gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

1234

gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Matthew Macy-2
As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep with Linux.

In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of today.

Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.

-M

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Ben Woods
On Tuesday, 16 August 2016, Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the
> subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I
> feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that in
> the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep with Linux.
>
> In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of
> today.
>
> Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and
> amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that we'll
> need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
>
> -M

May I just say, congratulations on the great milestone, and thank you very
much for your efforts!

I owe you beer.

Thanks,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Kubilay Kocak
On 16/08/2016 5:12 PM, Matthew Macy wrote:
> As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep with Linux.
>
> In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of today.
>
> Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
>
> -M

All of this is and means a huge deal for our users and us as a project,
thank you to everyone on Team Graphics™ and every one else who has been
involved for their ongoing effort.

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Mathias Picker-3
Wow. This is incredibly welcome news. And very impressive!

And there's not the slightest bit of 'bit' in this milestone :)

Thanks a *lot* for your hard work!

Mathias

Am 16. August 2016 09:12:44 GMT+02:00, schrieb Matthew Macy <[hidden email]>:

>As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with
>https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the
>subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I
>feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that
>in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep
>with Linux.
>
>In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of
>today.
>
>Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and
>amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that
>we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
>
>-M

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Andrei-4
Are you talking about FreeBSD HEAD? Still nothing there.

On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 00:12:44 -0700
Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for
> the subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and
> amdgpu). I feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is
> possible that in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed
> in lockstep with Linux.
>
> In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of
> today.
>
> Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and
> amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that
> we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
>
> -M

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

pete wright

On 8/16/16 4:28 PM, Andrei wrote:
> Are you talking about FreeBSD HEAD? Still nothing there.

work is being done in this github repo currently:
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics

the branch is "drm-next".

cheers,
-p

--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]

 ---- On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 16:28:31 -0700 Andrei <[hidden email]> wrote ----
 > Are you talking about FreeBSD HEAD? Still nothing there.

My post made made no mention of FreeBSD HEAD.

Eventually the necessary patches to sys/ will be merged and the work in drm-next will be available as a port.

 > On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 00:12:44 -0700
 > Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >
 > > As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with
 > > https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for
 > > the subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and
 > > amdgpu). I feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is
 > > possible that in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed
 > > in lockstep with Linux.
 > >
 > > In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of
 > > today.
 > >
 > > Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and
 > > amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that
 > > we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
 > >
 > > -M

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Tomoya Tabuchi
Hello

I'd like to know what 'IFCed to HEAD' means. I'm quite new to FreeBSD.

Thank you for your work. Looking forward to running FreeBSD on my laptop
with graphics.

Thanks in advance.

Tomoya

 ---- On Tue, 16 Aug 2016 23:13:54 -0700 Tomoya Tabuchi <[hidden email]> wrote ----
 > Hello
 >
 > I'd like to know what 'IFCed to HEAD' means. I'm quite new to FreeBSD.

IFC stands for "integrated from CURRENT". Which just means I've merged all the recent changes to -CURRENT to my branches so that the only changes in them with respect to HEAD are my own work. This is mostly important to other people trying to track the FreeBSD development branch.

-M

 > Thank you for your work. Looking forward to running FreeBSD on my laptop
 > with graphics.
 >
 > Thanks in advance.
 >
 > Tomoya
 >
 > On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:12:44AM -0700, Matthew Macy wrote:
 > > As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep with Linux.
 > >
 > > In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of today.
 > >
 > > Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
 > >
 > > -M

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Bob Willcox
On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:12:44AM -0700, Matthew Macy wrote:

> As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that in the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep with Linux.
>
> In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of today.
>
> Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that we'll need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
>
> -M

I just picked up a Skylake i5 NUC (NUC6i5SYH) and was looking for help on what
I need to do to tryout the driver support for Skylake on it.

Currently I have FreeBSD-current (as of a couple of days ago) running on it.
I've read through most of the emails here discussing drm-next support but I'm
not at all clear on where to start? What do I need to do/get?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | In real love you want the other person's good.  In
[hidden email] | romantic love you want the other person.

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Doug Kirk
Hi Bob,

To start, you'll want to build and install the kernel from the "drm-next"
branch at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics .
Instructions in the FreeBSD handbook for building/installing.

Then, the instructions at (
https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki#installing-required-userland-components)
will tell you how to get the updated X server installed.

One thing to note that's not really stated anywhere is that you need to
load the i915kms driver in rc.conf, not from the boot loader, as it's not
ready for boot-time loading yet (last I worked with it, last month).
Boot-time loading results in a panic.

The only other problem I faced was a missing/changed function in a shared
library that `pkg` relies on. Using `pkg-static` to install packages worked
around that.

Cheers!
-doug

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Bob Willcox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:12:44AM -0700, Matthew Macy wrote:
> > As of this moment sys/dev/drm in the drm-next tree is sync with
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux drivers/gpu/drm (albeit only for the
> subset of drivers that FreeBSD supports -  i915, radeon, and amdgpu). I
> feel this is a bit of a milestone as it means that it is possible that in
> the future graphics support on FreeBSD could proceed in lockstep with Linux.
> >
> > In addition I have IFCed both drm-next-4.6 and drm-next to HEAD as of
> today.
> >
> > Once I'm done working on Kaby Lake support I intend to get radeon and
> amdgpu to the point where they work as well as i915. Following that we'll
> need to spend some time resolving general correctness issues.
> >
> > -M

> I just picked up a Skylake i5 NUC (NUC6i5SYH) and was looking for help on
> what
> I need to do to tryout the driver support for Skylake on it.
>
> Currently I have FreeBSD-current (as of a couple of days ago) running on
> it.
> I've read through most of the emails here discussing drm-next support but
> I'm
> not at all clear on where to start? What do I need to do/get?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>

> --
> Bob Willcox    | In real love you want the other person's good.  In
> [hidden email] | romantic love you want the other person.
> Austin, TX     |     -- Margaret Anderson

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Bob Willcox
Thanks Doug! This should be a big help as I was clueless as to where to begin.
The URL for instructions appears to cover what I need.

Bob

On 9/20/16 12:07 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> To start, you'll want to build and install the kernel from the "drm-next"
> branch at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics .
> Instructions in the FreeBSD handbook for building/installing.
>
> Then, the instructions at (
> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki#installing-required-userland-components)
> will tell you how to get the updated X server installed.
>
> One thing to note that's not really stated anywhere is that you need to
> load the i915kms driver in rc.conf, not from the boot loader, as it's not
> ready for boot-time loading yet (last I worked with it, last month).
> Boot-time loading results in a panic.

oh interesting i'll take a look at that tonight.  on my end i've been
letting Xorg load the i915kms module: i.e. not loading it via rc.conf.

cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]

 ---- On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:19:43 -0700 Pete Wright <[hidden email]> wrote ----

 > On 9/20/16 12:07 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:
 > > Hi Bob,
 > >
 > > To start, you'll want to build and install the kernel from the "drm-next"
 > > branch at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics .
 > > Instructions in the FreeBSD handbook for building/installing.

No. drm-next tracks upstream, but is not guaranteed to work at any particular point in time. Intel users should be using drm-next-4.7.

Pete - could you please update the wiki to that effect?

 > > Then, the instructions at (
 > > https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics/wiki#installing-required-userland-components)
 > > will tell you how to get the updated X server installed.
 > >
 > > One thing to note that's not really stated anywhere is that you need to
 > > load the i915kms driver in rc.conf, not from the boot loader, as it's not
 > > ready for boot-time loading yet (last I worked with it, last month).
 > > Boot-time loading results in a panic.

With a functional efifb I have yet to see a legitimate technical reason for loading at boot. File system operations are much slower for the loader than they are once the system has run init.

On 9/20/16 2:10 PM, Matthew Macy wrote:

>  ---- On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:19:43 -0700 Pete Wright <[hidden email]> wrote ----
>  >
>  >
>  > On 9/20/16 12:07 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:
>  > > Hi Bob,
>  > >
>  > > To start, you'll want to build and install the kernel from the "drm-next"
>  > > branch at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics .
>  > > Instructions in the FreeBSD handbook for building/installing.
>
> No. drm-next tracks upstream, but is not guaranteed to work at any particular point in time. Intel users should be using drm-next-4.7.
>
> Pete - could you please update the wiki to that effect?

done!  thanks for the clarification too - i think i was a bit confused
on this detail as well :)

Cheers,
-pete

--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 02:10:23PM -0700, Matthew Macy wrote:

>  ---- On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:19:43 -0700 Pete Wright <[hidden email]> wrote ----
>  >
>  >
>  > On 9/20/16 12:07 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:
>  > > Hi Bob,
>  > >
>  > > To start, you'll want to build and install the kernel from the "drm-next"
>  > > branch at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics .
>  > > Instructions in the FreeBSD handbook for building/installing.
>
> No. drm-next tracks upstream, but is not guaranteed to work at any particular point in time. Intel users should be using drm-next-4.7.

Hmm, I fear that leaves me with the same noob questions then. Where do I
start? What do I download? What do I build?

I would really like to try this on my NUC but I'm having trouble getting
started.

Bob

On 9/20/16 2:25 PM, Bob Willcox wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 02:10:23PM -0700, Matthew Macy wrote:
>>

>>  ---- On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 12:19:43 -0700 Pete Wright <[hidden email]> wrote ----
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > On 9/20/16 12:07 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:
>>  > > Hi Bob,
>>  > >
>>  > > To start, you'll want to build and install the kernel from the "drm-next"
>>  > > branch at https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics .
>>  > > Instructions in the FreeBSD handbook for building/installing.
>>
>> No. drm-next tracks upstream, but is not guaranteed to work at any particular point in time. Intel users should be using drm-next-4.7.
>
> Hmm, I fear that leaves me with the same noob questions then. Where do I
> start? What do I download? What do I build?
>
> I would really like to try this on my NUC but I'm having trouble getting
> started.

hey there Bob - sounds like the wiki may need a bit refactoring to make
it more intuitive.  I'll try to take a stab at that tonight.

the tl;dr version is:

- checkout this branch:
git clone https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/freebsd-base-graphics.git -b
drm-next-4.7

- compile the world+kernel of this checkout.  the normal process of
building the freebsd world from source works in this checkout.

- once you are running the appropriate world+kernel configure this new
pkg repository (I put this in a file named
/usr/local/pkg/repo/FreeBSD-ports.repo for example):

FreeBSD-ports: {
   url:
"http://www.bsddesktop.com/images/120amd64-ports-graphics-xserver-mesa-next/"
   enabled: yes
}

- install appropriate Xorg Intel Xorg driver and XFCE4 desktop
environment packages like so:

$ pkg install -r FreeBSD-ports xorg xf86-video-intel xfce

The instructions for building and installing a fresh world from source
are better documented in the handbook here:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html

Cheers,
-p

--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]

Re: gfx-next update: drm-4.8-rc2 tagged in drm-next

Doug Kirk
Pete, if you would also put a note in about loading the i915kms driver in
rc.conf, that'd tie a nice bow around it.

Cheers!

On 9/20/16 2:37 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:
> Pete, if you would also put a note in about loading the i915kms driver
> in rc.conf, that'd tie a nice bow around it.

sure thing - i'll also drop a note in there that Xorg will load this
module on demand w/o issues if you specify the Intel driver in your xorg
config.

cheers,
-p

--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]

 ---- On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 14:38:51 -0700 Pete Wright <[hidden email]> wrote ----

 > On 9/20/16 2:37 PM, Doug Kirk wrote:
 > > Pete, if you would also put a note in about loading the i915kms driver
 > > in rc.conf, that'd tie a nice bow around it.
 >
 > sure thing - i'll also drop a note in there that Xorg will load this
 > module on demand w/o issues if you specify the Intel driver in your xorg
 > config.

It will load it automatically without a config at all. For simpler setups no config will automatically DTRT (barring SNA/UXA issues).

-M

1234