibility: ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)
>
> For 11.1R I'm getting the boot menu, then:
> /boot/kernel/kernel text=014972f8
> elf64_loadimage: read failed
> can't load file: '/boot/kernel/kernel': input/output error
> (for 10.4R similar just with a different address).
>
> SCSI Adapatr for the VM is set to LSI Logic (but I've tried with the
> other available options with the same result).
>
> VMWare docs list both 10 and 11 as being compatible with this version
> of ESXi.
> Any pointers to get through this will be greatly appreciated, I didn't
> found anything on the net, and I need a sane system to play with when
> I'm getting tired of the ton of Linux distros I'm forced to use.

Try setting the BIOS emulation to BIOS instead of UEFI.

And what image are you trying to boot from?
Are you trying to boot from a cd attached via vsphere client? or
is it a file on the server?

I usually use a .ISO when working with ESXi and FreeBSD as a guest.

I run these guest on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.5, I do not have any 6.0.0.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Ion-Mihai Tetcu-3
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
"Rodney W. Grimes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > Hi,
> >

> > I'm trying to install FreeBSD on :
> > VMWare ESXi, 6.0.0, 5050593
> >
> > Guest OS: FreeBSD (64-bit)
> > Compatibility: ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)
> >
> > For 11.1R I'm getting the boot menu, then:
> > /boot/kernel/kernel text=014972f8
> > elf64_loadimage: read failed
> > can't load file: '/boot/kernel/kernel': input/output error
> > (for 10.4R similar just with a different address).
> >
> > SCSI Adapatr for the VM is set to LSI Logic (but I've tried with the
> > other available options with the same result).
> >
> > VMWare docs list both 10 and 11 as being compatible with this
> > version of ESXi.
> > Any pointers to get through this will be greatly appreciated, I
> > didn't found anything on the net, and I need a sane system to play
> > with when I'm getting tired of the ton of Linux distros I'm forced
> > to use.
>
> Try setting the BIOS emulation to BIOS instead of UEFI.

The WM is set:
Firmware: BIOS.
Boot Delay: 0ms
Force BIOS setup: No
Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual machine fails to find a boot device
EFI Secure Boot: Disabled

> And what image are you trying to boot from?
> Are you trying to boot from a cd attached via vsphere client? or
> is it a file on the server?

I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server, didn't
even tried from the client.

> I usually use a .ISO when working with ESXi and FreeBSD as a guest.

I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.

> I run these guest on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.5, I do not have any 6.0.0.

Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106

--
IOnut

---

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 22:38:51 -0700 (PDT)
> "Rodney W. Grimes" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > > Hi,
> > >

> > > I'm trying to install FreeBSD on :
> > > VMWare ESXi, 6.0.0, 5050593
> > >
> > > Guest OS: FreeBSD (64-bit)
> > > Compatibility: ESXi 6.0 and later (VM version 11)
> > >
> > > For 11.1R I'm getting the boot menu, then:
> > > /boot/kernel/kernel text=014972f8
> > > elf64_loadimage: read failed
> > > can't load file: '/boot/kernel/kernel': input/output error
> > > (for 10.4R similar just with a different address).
> > >
> > > SCSI Adapatr for the VM is set to LSI Logic (but I've tried with the
> > > other available options with the same result).
> > >
> > > VMWare docs list both 10 and 11 as being compatible with this
> > > version of ESXi.
> > > Any pointers to get through this will be greatly appreciated, I
> > > didn't found anything on the net, and I need a sane system to play
> > > with when I'm getting tired of the ton of Linux distros I'm forced
> > > to use.
> >
> > Try setting the BIOS emulation to BIOS instead of UEFI.
>
> The WM is set:
> Firmware: BIOS.
> Boot Delay: 0ms
> Force BIOS setup: No
> Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual machine fails to find a boot device
> EFI Secure Boot: Disabled

Those all look good from my experience.

> > And what image are you trying to boot from?
> > Are you trying to boot from a cd attached via vsphere client? or
> > is it a file on the server?
>
> I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server, didn't
> even tried from the client.

Ok, so that is also the same procedure I am trying.

Now, which .ISO is it?  Maybe you have a broken snapshots.  Lots of
bootcode work has been going on in -current.  Can you try the 11.1
release ISO either i386 or amd64?

I know that installs as I have done that many times.

> > I usually use a .ISO when working with ESXi and FreeBSD as a guest.
>
> I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.

I have NOT ever tried that, so have no data there.

> > I run these guest on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.5, I do not have any 6.0.0.
>
> Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
> running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106

It should just work, I have played with ESXi 6.0.0 at one
time or another and would have a good recollection if I had issues
booting any FreeBSD distributions on it.  At present I do not have
any 6.0.0 running, though I could fix that in a matter of minutes.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Ion-Mihai Tetcu-3
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 08:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
"Rodney W. Grimes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Try setting the BIOS emulation to BIOS instead of UEFI.
> >
> > The WM is set:
> > Firmware: BIOS.
> > Boot Delay: 0ms
> > Force BIOS setup: No
> > Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual
> > machine fails to find a boot device EFI Secure Boot: Disabled
>
> Those all look good from my experience.
>
> > > And what image are you trying to boot from?
> > > Are you trying to boot from a cd attached via vsphere client? or
> > > is it a file on the server?
> >
> > I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server,
> > didn't even tried from the client.
>
> Ok, so that is also the same procedure I am trying.
>
> Now, which .ISO is it?  Maybe you have a broken snapshots.  Lots of
> bootcode work has been going on in -current.  Can you try the 11.1
> release ISO either i386 or amd64?
>
> I know that installs as I have done that many times.

FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso
FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
Tried this one after 11.1 failed FreeBSD-10.4-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso

I just downloaded the FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso from the
data store and checked the sha256 against the one on the ftp site and
it's OK, so except if vshpere somehow corrupts files on upload and
fixes them on download I think the image is OK.

> > > I usually use a .ISO when working with ESXi and FreeBSD as a
> > > guest.
> >
> > I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.
>
> I have NOT ever tried that, so have no data there.
>
> > > I run these guest on ESXi 5.5 and ESXi 6.5, I do not have any
> > > 6.0.0.
> >
> > Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
> > running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106
>
> It should just work, I have played with ESXi 6.0.0 at one
> time or another and would have a good recollection if I had issues
> booting any FreeBSD distributions on it.  At present I do not have
> any 6.0.0 running, though I could fix that in a matter of minutes.

I relocated the VM on one of the 6.5.0 hosts (just the VM, not anything
else) and got the same result trying to boot the 10.4R boot-only ISO).
Would it make any diff if I create the VM from scratch on that host?

Tnx,

--
IOnut Tetcu

---

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 08:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
> "Rodney W. Grimes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > The WM is set:
> > > Firmware: BIOS.
> > > Boot Delay: 0ms
> > > Force BIOS setup: No
> > > Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual
> > > machine fails to find a boot device EFI Secure Boot: Disabled
> >
> > Those all look good from my experience.

> > > I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server,
> > > didn't even tried from the client.
> >
> > Ok, so that is also the same procedure I am trying.
> >
> > Now, which .ISO is it?  Maybe you have a broken snapshots.  Lots of
> > bootcode work has been going on in -current.  Can you try the 11.1
> > release ISO either i386 or amd64?
> >
> > I know that installs as I have done that many times.
>
> FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso
> FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
> Tried this one after 11.1 failed FreeBSD-10.4-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
>
> I just downloaded the FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso from the
> data store and checked the sha256 against the one on the ftp site and
> it's OK, so except if vshpere somehow corrupts files on upload and
> fixes them on download I think the image is OK.

And of somewhat known status, I usually use the disc1, but that
should not matter... unless the dvd emulation is scewing things
up.  But the bootonly.iso should be fine, that is under 700MB

> > > I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.
> >
> > I have NOT ever tried that, so have no data there.

> > > Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
> > > running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106
> >
> > It should just work, I have played with ESXi 6.0.0 at one
> > time or another and would have a good recollection if I had issues
> > booting any FreeBSD distributions on it.  At present I do not have
> > any 6.0.0 running, though I could fix that in a matter of minutes.
>
> I relocated the VM on one of the 6.5.0 hosts (just the VM, not anything
> else) and got the same result trying to boot the 10.4R boot-only ISO).
> Would it make any diff if I create the VM from scratch on that host?

