grub2 with libzfs

12

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
I know grub2 is not very popular with the FreeBSD community, but I like it. Currently the grub2 port looks broken and port maintainer has advised me that he plans on dropping the port soon. I don't see any point in filing a PR at this point...

This leaves git/svn trunk from the grub2 download site for ver 2.0. Unfortunately, when I try to compile I get a libzfs error (seems you must invoke --enable-libzfs):

./configure --enable-libzfs  ==>
checking for ft2build.h... yes
checking for fuse_main_real in -lfuse... yes
checking fuse/fuse.h usability... yes
checking fuse/fuse.h presence... yes
checking for fuse/fuse.h... yes
checking libdevmapper.h usability... no
checking libdevmapper.h presence... no
checking for libdevmapper.h... no
checking for geom_gettree in -lgeom... yes
checking for lzma_code in -llzma... yes
checking libzfs.h usability... no
checking libzfs.h presence... no
checking for libzfs.h... no
checking libnvpair.h usability... no
checking libnvpair.h presence... no
checking for libnvpair.h... no
checking for libzfs_init in -lzfs... no
configure: error: libzfs support was explicitly requested but
requirements are not satisfied

libzfs is in /usr/lib and libzfs.so.2 is in /lib, but the make process is looking for libzfs.h.

Any suggestions on how to get this working?

Regards.
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

Re: grub2 with libzfs

Christian Mangin
Hello,

You don't need libzfs to use grub2 on ZFS. You just need to specify the
zfs module if your 'grub-install' target is a ZFS dataset. I've submitted
a patch for this port a while ago, There are probably issues I'm not
aware of but I've been using this custom port for the last 6 months
without problems.

(tarball attached.)

Beeblebrox a écrit :

> I know grub2 is not very popular with the FreeBSD community, but I
> like it. Currently the grub2 port looks broken and port maintainer
> has advised me that he plans on dropping the port soon. I don't see
> any point in filing a PR at this point...
>
> This leaves git/svn trunk from the grub2 download site for ver 2.0.
> Unfortunately, when I try to compile I get a libzfs error (seems you
> must invoke --enable-libzfs):
>
> ./configure --enable-libzfs  ==> checking for ft2build.h... yes
> checking for fuse_main_real in -lfuse... yes checking fuse/fuse.h
> usability... yes checking fuse/fuse.h presence... yes checking for
> fuse/fuse.h... yes checking libdevmapper.h usability... no checking
> libdevmapper.h presence... no checking for libdevmapper.h... no
> checking for geom_gettree in -lgeom... yes checking for lzma_code in
> -llzma... yes checking libzfs.h usability... no checking libzfs.h
> presence... no checking for libzfs.h... no checking libnvpair.h
> usability... no checking libnvpair.h presence... no checking for
> libnvpair.h... no checking for libzfs_init in -lzfs... no configure:
> error: libzfs support was explicitly requested but requirements are
> not satisfied
>
> libzfs is in /usr/lib and libzfs.so.2 is in /lib, but the make
> process is looking for libzfs.h.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get this working?
>
> Regards.

> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/grub2-with-libzfs-tp5799405.html

Sent from the freebsd-ports mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

--
[hidden email] - PGP: C850892A

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
Hi, very happy to see that there are other grub fans in FreeBSD-land!

I was planning to place my grub on a separate UFS partition so that I can boot other things (like loopbacked iso's) if I should want to. The grub UFS partition only has grub files in it (what mounts under /boot/grub) and no kernel files.

>> specify the zfs module if your 'grub-install' target is a ZFS dataset
I forgot to mention my dedicated grub partition, so I hope it clarifies that my grub-install target is not a ZFS dataset. However, "kfreebsd /@/boot/kernel/kernel" is on a ZFS dataset.

Other things I forgot to mention:
I booted an ubuntu cd and installed grub 1.98 on the UFS grub partition. When I drop into the grub command line and "grub> zfslist (hd0) or (hd0,1)" I get message "no labels found". "insmod zfs" is loaded by default at grub boot-up.
Host info: 10-Current, amd64, ZFS ver: features async_destroy, empty_bpobj, lz4_compress

>> You don't need libzfs to use grub2 on ZFS.
Please clarify: Do you mean that I don't need to invoke "--enable-libzfs"? If so, why do I get the error above (no labels found)?

Thank you for the input & Regards.
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
EDIT: I just tried "make" (without the --enable-libzfs) flag for grub 2.0 and got different error:

grub-2.00 # make
"Makefile", line 20946: Need an operator

line 20946 is:
44: export LC_COLLATE := C
45: export LC_CTYPE := C
46: unexport LC_ALL

Which source are you using?
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
Trying gmake (thanks for the suggestion to SW)

grub-2.00 # gmake
flex -o grub_script.yy.c --header-file=grub_script.yy.h ./grub-core/script/yylex.l
flex: can't open grub_script.yy.c
gmake: *** [grub_script.yy.h] Error 1

Beeblebrox a écrit :

> Hi, very happy to see that there are other grub fans in FreeBSD-land!
>
> I was planning to place my grub on a separate UFS partition so that I can
> boot other things (like loopbacked iso's) if I should want to. The grub UFS
> partition only has grub files in it (what mounts under /boot/grub) and no
> kernel files.
>>> specify the zfs module if your 'grub-install' target is a ZFS dataset
> I forgot to mention my dedicated grub partition, so I hope it clarifies that
> my grub-install target is not a ZFS dataset. However, "kfreebsd
> /@/boot/kernel/kernel" is on a ZFS dataset.
Then it should be sufficient to have 'insmod zfs' in grub.cfg. Because grub
doesn't need to know about ZFS before loading its config files.

> Other things I forgot to mention:
> I booted an ubuntu cd and installed grub 1.98 on the UFS grub partition.
> When I drop into the grub command line and "grub> zfslist (hd0) or (hd0,1)"
> I get message "no labels found". "insmod zfs" is loaded by default at grub
> boot-up.
> Host info: 10-Current, amd64, ZFS ver: features async_destroy, empty_bpobj,
> lz4_compress

If I remember well, the 'vanilla' grub 1.98 doesn't recognize ZFS pools
properly.
This would explain that your Ubuntu version can't see it. There are
patches in
the current FreeBSD port to fix that. These patches were integrated upstream
in later versions.

>>> You don't need libzfs to use grub2 on ZFS.
> Please clarify: Do you mean that I don't need to invoke "--enable-libzfs"?
> If so, why do I get the error above (no labels found)?
You definitively don't need '--enable-libzfs'. On FreeBSD, this will
look for some
non-existent include file and fail. This option seems to be used by
folks running
Linux on ZFS.

And just a remark. I think the current version of grub2 in the ports
could be
sufficient for your need. With version 2.00 you gain the ability to
install grub
directly on ZFS, but since you don't use that..

Beeblebrox a écrit :

> EDIT: I just tried "make" (without the --enable-libzfs) flag for grub 2.0 and
> got different error:
>
> grub-2.00 # make
> "Makefile", line 20946: Need an operator
>
> line 20946 is:
> 44: export LC_COLLATE := C
> 45: export LC_CTYPE := C
> 46: unexport LC_ALL
>
> Which source are you using?

I'll advise not to start that unless you have a lot of time on your hand.
It took me a few evenings to come up with patches and a working port
so you are warned.

Just build the custom port from the tarball (from my 1st reply)
or use the current FreeBSD port.

--
[hidden email] - PGP: C850892A

Re: grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
>> current version of grub2 in the ports could be sufficient for your need
That's what I had hoped for and expected, but the port build fails (that's why I had contacted the port maintainer Sergey Matveychuk). Build for grub 1.98_1 breaks at:

gcc -Iefiemu -I./efiemu -nostdinc -isystem /usr/local/lib/gcc46/gcc/x86_64-portbld-freebsd10.0/4.6.3/include -I./include -I. -I./include -Wall -W  -Os -DGRUB_MACHINE_PCBIOS=1 -Wall -W -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes                -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -g -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -falign-functions=1 -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -m32 -fno-stack-protector -mno-stack-arg-probe -Werror -fno-builtin -mrtd -mregparm=3 -m32 -MD -c -o efiemu_mod-efiemu_main.o efiemu/main.c
efiemu/main.c: In function 'grub_efiemu_prepare':
efiemu/main.c:280:14: error: variable 'err' set but not used [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
gmake: *** [efiemu_mod-efiemu_main.o] Error 1
*** [do-build] Error code 1

Is there a way to get around the error?

Thanks and Regards
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
Christian:
It seems I did not understand your first post very well:
You are saying that I can also try your tarball, but I thought it was only a patch to the grub repository. So I'll go ahead and give your sourcecode+pathc tarball a try and see if it compiles.

