gnome-upgrade.sh

12

gnome-upgrade.sh

Paul T. Root
This script is one of the most frustrating things ever
written.

I made a fresh install (from CD) of 6.0R. In the install
I added gnome2, sudo, and bash. That's it. Gnome came up fine.
bash is great, sudo works.

Now, since gnome 2.12 is out, I want to upgrade to that.
Seems resonable.

http://www.freebsd.org/gnome tells us not to use portupgrade
to upgrade gnome2. The upgrades get out of order.

Ok fine, use gnome-upgrade.sh. And keep trying it says.

I've run it better than a dozen times, now. It's still trying.
All day, I turn and look at it periodically, resolve whatever
problem it seems to be having and start it up again.

1 time it said that it was successful! Woo Hoo! Wait, 2 times,
it just finished...

However it lies. What it's done is removed gnome completely.

The problem seems to lie in that downloads fail and so I get
a bunch of files in /usr/ports/distfiles that are not valid.
Using good old ftp, I grab the file needed and either build the
port and install or restart gnome-upgrade.sh

I'm now assuming that since all gnome has been wiped off the
disk, that the thing to do is build/install the port directly.
Starting that up, I seem to be having the same downloading difficulties.

--
    ______ Paul T. Root
   /    _ \   1977 MGB

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Wednesday 09 November 2005 13:46, Paul T. Root wrote:

> This script is one of the most frustrating things ever
> written.
>
> I made a fresh install (from CD) of 6.0R. In the install
> I added gnome2, sudo, and bash. That's it. Gnome came up fine.
> bash is great, sudo works.
>
> Now, since gnome 2.12 is out, I want to upgrade to that.
> Seems resonable.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/gnome tells us not to use portupgrade
> to upgrade gnome2. The upgrades get out of order.
>
> Ok fine, use gnome-upgrade.sh. And keep trying it says.
>
> I've run it better than a dozen times, now. It's still trying.
> All day, I turn and look at it periodically, resolve whatever
> problem it seems to be having and start it up again.
>
> 1 time it said that it was successful! Woo Hoo! Wait, 2 times,
> it just finished...
>
> However it lies. What it's done is removed gnome completely.
>

> The problem seems to lie in that downloads fail and so I get
> a bunch of files in /usr/ports/distfiles that are not valid.
> Using good old ftp, I grab the file needed and either build the
> port and install or restart gnome-upgrade.sh
>
> I'm now assuming that since all gnome has been wiped off the
> disk, that the thing to do is build/install the port directly.
> Starting that up, I seem to be having the same downloading difficulties.

As an alternative to gnome-upgrade.sh you may want to consider
using sysutils/portmanager, all you need do is run

portmanager x11/gnome2

It'll do the upgrade no problem, tested it twice now myself.

-Mike

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Bugzilla from alistair@tyeurgain.free-online.co.uk
Michael C. Shultz wrote:

>On Wednesday 09 November 2005 13:46, Paul T. Root wrote:
>

>>This script is one of the most frustrating things ever
>>written.
>>
>>[Snip]
>>
>As an alternative to gnome-upgrade.sh you may want to consider
>using sysutils/portmanager, all you need do is run
>
>portmanager x11/gnome2
>
>It'll do the upgrade no problem, tested it twice now myself.
>
>-Mike

Paul

This script was the source of my many frustrations.  On a dual-boot
Gentoo Linux (production) and FreeBSD (new) server, the script ran
night-after-night on a 2GHz P4 with no sign of completion.

I admit that my experience of FreeBSD is limited, but my BSD experience
is sound and my Linux experience is extensive, but this one caught me out.

I think it really is a documentation problem.  As far as upgrading Gnome
is concerned, the message I got from the web site was that just running
the script was OK.  It should have said, run this script to update
Gnome, but lots of functionaliity of your FreeBSD machine will be
unusable while it runs and it might take many days to complete, even on
a fast machine.

Also, documentation of portmanager is almost entirely lacking.  It is
not (AFAICT) mentioned in the handbook at all.

I had such high hopes for FreeBSD 6 because earlier releases have been
so nearly ideal for one machine I have that shamelessly functions as
both a powerful 64-bit workstation and a file server.  However, my
experience installing it on a 32-bit dual-boot-disc Gentoo Linux box has
been unsatisfactory (at least partly, if not mainly, my fault) so I
think I may do the safe thing and stick to Linux.

Regards
Alistair

1973 MG Midget, with all the Frontline Spridget mods, except the K-Series!
That little monster can still better my 911 hands down in some tight
twisty bits!

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Wednesday 09 November 2005 14:41, Alistair wrote:

> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> >On Wednesday 09 November 2005 13:46, Paul T. Root wrote:
> >>This script is one of the most frustrating things ever
> >>written.
> >>
> >>[Snip]
> >
> >As an alternative to gnome-upgrade.sh you may want to consider
> >using sysutils/portmanager, all you need do is run
> >
> >portmanager x11/gnome2
> >
> >It'll do the upgrade no problem, tested it twice now myself.
> >
> >-Mike
>
> Paul
>
> This script was the source of my many frustrations.  On a dual-boot
> Gentoo Linux (production) and FreeBSD (new) server, the script ran
> night-after-night on a 2GHz P4 with no sign of completion.
>
> I admit that my experience of FreeBSD is limited, but my BSD experience
> is sound and my Linux experience is extensive, but this one caught me out.
>
> I think it really is a documentation problem.  As far as upgrading Gnome
> is concerned, the message I got from the web site was that just running
> the script was OK.  It should have said, run this script to update
> Gnome, but lots of functionaliity of your FreeBSD machine will be
> unusable while it runs and it might take many days to complete, even on
> a fast machine.
>
> Also, documentation of portmanager is almost entirely lacking.  It is
> not (AFAICT) mentioned in the handbook at all.
>
> I had such high hopes for FreeBSD 6 because earlier releases have been
> so nearly ideal for one machine I have that shamelessly functions as
> both a powerful 64-bit workstation and a file server.  However, my
> experience installing it on a 32-bit dual-boot-disc Gentoo Linux box has
> been unsatisfactory (at least partly, if not mainly, my fault) so I
> think I may do the safe thing and stick to Linux.
>
> Regards
> Alistair
>
> 1973 MG Midget, with all the Frontline Spridget mods, except the K-Series!
> That little monster can still better my 911 hands down in some tight
> twisty bits!

Here is a link to portmanager's submission for the handbook:

http://portmanager.sunsite.dk/distfiles/ports-using.html see section 4.5.5.2

and the PR of the submission

Then of course there is the man page portmanager(1)

or its website

On Wednesday 09 November 2005 18:26, Paul Root wrote:

> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > ***********************
> > This message has been scanned by the InterScan for CSC-SSM and found to
> > be free of known security risks. ***********-***********
>
> port and install or restart gnome-upgrade.sh
>
> >> I'm now assuming that since all gnome has been wiped off the
> >> disk, that the thing to do is build/install the port directly.
> >> Starting that up, I seem to be having the same downloading difficulties.
> >
> > As an alternative to gnome-upgrade.sh you may want to consider
> > using sysutils/portmanager, all you need do is run
> >
> > portmanager x11/gnome2
> >
> > It'll do the upgrade no problem, tested it twice now myself.
>
> Interesting. The web page said specifically don't do portupgrade.

I didn't say portupgrade, it is sysutils/portmanager

> My main problem is it's having trouble downloading, I think. I'm
> not sure why. We found problems on our Pix (actually the new
> ASA firewall) and the port the machine is on. We were getting half
> duplex, but those are all fixed now. Curiously, command line ftp
> never has a problem downloading, it's fetch (I think it's using fetch),
> that can't seem to download.

While your problem has nothing to do with gnome-upgrade.sh, portmanager
is designed to automatically pickup from where it left off, so stopping and
starting isn't a problem, and it won't remove a port until its replacement is
successfully built so if the port didn't fetch you won't lose anything,
portmanager will just move on to the next port that can be upgraded,  it is
very fail safe.

-Mike

Note: I removed [hidden email] from the return address as it is a dupe
of [hidden email].

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Thursday 10 November 2005 09:42, Paul T. Root wrote:
> I moved the machine to a DSL line here, and am running
> portmanager. It seems to be working.
>
> We're going to investigate issues with this beta Cisco
> ASA machine.

I am very interested at how things go with your upgrade,
please keep me informed.  Just to let you know, the current
version of portmanager is 0.3.3_2 if anything goes wrong check
that first "portmanager -v".   If any problems arise I am more
than happy to work with you in solving them quickly.

-Mike

> Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > ***********************
> > This message has been scanned by the InterScan for CSC-SSM and found to
> > be free of known security risks. ***********-***********

> >>port and install or restart gnome-upgrade.sh

> >>Interesting. The web page said specifically don't do portupgrade.
> >
> > I didn't say portupgrade, it is sysutils/portmanager
> >
> >>My main problem is it's having trouble downloading, I think. I'm
> >>not sure why. We found problems on our Pix (actually the new
> >>ASA firewall) and the port the machine is on. We were getting half
> >>duplex, but those are all fixed now. Curiously, command line ftp
> >>never has a problem downloading, it's fetch (I think it's using fetch),
> >>that can't seem to download.
> >
> > While your problem has nothing to do with gnome-upgrade.sh, portmanager
> > is designed to automatically pickup from where it left off, so stopping
> > and starting isn't a problem, and it won't remove a port until its
> > replacement is successfully built so if the port didn't fetch you won't
> > lose anything, portmanager will just move on to the next port that can be
> > upgraded,  it is very fail safe.
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > Note: I removed [hidden email] from the return address as it is a
> > dupe of [hidden email].

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Paul T. Root
Things are running better now. I moved it to  a dedicated
DSL line in my lab, and it's chugging along.

I see an occasional g_vfs_done message fly across. Error 16
on a read.
Something like
g_vfs_done: acd0[READ(offset=81920, length=2048) Error = 16

Opps, I crashed the machine. When I moved it, I unplugged the
USB DVD-RW and I had mounted one of the dist discs on there.
When I did a umount it paniced. My bad.

acd0 would be the internal DVD drive.

It seems that problem with my network was indeed the
Cisco ASA box we're beta testing. We have the CSC module
installed which is a stand alone linux box running trend for
virus, intrusion, etc. And there is a bug in the ftp inspection.
Hangs things up.

Ok, since I think the network is solved, I'll take this opportunity
to restart portmanager on the network.

Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> ***********************
> This message has been scanned by the InterScan for CSC-SSM and found to be free of known security risks.
> ***********-***********
>

> On Thursday 10 November 2005 09:42, Paul T. Root wrote:
>
>>I moved the machine to a DSL line here, and am running
>>portmanager. It seems to be working.
>>
>>We're going to investigate issues with this beta Cisco
>>ASA machine.
>

> I am very interested at how things go with your upgrade,
> please keep me informed.  Just to let you know, the current
> version of portmanager is 0.3.3_2 if anything goes wrong check
> that first "portmanager -v".   If any problems arise I am more
> than happy to work with you in solving them quickly.
>
> -Mike
>

>>Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>>
>>>***********************
>>>This message has been scanned by the InterScan for CSC-SSM and found to
>>>be free of known security risks. ***********-***********

>>>I didn't say portupgrade, it is sysutils/portmanager

>>>While your problem has nothing to do with gnome-upgrade.sh, portmanager
>>>is designed to automatically pickup from where it left off, so stopping
>>>and starting isn't a problem, and it won't remove a port until its
>>>replacement is successfully built so if the port didn't fetch you won't
>>>lose anything, portmanager will just move on to the next port that can be
>>>upgraded,  it is very fail safe.
>>>
>>>-Mike
>>>
>>>Note: I removed [hidden email] from the return address as it is a
>>>dupe of [hidden email].

    ______ Paul T. Root
   /    _ \   1977 MGB
  /  /||  \\
||\/ ||  _ |
||   ||   ||
  \   ||__//
   \______/

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Thursday 10 November 2005 11:32, Paul T. Root wrote:

> Things are running better now. I moved it to  a dedicated
> DSL line in my lab, and it's chugging along.
>
> I see an occasional g_vfs_done message fly across. Error 16
> on a read.
> Something like
> g_vfs_done: acd0[READ(offset=81920, length=2048) Error = 16
>
> Opps, I crashed the machine. When I moved it, I unplugged the
> USB DVD-RW and I had mounted one of the dist discs on there.
> When I did a umount it paniced. My bad.
>
> acd0 would be the internal DVD drive.
>

> It seems that problem with my network was indeed the
> Cisco ASA box we're beta testing. We have the CSC module
> installed which is a stand alone linux box running trend for
> virus, intrusion, etc. And there is a bug in the ftp inspection.
> Hangs things up.
>
> Ok, since I think the network is solved, I'll take this opportunity
> to restart portmanager on the network.

good luck :)

-Mike

Crashing after umounting unavailable filesystems

William Denton
On 10 November 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

>> Opps, I crashed the machine. When I moved it, I unplugged the
>> USB DVD-RW and I had mounted one of the dist discs on there.
>> When I did a umount it paniced. My bad.

That happened to me the other day too.  I'd mounted a USB flash drive,
unplugged the USB hub, replugged it, remounted the drive, and then of
course I couldn't umount the first mount.  I did a umount -f and the
machine crashed instantly.

Is this the sort of thing that's really hard to handle, or might it be
safer one day?  I don't know how serious it is to do bad things to mounted
file systems, but I'm curious.

Bill
--
William Denton : Toronto, Canada : www.miskatonic.org : www.frbr.org

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Friday 11 November 2005 01:43, Jan Grant wrote:

> [...]
> migrate.
>
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 November 2005 09:42, Paul T. Root wrote:
> > > I moved the machine to a DSL line here, and am running
> > > portmanager. It seems to be working.
> > >
> > > We're going to investigate issues with this beta Cisco
> > > ASA machine.
> >
> > I am very interested at how things go with your upgrade,
> > please keep me informed.  Just to let you know, the current
> > version of portmanager is 0.3.3_2 if anything goes wrong check
> > that first "portmanager -v".   If any problems arise I am more
> > than happy to work with you in solving them quickly.
>
> I've been very interested in portmanager, but I'm facing a large
> migration task because I've come from a portupgrade environment (and the
> pain of migrating to portupgrade was bad enough :-) )
>
> Ideally I'd like to be able to manage my portupgrade rules and derive
> portmanager rules directly (at least for an interim period). There are a
> couple of things which stop me shifting over (which I'd like to do,
> since portupgrade still requires manual intervention too often). Note I
> don't have what I'd describe as a _complex_ portupgrade configuration,
> just a _large_ one.
>
> Firstly: unfortunately I believe that the wildcard-matching facility
> available in pkgtools.conf isn't available in portmanager (I can't tell
> from the man page or the sample, but it looks like that's not the case).
>
> My pkgtools.conf has hundreds(! - busy workstation) of entries along
> these lines - some entries apply to several ports, and the portupgrade
> toolset just basically uses the union of all matching rules:
>
> [[[
>   '*/*' => 'BATCH=yes',
>   '*/kde*' => 'WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes',
>   'databases/p5-DBI' => 'WITH_PROXY=yes',
>   'deskutils/kdepim3' => 'WITH_KPILOT=yes',
>   'devel/gnomevfs2' => 'WITH_X11=yes',
>   'devel/sdl12' => 'WITH_X11=yes',
>   'devel/subversion' => 'WITH_PYTHON=yes WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN=yes
> WITHOUT_BDB=yes', ]]]
>
> ... and so on; so deskutils/kdepim3 gets built with
> BATCH=yes WITH_KPILOT=yes WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes
> but more importantly, any future kde packages also get
> WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes automatically.
>
> It'd be convenient if portmanager supported the same wildcard
> ability (it'd make the script to migrate settings from pkgtools.conf to
> portmanager much more straightforward).
>
> The second issue is the AFTERINSTALL feature of pkgtools.conf; although
> I make much less use of this, it's really handy to be able to specify
> things like:
>
> [[[
> AFTERINSTALL = {
>  'www/jakarta-tomcat5' => 'chmod a-x
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020.jakarta-tomcat*.sh', # ... etc
> }
> ]]]
>
> which let me encapsulate common small tweaks, post-installation.
>
> Do you have any suggestions about either of these? Lacking CFT at the

Port build options are covered in man portmanager(1). You didn't provide an
example where wild cards are used so I'm not sure what you mean there.

Here is how to handle this one:

> AFTERINSTALL = {
>  'www/jakarta-tomcat5' => 'chmod a-x
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020.jakarta-tomcat*.sh', # ... etc
> }

from portmanager(1) setting up pm-020.conf

      #
      # STOP/START these programs if they are updated
      #
      # Stop command will be run after program is built, before
      # old installed version is removed
      #
      # Start command will be run after rebuilt program is
      # installed and successfully registerd
      #
      # note:
      #   must have leading "/" in /{category}/{port dir}
      #   anything after  /{category}/{port dir} is run as
      #   a sh shell command
      #
      #STOP|/mail/postfix /usr/local/sbin/postfix stop|
      #START|/mail/postfix /usr/local/sbin/postfix start|

In your case you would do this:

STOP| www/jakarta-tomcat5 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020.jakarta-tomcat*.sh|

Stopping/starting is a new feature just introduced in 0.3.3_3.

-Mike

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

jan.grant
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> On Friday 11 November 2005 01:43, Jan Grant wrote:

> > My pkgtools.conf has hundreds(! - busy workstation) of entries along
> > these lines - some entries apply to several ports, and the portupgrade
> > toolset just basically uses the union of all matching rules:
> >
> > [[[
> >   '*/*' => 'BATCH=yes',
> >   '*/kde*' => 'WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes',
> >   'databases/p5-DBI' => 'WITH_PROXY=yes',
> >   'deskutils/kdepim3' => 'WITH_KPILOT=yes',
> >   'devel/gnomevfs2' => 'WITH_X11=yes',
> >   'devel/sdl12' => 'WITH_X11=yes',
> >   'devel/subversion' => 'WITH_PYTHON=yes WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN=yes
> > WITHOUT_BDB=yes',
> > ]]]
> >
> > ... and so on; so deskutils/kdepim3 gets built with
> > BATCH=yes WITH_KPILOT=yes WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes
> > but more importantly, any future kde packages also get
> > WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes automatically.
> >
> > It'd be convenient if portmanager supported the same wildcard
> > ability (it'd make the script to migrate settings from pkgtools.conf to
> > portmanager much more straightforward).

> Port build options are covered in man portmanager(1). You didn't provide an
> example where wild cards are used so I'm not sure what you mean there.

The asterisks in the snippet above are wildcards. When portupgrade looks
for the options to a port, it pattern-matches against all the entries.
The deskutils/kdepim3 is a simple example above.

> Stopping/starting is a new feature just introduced in 0.3.3_3.

Cheers, that's very handy.

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Goedel would be proud - I'm both inconsistent _and_ incomplete.

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Friday 11 November 2005 05:44, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Friday 11 November 2005 01:43, Jan Grant wrote:
> > > My pkgtools.conf has hundreds(! - busy workstation) of entries along
> > > these lines - some entries apply to several ports, and the portupgrade
> > > toolset just basically uses the union of all matching rules:
> > >
> > > [[[
> > >   '*/*' => 'BATCH=yes',
> > >   '*/kde*' => 'WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes',
> > >   'databases/p5-DBI' => 'WITH_PROXY=yes',
> > >   'deskutils/kdepim3' => 'WITH_KPILOT=yes',
> > >   'devel/gnomevfs2' => 'WITH_X11=yes',
> > >   'devel/sdl12' => 'WITH_X11=yes',
> > >   'devel/subversion' => 'WITH_PYTHON=yes WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN=yes
> > > WITHOUT_BDB=yes',
> > > ]]]
> > >
> > > ... and so on; so deskutils/kdepim3 gets built with
> > > BATCH=yes WITH_KPILOT=yes WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes
> > > but more importantly, any future kde packages also get
> > > WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes automatically.
> > >
> > > It'd be convenient if portmanager supported the same wildcard
> > > ability (it'd make the script to migrate settings from pkgtools.conf to
> > > portmanager much more straightforward).
> >
> > Port build options are covered in man portmanager(1). You didn't provide
> > an example where wild cards are used so I'm not sure what you mean there.
>
> The asterisks in the snippet above are wildcards. When portupgrade looks
> for the options to a port, it pattern-matches against all the entries.
> The deskutils/kdepim3 is a simple example above.

Silly me, I get it now. Not supported yet but I like the idea so am adding it
to the things to do list.  This one will be near the top.

> > Stopping/starting is a new feature just introduced in 0.3.3_3.
>
> Cheers, that's very handy.

-Mike

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

jan.grant
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

[on wildcards in portmanager rules]

> Silly me, I get it now. Not supported yet but I like the idea so am adding it
> to the things to do list.  This one will be near the top.

That's great! - especially since that pretty much makes it a mechanical
process to take pkgtools.conf and spit out a corresponding portmanager
config.

Thanks Mike.

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
Personal responsibility for corporate decisions:
if they've nothing to hide, they've nothing to lobby against.

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Friday 11 November 2005 05:58, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
>
> [on wildcards in portmanager rules]
>
> > Silly me, I get it now. Not supported yet but I like the idea so am
> > adding it to the things to do list.  This one will be near the top.
>
> That's great! - especially since that pretty much makes it a mechanical
> process to take pkgtools.conf and spit out a corresponding portmanager
> config.
>
> Thanks Mike.

I'll try to remember cc'ing you when I submit a change this. My guess is two
days to a week, depends on if any new bugs are reported.

-Mike

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Friday 11 November 2005 05:58, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> On Friday 11 November 2005 05:58, Jan Grant wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> >
> > [on wildcards in portmanager rules]
> >
> > > Silly me, I get it now. Not supported yet but I like the idea so am
> > > adding it to the things to do list.  This one will be near the top.
> >
> > That's great! - especially since that pretty much makes it a mechanical
> > process to take pkgtools.conf and spit out a corresponding portmanager
> > config.
> >
> > Thanks Mike.
>
> I'll try to remember cc'ing you when I submit a change this. My guess is
> two days to a week, depends on if any new bugs are reported.
>
> -Mike

One last thing, if you make a script that does the conversion, might I have a
copy?  Here is how I'll set up pm-020.conf to work:

textproc/docproj|JADETEX=no|
java/jdk14|-DMINIMAL|
textproc/libxml2|THREADS=off SCHEMA=on MEM_DEBUG=off THREAD_ALLOC=off|
*/kde*|WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes|
*/*|BATCH=yes|

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

jan.grant
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> On Friday 11 November 2005 05:58, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > On Friday 11 November 2005 05:58, Jan Grant wrote:
> > > On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> > >
> > > [on wildcards in portmanager rules]

> > > That's great! - especially since that pretty much makes it a mechanical
> > > process to take pkgtools.conf and spit out a corresponding portmanager
> > > config.
> > >
> > > Thanks Mike.
> >
> > I'll try to remember cc'ing you when I submit a change this. My guess is
> > two days to a week, depends on if any new bugs are reported.
> >
> > -Mike
>
> One last thing, if you make a script that does the conversion, might I have a
> copy?  Here is how I'll set up pm-020.conf to work:

Surely. pkgtools.conf is actually a ruby script: I've no idea how
dynamically the rules are evaluated but something that works ona
prettystock bunch of settings should be close to trivial.

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
...and then three milkmaids turned up
(to the delight and delactation of the crowd).

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Friday 11 November 2005 06:26, Jan Grant wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> > > I'll try to remember cc'ing you when I submit a change this. My guess
> > > is two days to a week, depends on if any new bugs are reported.
> > >
> > > -Mike
> >
> > One last thing, if you make a script that does the conversion, might I
> > have a copy?  Here is how I'll set up pm-020.conf to work:
>
> Surely. pkgtools.conf is actually a ruby script: I've no idea how
> dynamically the rules are evaluated but something that works ona
> prettystock bunch of settings should be close to trivial.

Thank you.  If it works well I might use it to have portmanager pick up
settings from portupgrade "on the fly", or at least provide some sort
of conversion command.  Thanks :)

-Mike

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

jan.grant
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> > > One last thing, if you make a script that does the conversion, might I
> > > have a copy?  Here is how I'll set up pm-020.conf to work:
> >
> > Surely. pkgtools.conf is actually a ruby script: I've no idea how
> > dynamically the rules are evaluated but something that works ona
> > prettystock bunch of settings should be close to trivial.
>
> Thank you.  If it works well I might use it to have portmanager pick up
> settings from portupgrade "on the fly", or at least provide some sort
> of conversion command.  Thanks :)
Attached uses ruby to parse the pkgtools.conf (it relies on the
portupgrade ruby package) - it'll spit out the appropriate sections
(HOLD_PKGS, BEFOREBUILD, AFTERINSTALL and MAKE_ARGS) in what I think the
portmanager format is (although the script is trivial, as you can see).
Note that the MAKE_ARGS etc go through a hash/dictionary and
consequently are unordered. A small snippet of the output I get from
this:

[[[
CATEGORY/PORT|OPTION=|          # do not delete this line!

# Ignored packages from HOLD_PKGS

IGNORE|bsdpan-*|
IGNORE|x11/nvidia-driver|
IGNORE|editors/openoffice*|

# STOP entries come from BEFOREBUILD

# START entries come from AFTERINSTALL

START|/databases/postgresql7 chmod a+x /usr/local/share/postgresql/502.pgsql|
START|/www/jakarta-tomcat5 chmod a-x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020.jakarta-tomcat*.sh|

# Package options from MAKE_ARGS
# Note: pkgtools.conf will use the UNION of all matching lines

security/gnupg|WITH_SUID_GPG=yes|
devel/subversion|WITH_PYTHON=yes WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN=yes WITHOUT_BDB=yes|
x11/kde3||
deskutils/kdepim3|WITH_KPILOT=yes|
www/gallery||
www/rt*|WITH_FASTCGI=yes WITH_APACHE2=yes DB_TYPE=Pg DB_HOST=localhost DB_DATABASE=rt3 DB_USER=rt3|
www/apache2|WITH_PROXY_MODULES=yes|
multimedia/kdemultimedia*|WITH_LAME=yes WITH_XINE=yes WITH_MPEGLIB=yes|
*/*|BATCH=yes|
java/jdk14|NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP=yes JAVA_HOME=|
*/kde*|WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes|
mail/exim|WITH_EXIMON=yes WITH_EXISCAN_ACL=yes WITH_TCP_WRAPPERS=yes WITH_PGSQL=yes WITHOUT_PERL=yes |
]]]

Tel +44 (0)117 3317661   http://ioctl.org/jan/
I'm the dandy information superhighwayman.

pkgtools-to-portmanager.rb (1K) Download Attachment

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Friday 11 November 2005 07:23, Jan Grant wrote:

> > > Surely. pkgtools.conf is actually a ruby script: I've no idea how
> > > dynamically the rules are evaluated but something that works ona
> > > prettystock bunch of settings should be close to trivial.
> >
> > Thank you.  If it works well I might use it to have portmanager pick up
> > settings from portupgrade "on the fly", or at least provide some sort
> > of conversion command.  Thanks :)
>
> Attached uses ruby to parse the pkgtools.conf (it relies on the
> portupgrade ruby package) - it'll spit out the appropriate sections
> (HOLD_PKGS, BEFOREBUILD, AFTERINSTALL and MAKE_ARGS) in what I think the
> portmanager format is (although the script is trivial, as you can see).
> Note that the MAKE_ARGS etc go through a hash/dictionary and
> consequently are unordered. A small snippet of the output I get from
> this:
>
> [[[
> CATEGORY/PORT|OPTION=|          # do not delete this line!
>
> # Ignored packages from HOLD_PKGS
>
> IGNORE|bsdpan-*|
> IGNORE|x11/nvidia-driver|
> IGNORE|editors/openoffice*|
>
> # STOP entries come from BEFOREBUILD
>

> # START entries come from AFTERINSTALL
>
> START|/databases/postgresql7 chmod a+x
> /usr/local/share/postgresql/502.pgsql| START|/www/jakarta-tomcat5 chmod a-x
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020.jakarta-tomcat*.sh|
>
> # Package options from MAKE_ARGS
> # Note: pkgtools.conf will use the UNION of all matching lines
>
> security/gnupg|WITH_SUID_GPG=yes|
> devel/subversion|WITH_PYTHON=yes WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN=yes WITHOUT_BDB=yes|
> x11/kde3||
> deskutils/kdepim3|WITH_KPILOT=yes|
> www/gallery||
> www/rt*|WITH_FASTCGI=yes WITH_APACHE2=yes DB_TYPE=Pg DB_HOST=localhost
> DB_DATABASE=rt3 DB_USER=rt3| www/apache2|WITH_PROXY_MODULES=yes|
> multimedia/kdemultimedia*|WITH_LAME=yes WITH_XINE=yes WITH_MPEGLIB=yes|
> */*|BATCH=yes|
> java/jdk14|NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP=yes JAVA_HOME=|
> */kde*|WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes|
> mail/exim|WITH_EXIMON=yes WITH_EXISCAN_ACL=yes WITH_TCP_WRAPPERS=yes
> WITH_PGSQL=yes WITHOUT_PERL=yes | ]]]
                                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^ little glitch?

Works good, just one thing, portmanager has no dependencies, like to keep it
that way.  How are you at awk? I use this awk script to do initial parsing of
the config file:

#!/bin/sh
#
# $1 = pm-020.conf $2 = output file name
#
echo "keyzzNULLzzvaluezzNULLzz" > $2;awk 'BEGIN{ FS = "|" } NF == 3 &&
$1 !~ /#/  && $1 !~ /CATEGORY\/PORT/ && $2 !~ /#/ {print $1 "zzNULLz

I'm no scripter so getting the above to work was painful ;)

-Mike

Re: gnome-upgrade.sh

Michael C. Shultz
On Friday 11 November 2005 07:29, Michael C. Shultz wrote:

> > > Thank you.  If it works well I might use it to have portmanager pick up
> > > settings from portupgrade "on the fly", or at least provide some sort
> > > of conversion command.  Thanks :)
> >
> > Attached uses ruby to parse the pkgtools.conf (it relies on the
> > portupgrade ruby package) - it'll spit out the appropriate sections
> > (HOLD_PKGS, BEFOREBUILD, AFTERINSTALL and MAKE_ARGS) in what I think the
> > portmanager format is (although the script is trivial, as you can see).
> > Note that the MAKE_ARGS etc go through a hash/dictionary and
> > consequently are unordered. A small snippet of the output I get from
> > this:
> >
> > [[[
> > CATEGORY/PORT|OPTION=|          # do not delete this line!
> >
> > # Ignored packages from HOLD_PKGS
> >
> > IGNORE|bsdpan-*|
> > IGNORE|x11/nvidia-driver|
> > IGNORE|editors/openoffice*|
> >
> > # STOP entries come from BEFOREBUILD
> >

> > # START entries come from AFTERINSTALL
> >
> > START|/databases/postgresql7 chmod a+x
> > /usr/local/share/postgresql/502.pgsql| START|/www/jakarta-tomcat5 chmod
> > a-x /usr/local/etc/rc.d/020.jakarta-tomcat*.sh|
> >
> > # Package options from MAKE_ARGS
> > # Note: pkgtools.conf will use the UNION of all matching lines
> >
> > security/gnupg|WITH_SUID_GPG=yes|
> > devel/subversion|WITH_PYTHON=yes WITH_MOD_DAV_SVN=yes WITHOUT_BDB=yes|
> > x11/kde3||
> > deskutils/kdepim3|WITH_KPILOT=yes|
> > www/gallery||
> > www/rt*|WITH_FASTCGI=yes WITH_APACHE2=yes DB_TYPE=Pg DB_HOST=localhost
> > DB_DATABASE=rt3 DB_USER=rt3| www/apache2|WITH_PROXY_MODULES=yes|
> > multimedia/kdemultimedia*|WITH_LAME=yes WITH_XINE=yes WITH_MPEGLIB=yes|
> > */*|BATCH=yes|
> > java/jdk14|NATIVE_BOOTSTRAP=yes JAVA_HOME=|
> > */kde*|WITH_KDE_DEBUG=yes|
> > mail/exim|WITH_EXIMON=yes WITH_EXISCAN_ACL=yes WITH_TCP_WRAPPERS=yes
> > WITH_PGSQL=yes WITHOUT_PERL=yes | ]]]
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^ little glitch?
>
> Works good, just one thing, portmanager has no dependencies, like to keep
> it that way.  How are you at awk? I use this awk script to do initial
> parsing of the config file:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> #
> # $1 = pm-020.conf $2 = output file name
> #
> echo "keyzzNULLzzvaluezzNULLzz" > $2;awk 'BEGIN{ FS = "|" } NF == 3 &&
> $1 !~ /#/  && $1 !~ /CATEGORY\/PORT/ && $2 !~ /#/ {print $1 "zzNULLz
>
> I'm no scripter so getting the above to work was painful ;)
>
> -Mike

Sorry I was being dumb.   The ruby script is no problem, it will only run
if portupgrade is installed so a dependency won't have to be put on ruby.

-Mike

12