fixing missing launch icons

Beeblebrox
Some ports fail to create the launch icon (menu item) in the desktop menu. To correct this, one is to add in /usr/local/share/application a file by <portname>.desktop like so:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=<portname>
GenericName=<Detailed Name>
Comment=<whatever>
TryExec=<portname>
Exec=<portname>
Icon=<picture>
Type=Application
Categories=<c1>;<c2>;<c3>;

My question is: The menu entries have categories - for example in gnome there are Graphics, Office, Internet, etc. How can one specify the category placement (under which category) this icon should go?

Thanks and Regards
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Olivier Duchateau
2012/11/9 Beeblebrox <[hidden email]>:

> Some ports fail to create the launch icon (menu item) in the desktop menu. To
> correct this, one is to add in /usr/local/share/application a file by
> <portname>.desktop like so:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=<portname>
> GenericName=<Detailed Name>
> Comment=<whatever>
> TryExec=<portname>
> Exec=<portname>
> Icon=<picture>
> Type=Application
> Categories=<c1>;<c2>;<c3>;
>
> My question is: The menu entries have categories - for example in gnome
> there are Graphics, Office, Internet, etc. How can one specify the category
> placement (under which category) this icon should go?

There's specification [1] for create (and understand) desktop menu.

About icons, usually, we can find in /usr/local/share/icons and
/usr/local/share/pixmaps directories.

Note: some ports don't provide .desktop file, it's not necessarily "bug".

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/

> Thanks and Regards

olivier

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Lars Engels-2
On Fri, Nov 09, 2012 at 01:49:22PM +0000, Olivier Duchateau wrote:

> 2012/11/9 Beeblebrox <[hidden email]>:
> > Some ports fail to create the launch icon (menu item) in the desktop menu. To
> > correct this, one is to add in /usr/local/share/application a file by
> > <portname>.desktop like so:
> >
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Encoding=UTF-8
> > Name=<portname>
> > GenericName=<Detailed Name>
> > Comment=<whatever>
> > TryExec=<portname>
> > Exec=<portname>
> > Icon=<picture>
> > Type=Application
> > Categories=<c1>;<c2>;<c3>;
> >
> > My question is: The menu entries have categories - for example in gnome
> > there are Graphics, Office, Internet, etc. How can one specify the category
> > placement (under which category) this icon should go?
> >

> There's specification [1] for create (and understand) desktop menu.
>
> About icons, usually, we can find in /usr/local/share/icons and
> /usr/local/share/pixmaps directories.
>
> Note: some ports don't provide .desktop file, it's not necessarily "bug".
But for desktop applications port maintainers should create one:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html#desktop-entries

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Beeblebrox
Lars Engels-2 wrote
But for desktop applications port maintainers should create one:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/book.html#desktop-entries
Corrrect, and hence my question.
It looks like the variable I was looking for is <Directory> for sub-menu placement. Thanks for the link Olvier.
[SOLVED]
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Beeblebrox
Unfortunately, it was too soon to tag the problem solved. I tried an entry like so:
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Emma-SQL
GenericName=Emma-SQL
Comment=Emma-SQL Manager
TryExec=emma
Exec=emma
Icon=emma
Type=Application
Categories=Programming
Directory=Programming

1. This did not show up anywhere in any sub-menus.
2. When I change the desktop session I use from say Gnome to Fluxbox, the "Applications" menu changes completely and not only has a very different sub-menu (Directory) structure than Gnome but also many of the menu items are missing, while some menu icons which were not in Gnome become visible.  Emma-SQL did not show up in the Fluxbox menu either, btw.
3. <Categories> has influence on this as well, because to fix a multiple-entry item I just removed the other categories and the icons reverted to a single sub-menu.

Thanks and Regards.
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Da Rock-4
On 11/11/12 04:08, Beeblebrox wrote:

> Unfortunately, it was too soon to tag the problem solved. I tried an entry
> like so:
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Name=Emma-SQL
> GenericName=Emma-SQL
> Comment=Emma-SQL Manager
> TryExec=emma
> Exec=emma
> Icon=emma
> Type=Application
> Categories=Programming
> Directory=Programming
>
> 1. This did not show up anywhere in any sub-menus.
> 2. When I change the desktop session I use from say Gnome to Fluxbox, the
> "Applications" menu changes completely and not only has a very different
> sub-menu (Directory) structure than Gnome but also many of the menu items
> are missing, while some menu icons which were not in Gnome become visible.
> Emma-SQL did not show up in the Fluxbox menu either, btw.
> 3. <Categories> has influence on this as well, because to fix a
> multiple-entry item I just removed the other categories and the icons
> reverted to a single sub-menu.
>
> Thanks and Regards.
Don't know precisely why this entry didn't show up (if it is exactly as
it is here), but there is an item that tells it which DE to allow use
under such as Gnome, KDE, etc. I don't have the exact details in front
of me now, but looking at the specs under freedesktop.org should shed
light on it.

HTH

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Beeblebrox
This whole thing makes just absolutely no sense!
None of my hand-added items appear in the launch menu (and I have tried several). Of the menu items that already exist, I am able to remove multiple entries and bring them down to single entry, but I am not able to change the category to something else.

Is there some higher-level config file for each Desktop where other adjustments must be made??

Strange!
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Boris Samorodov-2
11.11.2012 12:58, Beeblebrox пишет:

> This whole thing makes just absolutely no sense!
> None of my hand-added items appear in the launch menu (and I have tried
> several). Of the menu items that already exist, I am able to remove multiple
> entries and bring them down to single entry, but I am not able to change the
> category to something else.
>
> Is there some higher-level config file for each Desktop where other
> adjustments must be made??
>
> Strange!

Hm, seems that you miss desktop database update. You may use
textproc/goldendict as a reference. Shot version:
1. Makefile should have "USE_GNOME=desktopfileutils".
2a. At post-install: stage do run -update-desktop-database (this
is for ports).
2b. Insert to pkg-plist (this is for packages):
-----
@exec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-desktop-database
@unexec %%LOCALBASE%%/bin/update-desktop-database
-----

That will make update-desktop-database run after port/package
install/deinstall and keep the desktop database in concurrent
state.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Beeblebrox
Thanks for that suggestion. I will try it. When I checked the depends of that port I realized that I have another problem and maybe the reason for this problem is related to it. I have posted the problem here:
http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/xmlcatmgr-gives-error-for-iso8879-docbook-sk-xmlcharent-td5759961.html

Also, to be sure: I must run "$ update-desktop-database after each port install if the port is a desktop app right?

Thanks again.

11.11.2012 14:35, Beeblebrox пишет:

> Also, to be sure: I must run "*$ update-desktop-database* after each port
> install if the port is a desktop app right?

AFAIK, yes.
BTW, and after such port is deinstalled.

--
WBR, Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD Committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve

Re: fixing missing launch icons

Beeblebrox
I corrected the other error and installed textproc/goldendict. when I run $ update-desktop-database, I get error:
"Could not parse file "/usr/local/share/applications/emma.desktop": Key file does not start with a group"
I cannot find any reference to the error or to "group" in the *.desktop standard.
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS