firefox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

firefox

Bruce-2
I used seamonkey for years without problems.  Now with seamonkey no
longer available I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly and isn't
nearly as good as seamonkey.  When are you bringing seamonkey back?

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

firefox

Robert Huff

bruce writes:

>  I used seamonkey for years without problems.  Now with seamonkey no
>  longer available I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly and
>  isn't nearly as good as seamonkey.  When are you bringing seamonkey
>  back?

        Short answer: probably never.
        Longer answer:
        1) it is (I believe) no longer developed/maintained upstream.
        2) the port does not have a local maintainer.
        3) it has a long list of security issues, which persisted for
                months if not years.

        I, too, will miss it.  But in the larger scheme of things this
probably the path of wisdom.
        (Now ... if you are volunteering to revive it, assume
maintainership, and contribute patches - thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!)


                        Respectfully,


                                Robert Huff

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

@lbutlr
In reply to this post by Bruce-2
On 11 Aug 2019, at 20:29, bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly

That doesn’t sound right. If Firefox is crashing a lot there is something not quite right with your system or install.

Seamonkey was last update a bit over a year ago.

That’s about a decade in Browser time.



--
'That's blasphemy,' said the vampire. He gasped as Vimes shot him a
glance like sunlight. 'That's what people say when the voiceless speak.’

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Jack L.-3
In reply to this post by Robert Huff
I have the same experience with firefox and I too have used seamonkey
for years and have never found a suitable replacement. Right now, I'm
using Falkon which seems to be ok minus a few quirks here and there
but still more tolerable than firefox.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 9:20 PM Robert Huff <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> bruce writes:
>
> >  I used seamonkey for years without problems.  Now with seamonkey no
> >  longer available I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly and
> >  isn't nearly as good as seamonkey.  When are you bringing seamonkey
> >  back?
>
>         Short answer: probably never.
>         Longer answer:
>         1) it is (I believe) no longer developed/maintained upstream.
>         2) the port does not have a local maintainer.
>         3) it has a long list of security issues, which persisted for
>                 months if not years.
>
>         I, too, will miss it.  But in the larger scheme of things this
> probably the path of wisdom.
>         (Now ... if you are volunteering to revive it, assume
> maintainership, and contribute patches - thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!)
>
>
>                         Respectfully,
>
>
>                                 Robert Huff
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Walter Schwarzenfeld
In reply to this post by Robert Huff
I had no crashes, but slowdown.

Put in about:config:

browser.tabs.remote.force-enable=true
net.local.stream.recvspace=16384

maybe, this helps.

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Thomas Mueller-4
In reply to this post by Robert Huff
bruce writes:

>  I used seamonkey for years without problems.  Now with seamonkey no
>  longer available I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly and
>  isn't nearly as good as seamonkey.  When are you bringing seamonkey
>  back?

Robert Huff responded:

        Short answer: probably never.
        Longer answer:
        1) it is (I believe) no longer developed/maintained upstream.
        2) the port does not have a local maintainer.
        3) it has a long list of security issues, which persisted for
                months if not years.
       
        I, too, will miss it.  But in the larger scheme of things this probably the path of wisdom.

        (Now ... if you are volunteering to revive it, assume maintainership, and contribute patches - thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!)
       
I went to www.seamonkey-project.org last night.  Seamonkey looked alive, but last update was over a year ago (July 27, 2019 as I best remember): 2.49.4 .

I looked in FreeBSD ports tree, which I track using svn: www/seamonkey was not there.

But www/seamonkey is still in (NetBSD) pkgsrc.

From the Makefile, it looks like there is no maintainer:

DISTNAME=       seamonkey-${SM_VER}.source
PKGNAME=        seamonkey-${SM_VER:S/b/beta/}
PKGREVISION=    13
SM_VER=         2.49.4
CATEGORIES=     www
MASTER_SITES=   ${MASTER_SITE_MOZILLA:=seamonkey/releases/${SM_VER}/source/}
EXTRACT_SUFX=   .tar.xz

MAINTAINER=     [hidden email]
HOMEPAGE=       http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
COMMENT=        Full-featured gecko-based browser

One suggestion from me is www/otter-browser, available in FreeBSD ports, NetBSD pkgsrc, Linux (various), and haikuports (for Haiku).

Tom


_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Miroslav Lachman
In reply to this post by @lbutlr
@lbutlr wrote on 2019/08/12 07:08:
> On 11 Aug 2019, at 20:29, bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly
>
> That doesn’t sound right. If Firefox is crashing a lot there is something not quite right with your system or install.

