freebsd-12 and bhyve and the azure platform

freebsd-12 and bhyve and the azure platform

tech-lists
Hello,

Is it possible to migrate a byve freebsd instance/image to Azure? Or
does one have to have the instance initially provisioned via
their marketplace?

thanks,
--
J.

Re: freebsd-12 and bhyve and the azure platform

Paul Vixie-2

tech-lists wrote on 2019-01-26 16:17:
> Is it possible to migrate a byve freebsd instance/image to Azure? Or
> does one have to have the instance initially provisioned via their
> marketplace?

bhyve does not participate in the virtualbox/vmware/etc ecosystem where
"appliances" in the form of "open virtualization format" files can be
exported and imported. this in turn means that you would have to
manually control the parameters of an azure instance to be sure that it
can contain your existing system image.

i would expect you to use dump | restore, or zfs dump | zfs restore, to
move a system image from one container strategy (or bare metal) to
another (such as azure), after first booting a rescue image inside the
destination container. you'd then fine-tune your /etc/rc.conf file to
have whatever settings were appropriate for the new container.

i know that's somewhat old school, but, that's one reason to love bhyve.

--
P Vixie

On Sat, Jan 26, 2019 at 04:39:39PM +0100, Paul Vixie wrote:

>i would expect you to use dump | restore, or zfs dump | zfs restore, to
>move a system image from one container strategy (or bare metal) to
>another (such as azure), after first booting a rescue image inside the
>destination container. you'd then fine-tune your /etc/rc.conf file to
>have whatever settings were appropriate for the new container.
>
>i know that's somewhat old school, but, that's one reason to love bhyve.

OK, thanks. I thought this might be the case. Just wanted to make sure I
wasn't trying to reinvent the wheel ;)
--
J.