Um, moving .vmx files around between versions of vsphere has to be
done with a good deal of care, and given your having "issues" to
start with I would not add that complexity to this problem.

Create an new empty vm on 6.5.0, and use HW level 8, that is portable
accross 5.5 to 6.5.

Also try sticking with ONLY IDE disks and cdrom, that might
be causing an issue.

Then if it fails send me the .vmx file for the VM so I can look at
it for differences in what I am using to seeing.

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Rainer Duffner
Can you export the empty VM and make it available for download somewhere?

If you zero the disks with dd before exporting, it should compress very nicely.

I only have Fusion to test, though.

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Matthew Grooms
On 4/6/2018 12:40 PM, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:

> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 08:39:27 -0700 (PDT)
> "Rodney W. Grimes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The WM is set:
>>> Firmware: BIOS.
>>> Boot Delay: 0ms
>>> Force BIOS setup: No
>>> Failed boot recovery: Do not automatically retry after virtual
>>> machine fails to find a boot device EFI Secure Boot: Disabled
>> Those all look good from my experience.

>>> I've uploaded the ISOs on one of the data stores on the server,
>>> didn't even tried from the client.
>> Ok, so that is also the same procedure I am trying.
>>
>> Now, which .ISO is it?  Maybe you have a broken snapshots.  Lots of
>> bootcode work has been going on in -current.  Can you try the 11.1
>> release ISO either i386 or amd64?
>>
>> I know that installs as I have done that many times.
> FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-dvd1.iso
> FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
> Tried this one after 11.1 failed FreeBSD-10.4-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso
>
> I just downloaded the FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso from the
> data store and checked the sha256 against the one on the ftp site and
> it's OK, so except if vshpere somehow corrupts files on upload and
> fixes them on download I think the image is OK.

>>> I'll try with the vmdk image of the release now.
>> I have NOT ever tried that, so have no data there.

>>> Hm, I guess I could try on 6.5 as an other cluster with has hosts
>>> running VMware ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106
>> It should just work, I have played with ESXi 6.0.0 at one
>> time or another and would have a good recollection if I had issues
>> booting any FreeBSD distributions on it.  At present I do not have
>> any 6.0.0 running, though I could fix that in a matter of minutes.
>
> I relocated the VM on one of the 6.5.0 hosts (just the VM, not anything
> else) and got the same result trying to boot the 10.4R boot-only ISO).
> Would it make any diff if I create the VM from scratch on that host?

I have about 40 FreeBSD 10.3/10.4 VMs that were installed on a vSphere
ESXi v6.0 cluster that has since been upgraded recently to v6.5. As a
test, I just booted 11.1 from an ISO ( FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-disc1
) using the FreeBSD-64bit OS template defaults and it reaches the
installer welcome screen without issue. Here is a copy of the vmx file
if you'd like to compare. Perhaps your host is selecting a different set
of defaults for some reason? ...

[root@esxi1:/vmfs/volumes/552c8e27-b1f51fec-9bf8-90e2ba090e50/test-freebsd11]
cat test-freebsd11.vmx
.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "13"
nvram = "test-freebsd11.nvram"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
svga.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
numvcpus = "2"
memSize = "2048"
sched.cpu.units = "mhz"
sched.cpu.affinity = "all"
tools.upgrade.policy = "manual"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
scsi0:0.fileName = "test-freebsd11.vmdk"
sched.scsi0:0.shares = "normal"
sched.scsi0:0.throughputCap = "off"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "Production A"
ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:bc:a5:be"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
ide0:0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "emptyBackingString"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
displayName = "test-freebsd11"
guestOS = "freebsd-64"
toolScripts.afterPowerOn = "TRUE"
toolScripts.afterResume = "TRUE"
toolScripts.beforeSuspend = "TRUE"
toolScripts.beforePowerOff = "TRUE"
uuid.bios = "42 3c ab 70 1b b3 53 b9-1f a4 f2 b4 2f a8 f2 e6"
vc.uuid = "50 3c 76 0f 06 b5 37 cc-50 f7 35 c4 c6 34 29 fe"
migrate.hostLog = "test-freebsd11-1927f738.hlog"
sched.cpu.min = "0"
sched.cpu.shares = "normal"
sched.mem.min = "0"
sched.mem.minSize = "0"
sched.mem.shares = "normal"
numa.autosize.vcpu.maxPerVirtualNode = "2"
numa.autosize.cookie = "20001"
sched.swap.derivedName =
"/vmfs/volumes/552c8e27-b1f51fec-9bf8-90e2ba090e50/test-freebsd11/test-freebsd11-9923576a.vswp"
uuid.location = "56 4d 9b 92 f9 2e 4a 68-f6 6a b2 22 17 43 d5 7e"
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmci0.id = "799601382"
monitor.phys_bits_used = "43"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "4194304"
vmotion.checkpointSVGAPrimarySize = "4194304"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
softPowerOff = "FALSE"
checkpoint.vmState = ""

Does the ESXi host install any another OS successfully? Perhaps your
having a hardware issues of some sort.

Hope this helps,

-Matthew

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Ion-Mihai Tetcu-3
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 11:30:26 -0700 (PDT)
"Rodney W. Grimes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

 [ .. ]

> > I relocated the VM on one of the 6.5.0 hosts (just the VM, not
> > anything else) and got the same result trying to boot the 10.4R
> > boot-only ISO). Would it make any diff if I create the VM from
> > scratch on that host?
>
> Um, moving .vmx files around between versions of vsphere has to be
> done with a good deal of care, and given your having "issues" to
> start with I would not add that complexity to this problem.
>
> Create an new empty vm on 6.5.0, and use HW level 8, that is portable
> accross 5.5 to 6.5.
>
> Also try sticking with ONLY IDE disks and cdrom, that might
> be causing an issue.

OK I created a new machine, almost with defaults (changed the disk to
IDE and independent-nonpersistent, put the CDROM on the same
controller) on 6.5.0 with Compatibility set to ESXi 5.0 and later (VM
version 8) and the installer booted OK, got to the welcome screen.
I'll play more tomorrow since it's almost midnight and I have to be up
in 4h. Many thanks for the help.

Here's the vmx of it:

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "8"
nvram = "FREEBSD-test2.nvram"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
svga.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
memSize = "1024"
sched.cpu.units = "mhz"
sched.cpu.affinity = "all"
sched.cpu.latencySensitivity = "normal"
sched.mem.affinity = "all"
powerType.powerOff = "default"
powerType.suspend = "default"
powerType.reset = "default"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "FREEBSD-test2.vmdk"
ide0:0.mode = "independent-nonpersistent"
sched.ide0:0.shares = "normal"
sched.ide0:0.throughputCap = "off"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:8d:99:50"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:1.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide0:1.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/59258945-94251612-6fa4-3c4a92e1d6b8/ISO/FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso"
ide0:1.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
floppy0.fileName = "vmware-null-remote-floppy"
displayName = "FREEBSD-test2"
guestOS = "freebsd-64"
toolScripts.afterPowerOn = "TRUE"
toolScripts.afterResume = "TRUE"
toolScripts.beforeSuspend = "TRUE"
toolScripts.beforePowerOff = "TRUE"
uuid.bios = "42 0d 6c 09 83 cf 81 5d-12 6d a8 de 4d 1a 3a d6"
vc.uuid = "50 0d 05 1e 9d 59 64 6a-c5 a8 b4 1b b4 f6 55 9a"
migrate.hostLog = "FREEBSD-test2-490e49c9.hlog"
sched.cpu.min = "0"
sched.cpu.shares = "normal"
sched.mem.min = "0"
sched.mem.minSize = "0"
sched.mem.shares = "normal"
numa.autosize.vcpu.maxPerVirtualNode = "1"
numa.autosize.cookie = "10001"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/59258945-94251612-6fa4-3c4a92e1d6b8/FREEBSD-test2/FREEBSD-test2-6b4fc32b.vswp"
uuid.location = "56 4d af 84 7d ea 6b 51-e6 40 16 dd 81 07 1c 64"
ide0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmci0.id = "1293564630"
hostCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
hostCPUID.1 = "000306e40020080077bee3ffbfebfbff"
hostCPUID.80000001 = "0000000000000000000000012c100800"
guestCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
guestCPUID.1 = "000306e400010800969822030fabfbff"
guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000128100800"
userCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
userCPUID.1 = "000306e400010800969822030fabfbff"
userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000128100800"
evcCompatibilityMode = "FALSE"
monitor.phys_bits_used = "40"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "4194304"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
softPowerOff = "FALSE"