I am using Seamonkey on everyday basis. Sometimes my computer is running
20+ days without reboot and Seamonkey running all the time with 5
windows and total count of 200+ openned tabs. No crashes at all.
Firefox crashes instantly after start (even if I delete its profile)
Palemoon, Qupzilla, Iridium crashes few times a day.
LibreOffice, Gimp and other apps are running fine. Only browsers are so
unstable these days. And as you can read I am not alone with this kind
of experience so I don't think it's just my computer problem.

Miroslav Lachman
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Jack L.-3
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Miroslav Lachman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> @lbutlr wrote on 2019/08/12 07:08:
> > On 11 Aug 2019, at 20:29, bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly
> >
> > That doesn’t sound right. If Firefox is crashing a lot there is something not quite right with your system or install.
>
> I am using Seamonkey on everyday basis. Sometimes my computer is running
> 20+ days without reboot and Seamonkey running all the time with 5
> windows and total count of 200+ openned tabs. No crashes at all.
> Firefox crashes instantly after start (even if I delete its profile)
> Palemoon, Qupzilla, Iridium crashes few times a day.
> LibreOffice, Gimp and other apps are running fine. Only browsers are so
> unstable these days. And as you can read I am not alone with this kind
> of experience so I don't think it's just my computer problem.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

yup, they don't make browsers like they used to
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Kevin Oberman-4
On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:29 AM Jack L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Miroslav Lachman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > @lbutlr wrote on 2019/08/12 07:08:
> > > On 11 Aug 2019, at 20:29, bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >> I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly
> > >
> > > That doesn’t sound right. If Firefox is crashing a lot there is
> something not quite right with your system or install.
> >
> > I am using Seamonkey on everyday basis. Sometimes my computer is running
> > 20+ days without reboot and Seamonkey running all the time with 5
> > windows and total count of 200+ openned tabs. No crashes at all.
> > Firefox crashes instantly after start (even if I delete its profile)
> > Palemoon, Qupzilla, Iridium crashes few times a day.
> > LibreOffice, Gimp and other apps are running fine. Only browsers are so
> > unstable these days. And as you can read I am not alone with this kind
> > of experience so I don't think it's just my computer problem.
> >
> > Miroslav Lachman
>
> yup, they don't make browsers like they used to


I'll probably regret opening this potential can of worms, but I find these
reports of instability in Firefox surprising. I have used Firfox as my web
browser on FreeBSD for many year, going back to at least Firefox v3 and
probably v2. I can't say I've never had it crash, but in the past year I
can't recall a single crash on FreeBSD. It has been rock solid. So why is
it failing or some people? (I'll note in passing that Firefox has been
somewhat less stable on Windows 7 where it seems to crash every couple of
weeks.

Possibilities include hardware, especially graphics, web sites visited, and
Firefox configuration. Lots of tabs may be an issue as I try to keep my
open tabs under 20.
 I can't imagine trying to deal with 200+, but it must eat a lot of
resources. That may be tied to the failures reported.
--
Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
E-mail: [hidden email]
PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Kurt Jaeger-6
Hi!

> I'll probably regret opening this potential can of worms, but I find these
> reports of instability in Firefox surprising.

Well, I have quite a few issues with firefox already.
- The annoying 'pocket' icon which needs to be removed in every new profile
  and other similar 'options'
- strange behaviour in input fields etc.
- annoying question if one wants to refresh firefox
- and crashes

So I'm using palemoon as fallback browser, which has other issues.
Not the least the removal due to security issues from the ports tree.
I still build it, and it still builds 8-}

> Possibilities include hardware, especially graphics, web sites visited, and
> Firefox configuration. Lots of tabs may be an issue as I try to keep my
> open tabs under 20.

>  I can't imagine trying to deal with 200+, but it must eat a lot of
> resources. That may be tied to the failures reported.

My desktops have plenty of resources (32 or 64 GB RAM, lots of CPU),
still: Issues pop up eventually. I also have approx. 6-10 different
browsers running at the same time (for different profiles and contexts),
sometimes with around 100+ tabs each.

I have used it on different systems, with different FreeBSD versions
(11.2, 12.0), still: The browser situation is messy and gets messier
by the day.

--
[hidden email]            +49 171 3101372                    One year to go !
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Adam Vande More
In reply to this post by Kevin Oberman-4
On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Possibilities include hardware, especially graphics, web sites visited, and
> Firefox configuration. Lots of tabs may be an issue as I try to keep my
> open tabs under 20.
>  I can't imagine trying to deal with 200+, but it must eat a lot of
> resources. That may be tied to the failures reported.
>

Seems reasonable.  I usually don't have over a dozen tabs and it has been a
very long time since FF has crashed.  I use those tabs heavily along with a
number of popular and not so popular extensions at different complex and
varied sites.  Actually it's mostly the same config across 3 FreeBSD
systems all with the same FF stability.  For the person saying FF crashes
immediately after startup, well yes actually that sounds very much like a
local issue on the surface at least.  I would at least look at it under
truss to see if there is something obvious.

--
Adam
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

moridin
Adam wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 12:51 PM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Possibilities include hardware, especially graphics, web sites visited, and
>> Firefox configuration. Lots of tabs may be an issue as I try to keep my
>> open tabs under 20.
>>   I can't imagine trying to deal with 200+, but it must eat a lot of
>> resources. That may be tied to the failures reported.
>>
>
> Seems reasonable.  I usually don't have over a dozen tabs and it has been a
> very long time since FF has crashed.  I use those tabs heavily along with a
> number of popular and not so popular extensions at different complex and
> varied sites.  Actually it's mostly the same config across 3 FreeBSD
> systems all with the same FF stability.  For the person saying FF crashes
> immediately after startup, well yes actually that sounds very much like a
> local issue on the surface at least.  I would at least look at it under
> truss to see if there is something obvious.

FF crashing immediately on start sounds like dbus being disabled (or
rather, not being enabled).
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Jack L.-3
In reply to this post by Kevin Oberman-4
On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:51 AM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:29 AM Jack L. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Miroslav Lachman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > @lbutlr wrote on 2019/08/12 07:08:
>> > > On 11 Aug 2019, at 20:29, bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > >> I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly
>> > >
>> > > That doesn’t sound right. If Firefox is crashing a lot there is something not quite right with your system or install.
>> >
>> > I am using Seamonkey on everyday basis. Sometimes my computer is running
>> > 20+ days without reboot and Seamonkey running all the time with 5
>> > windows and total count of 200+ openned tabs. No crashes at all.
>> > Firefox crashes instantly after start (even if I delete its profile)
>> > Palemoon, Qupzilla, Iridium crashes few times a day.
>> > LibreOffice, Gimp and other apps are running fine. Only browsers are so
>> > unstable these days. And as you can read I am not alone with this kind
>> > of experience so I don't think it's just my computer problem.
>> >
>> > Miroslav Lachman
>>
>> yup, they don't make browsers like they used to
>
>
> I'll probably regret opening this potential can of worms, but I find these reports of instability in Firefox surprising. I have used Firfox as my web browser on FreeBSD for many year, going back to at least Firefox v3 and probably v2. I can't say I've never had it crash, but in the past year I can't recall a single crash on FreeBSD. It has been rock solid. So why is it failing or some people? (I'll note in passing that Firefox has been somewhat less stable on Windows 7 where it seems to crash every couple of weeks.
>
> Possibilities include hardware, especially graphics, web sites visited, and Firefox configuration. Lots of tabs may be an issue as I try to keep my open tabs under 20.
>  I can't imagine trying to deal with 200+, but it must eat a lot of resources. That may be tied to the failures reported.

My experience with firefox is it gets slower and slower and slower
until it's practically unusable until it's restarted (even having only
the gmail tab open for days)
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox crash on start

Miroslav Lachman
In reply to this post by moridin
moridin wrote on 2019/08/16 05:30:

> FF crashing immediately on start sounds like dbus being disabled (or
> rather, not being enabled).


Yes, it says "Bus error", but dbus is running and all other browsers
start without any problem.

 > ps axuww | grep dbus
messagebus   895   0.0  0.0   25628    2440  -  Is   Wed07PM    0:01.98
/usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --system
root        1496   0.0  0.0   37164    2116  -  I    Wed07PM    0:00.00
dbus-launch --autolaunch ae4280dca0bb31b02b4dbd2057d0dd6d
--binary-syntax --close-stderr
root        1497   0.0  0.0   25628    1696  -  Is   Wed07PM    0:00.00
/usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
quip        1544   0.0  0.0   37164    2168  -  I    Wed07PM    0:00.00
dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/local/bin/startkde
quip        1545   0.0  0.0   25628    2904  -  Ss   Wed07PM    0:17.99
/usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon --fork --print-pid 5 --print-address 7 --session
quip        1986   0.0  0.0   25628    1960  -  S    Wed07PM    0:00.74
/usr/local/bin/dbus-daemon
--config-file=/usr/local/share/defaults/at-spi2/accessibility.conf
--nofork --print-address 3

Miroslav Lachman
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Palemoon browser

Lena
In reply to this post by Kurt Jaeger-6
> I'm using palemoon as fallback browser, which has other issues.
> Not the least the removal due to security issues from the ports tree.
> I still build it, and it still builds 8-}

Do you build Palemoon 27.9.4 or 28.6.1?
Slack and Google's reCAPTCHA don't work in Palemoon 27. :(

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Palemoon browser

Kurt Jaeger-6
Hi!

> > I'm using palemoon as fallback browser, which has other issues.
> > Not the least the removal due to security issues from the ports tree.
> > I still build it, and it still builds 8-}
>
> Do you build Palemoon 27.9.4 or 28.6.1?

The last version that was in the ports, so 27.9.4.

> Slack and Google's reCAPTCHA don't work in Palemoon 27. :(

Yes, I'm aware.

danfe@ once planned to update the port to 28.6.1, but I guess it's
really non-trivial and he has plenty of other things on his table.

--
[hidden email]         +49 171 3101372                  One year to go !
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

freebsd-ports mailing list
In reply to this post by Kevin Oberman-4
On 8/15/19 7:50 PM, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> I'll probably regret opening this potential can of worms, but I find these
> reports of instability in Firefox surprising. I have used Firfox as my web
> browser on FreeBSD for many year, going back to at least Firefox v3 and
> probably v2. I can't say I've never had it crash, but in the past year I
> can't recall a single crash on FreeBSD.

Well, in my case it sometimes crashes. There is also a specific
notorious site which can hang it systematically.

Due to my limited available time, and the fact that I'm running with a
patch (see https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=222356), I
never bothered to debug it (or just make something out of its cores).

AFAICT that patch will be soon obsolete; after I'm back to a somewhat
official version, I'll surely dig into this, if the issue persist.

  bye
        av.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: firefox

Kevin Oberman-4
In reply to this post by Jack L.-3
On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 11:20 PM Jack L. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:51 AM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:29 AM Jack L. <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:32 PM Miroslav Lachman <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >> >
> >> > @lbutlr wrote on 2019/08/12 07:08:
> >> > > On 11 Aug 2019, at 20:29, bruce <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> > >> I have tried firefox.  It crashes regularly
> >> > >
> >> > > That doesn’t sound right. If Firefox is crashing a lot there is
> something not quite right with your system or install.
> >> >
> >> > I am using Seamonkey on everyday basis. Sometimes my computer is
> running
> >> > 20+ days without reboot and Seamonkey running all the time with 5
> >> > windows and total count of 200+ openned tabs. No crashes at all.
> >> > Firefox crashes instantly after start (even if I delete its profile)
> >> > Palemoon, Qupzilla, Iridium crashes few times a day.
> >> > LibreOffice, Gimp and other apps are running fine. Only browsers are
> so
> >> > unstable these days. And as you can read I am not alone with this kind
> >> > of experience so I don't think it's just my computer problem.
> >> >
> >> > Miroslav Lachman
> >>
> >> yup, they don't make browsers like they used to
> >
> >
> > I'll probably regret opening this potential can of worms, but I find
> these reports of instability in Firefox surprising. I have used Firfox as
> my web browser on FreeBSD for many year, going back to at least Firefox v3
> and probably v2. I can't say I've never had it crash, but in the past year
> I can't recall a single crash on FreeBSD. It has been rock solid. So why is
> it failing or some people? (I'll note in passing that Firefox has been
> somewhat less stable on Windows 7 where it seems to crash every couple of
> weeks.
> >
> > Possibilities include hardware, especially graphics, web sites visited,
> and Firefox configuration. Lots of tabs may be an issue as I try to keep my
> open tabs under 20.
> >  I can't imagine trying to deal with 200+, but it must eat a lot of
> resources. That may be tied to the failures reported.
>
> My experience with firefox is it gets slower and slower and slower
> until it's practically unusable until it's restarted (even having only
> the gmail tab open for days)
>

Try looking at the memory pressure on your system. Firefox, especially when
running heavy-duty pages like gmail. I noticed that rss (res on top) would
grow until swapping started. It would continue until my swap partition was
full followed by the expected... the system grinding to a halt. I could
usually catch it before swap was full and restarting firefox would fix it
for a while. If you want to monitor memory use, I suggest
sysutils/gkrellm2. To looks at firefox use, "ps -uc | grep firefox"
provides the rss for all firefox processes. rss is hte 6th column. You
could write a quick script to sum the numbers, but I have just added them
up manually.

I increased RAM from 4G to 8, the max for the hardware, and that improved
things a lot. (If you add memory, don't forget to enlarge swap.) Firefox
still is huge, but the system now handles it much better. I checked the
INITIAL memory use by Firefox recently and it was nearly 3.7G. And it grows
from there.

I saw similar issues with chrome, but I no longer use it.
--
Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
E-mail: [hidden email]
PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"