And here's the one that fails to boot:

.encoding = "UTF-8"
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "11"
nvram = "FREEBSD TESTE.nvram"
pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
svga.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge4.functions = "8"
pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge5.functions = "8"
pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge6.functions = "8"
pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
pciBridge7.functions = "8"
vmci0.present = "TRUE"
hpet0.present = "TRUE"
numvcpus = "2"
memSize = "4"
sched.cpu.units = "mhz"
sched.cpu.affinity = "all"
sched.mem.affinity = "all"
powerType.powerOff = "soft"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "soft"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.deviceType = "scsi-hardDisk"
scsi0:0.fileName = "FREEBSD TESTE.vmdk"
sched.scsi0:0.shares = "normal"
sched.scsi0:0.throughputCap = "off"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
ethernet0.networkName = "VM Network"
ethernet0.addressType = "vpx"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:50:56:8d:16:12"
ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide1:0.fileName = "/vmfs/volumes/59258945-94251612-6fa4-3c4a92e1d6b8/ISO/FreeBSD-10.4-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
floppy0.clientDevice = "TRUE"
floppy0.fileName = "vmware-null-remote-floppy"
displayName = "FREEBSD TESTE"
guestOS = "freebsd-64"
toolScripts.afterPowerOn = "TRUE"
toolScripts.afterResume = "TRUE"
toolScripts.beforeSuspend = "TRUE"
toolScripts.beforePowerOff = "TRUE"
uuid.bios = "42 0d 30 04 8a 71 92 9b-43 6e b2 94 90 6a ac 3a"
vc.uuid = "50 0d de ad cb e0 9b 3c-f1 1c d5 56 2e 98 d9 a5"
sched.cpu.min = "0"
sched.cpu.shares = "normal"
sched.mem.min = "0"
sched.mem.minSize = "0"
sched.mem.shares = "normal"
virtualHW.productCompatibility = "hosted"
sched.swap.derivedName = "/vmfs/volumes/59258945-94251612-6fa4-3c4a92e1d6b8/FREEBSD TESTE/FREEBSD TESTE-b65a4b76.vswp"
replay.supported = "FALSE"
replay.filename = ""
migrate.hostlog = "./FREEBSD TESTE-b65a4b76.hlog"
scsi0:0.redo = ""
pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
vmci0.id = "-1872057286"
monitor.phys_bits_used = "42"
vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "4194304"
vmotion.checkpointSVGAPrimarySize = "4194304"
cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
softPowerOff = "FALSE"
tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
scsi0.sasWWID = "50 05 05 64 8a 71 92 90"
sata0.pciSlotNumber = "34"
sata0.present = "TRUE"
config.readOnly = "FALSE"
numa.autosize.vcpu.maxPerVirtualNode = "2"
numa.autosize.cookie = "20001"

---

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Rodney W. Grimes-4
> Lol, looking over the one that fails ... RAM is set at 4MB. Which I
> think it might be the default on that cluster for some reason.
> I'll test now with a sane amount of RAM. Apologies for the noise.
>
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 23:44:17 +0300
> Ion-Mihai Tetcu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >  [ .. ]

> > > Um, moving .vmx files around between versions of vsphere has to be
> > > done with a good deal of care, and given your having "issues" to
> > > start with I would not add that complexity to this problem.
> > >
> > > Create an new empty vm on 6.5.0, and use HW level 8, that is
> > > portable accross 5.5 to 6.5.
> > >
> > > Also try sticking with ONLY IDE disks and cdrom, that might
> > > be causing an issue.
> >
> > OK I created a new machine, almost with defaults (changed the disk to
> > IDE and independent-nonpersistent, put the CDROM on the same
> > controller) on 6.5.0 with Compatibility set to ESXi 5.0 and later (VM
> > version 8) and the installer booted OK, got to the welcome screen.
> > I'll play more tomorrow since it's almost midnight and I have to be up
> > in 4h. Many thanks for the help.
> >

> > Here's the vmx of it:
> > >>>
> > .encoding = "UTF-8"
> > config.version = "8"
> > virtualHW.version = "8"
> > nvram = "FREEBSD-test2.nvram"
> > pciBridge0.present = "TRUE"
> > svga.present = "TRUE"
> > pciBridge4.present = "TRUE"
> > pciBridge4.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
> > pciBridge4.functions = "8"
> > pciBridge5.present = "TRUE"
> > pciBridge5.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
> > pciBridge5.functions = "8"
> > pciBridge6.present = "TRUE"
> > pciBridge6.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
> > pciBridge6.functions = "8"
> > pciBridge7.present = "TRUE"
> > pciBridge7.virtualDev = "pcieRootPort"
> > pciBridge7.functions = "8"
> > vmci0.present = "TRUE"
> > hpet0.present = "TRUE"
> > memSize = "1024"

that would be 1024MB, so 1G

> [...]
> > uuid.location = "56 4d af 84 7d ea 6b 51-e6 40 16 dd 81 07 1c 64"
> > ide0:0.redo = "" pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
> > pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
> > pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
> > pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
> > pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
> > scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
> > ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
> > vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
> > vmci0.id = "1293564630"
> > hostCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
> > hostCPUID.1 = "000306e40020080077bee3ffbfebfbff"
> > hostCPUID.80000001 = "0000000000000000000000012c100800"
> > guestCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
> > guestCPUID.1 = "000306e400010800969822030fabfbff"
> > guestCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000128100800"
> > userCPUID.0 = "0000000d756e65476c65746e49656e69"
> > userCPUID.1 = "000306e400010800969822030fabfbff"
> > userCPUID.80000001 = "00000000000000000000000128100800"

Um, that would be 4MB of ram, yep, amazing
it got as far as it did....

--
Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Ion-Mihai Tetcu-3

[ combining 2 mails sent yesterday that didn't made it to the list ]

Lol, looking over the one that fails ... RAM is set at 4MB. Which I
think it might be the default on that cluster for some reason.
I'll test now with a sane amount of RAM. Apologies for the noise.

Yep, with 1GB it's OK.
Can't wait for the next week to kill the guy who configured that VM
before handling it over to me.
Sorry again for waisting your time.

> [...]

> scsi0:0.redo = ""
> pciBridge0.pciSlotNumber = "17"
> pciBridge4.pciSlotNumber = "21"
> pciBridge5.pciSlotNumber = "22"
> pciBridge6.pciSlotNumber = "23"
> pciBridge7.pciSlotNumber = "24"
> scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "16"
> ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "32"
> vmci0.pciSlotNumber = "33"
> vmci0.id = "-1872057286"
> monitor.phys_bits_used = "42"
> vmotion.checkpointFBSize = "4194304"
> vmotion.checkpointSVGAPrimarySize = "4194304"
> cleanShutdown = "TRUE"
> softPowerOff = "FALSE"
> tools.remindInstall = "FALSE"
> scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
> scsi0.sasWWID = "50 05 05 64 8a 71 92 90"
> sata0.pciSlotNumber = "34"
> sata0.present = "TRUE"
> config.readOnly = "FALSE"
> numa.autosize.vcpu.maxPerVirtualNode = "2"

---

Re: failing to install 11.1R on VMWare

Kevin Oberman-4
Mercy! He probably assumed memory in GB and thought 4GB was plenty. Dumb
but understandable mistake. I've made similar ones, but try not to make a
habit of it. (My wife probably disagrees.)

E-mail: [hidden email]