Your first post is missing the link to the tarball - can you re-post the link please?

Thanks.

Beeblebrox a écrit :

>>> current version of grub2 in the ports could be sufficient for your need
> That's what I had hoped for and expected, but the port build fails (that's
> why I had contacted the port maintainer Sergey Matveychuk). Build for grub
> 1.98_1 breaks at:
>
> gcc -Iefiemu -I./efiemu -nostdinc -isystem
> /usr/local/lib/gcc46/gcc/x86_64-portbld-freebsd10.0/4.6.3/include
> -I./include -I. -I./include -Wall -W  -Os -DGRUB_MACHINE_PCBIOS=1 -Wall -W
> -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wmissing-prototypes                -Wundef
> -Wstrict-prototypes -g -falign-jumps=1 -falign-loops=1 -falign-functions=1
> -mno-mmx -mno-sse -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fno-dwarf2-cfi-asm -m32
> -fno-stack-protector -mno-stack-arg-probe -Werror -fno-builtin -mrtd
> -mregparm=3 -m32 -MD -c -o efiemu_mod-efiemu_main.o efiemu/main.c
> efiemu/main.c: In function 'grub_efiemu_prepare':
> efiemu/main.c:280:14: error: variable 'err' set but not used
> [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
> cc1: all warnings being treated as errors
> gmake: *** [efiemu_mod-efiemu_main.o] Error 1
> *** [do-build] Error code 1
>
> Is there a way to get around the error?
>
> Thanks and Regards

There's something wrong here. You're compiling with gcc and use gcc46
include files?
Anyway I get the same error with grub 1.98 when trying to build with gcc46.

I know that this version can be built with base gcc but the configure
script will expect cc=gcc.
This is not true anymore in 10-current where cc=clang.

So I guess it's broken in 10-current.

I'm sending this to your email so you can grab the tarball.

--
[hidden email] - PGP: C850892A

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
Your Makefile went pretty well for a while - config ran cleanly without any problems.

>>You're compiling with gcc and use gcc46 include files?
I have lang/gcc46 installed, but found that many gnu-related ports gave gcc errors. Then I found the fix like this (until gcc port is modified to correct the problem): These need to be created, because gcc looks in /usr/bin:
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc46 /usr/bin/gcc
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/g++46 /usr/bin/g++

Back to your script, it finished config then started build but broke at geom_gettree:
/gcc46 -o grub-mount util/grub_mount-grub-mount.o grub-core/kern/emu/grub_mount-hostfs.o grub-core/disk/grub_mount-host.o grub_mount-grub_fstest_init.o libgrubmods.a libgrubgcry.a libgrubkern.a grub-core/gnulib/libgnu.a -lintl    -lfuse
libgrubkern.a(libgrubkern_a-hostdisk.o): In function `grub_util_follow_gpart_up':
hostdisk.c:(.text+0x78a): undefined reference to `geom_gettree'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake[2]: *** [grub-mount] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/asp/obj/asp/git/grub2/work/grub-2.00'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/asp/obj/asp/git/grub2/work/grub-2.00'
gmake: *** [all] Error 2
*** [do-build] Error code 1

Regards.

Beeblebrox a écrit :

> Your Makefile went pretty well for a while - config ran cleanly without any
> problems.
>
>>> You're compiling with gcc and use gcc46 include files?
> I have lang/gcc46 installed, but found that many gnu-related ports gave gcc
> errors. Then I found the fix like this (until gcc port is modified to
> correct the problem): These need to be created, because gcc looks in
> /usr/bin:
> # ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc46 /usr/bin/gcc
> # ln -s /usr/local/bin/g++46 /usr/bin/g++
>
> Back to your script, it finished config then started build but broke at
> geom_gettree:
> /gcc46 -o grub-mount util/grub_mount-grub-mount.o
> grub-core/kern/emu/grub_mount-hostfs.o grub-core/disk/grub_mount-host.o
> grub_mount-grub_fstest_init.o libgrubmods.a libgrubgcry.a libgrubkern.a
> grub-core/gnulib/libgnu.a -lintl    -lfuse
> libgrubkern.a(libgrubkern_a-hostdisk.o): In function
> `grub_util_follow_gpart_up':
> hostdisk.c:(.text+0x78a): undefined reference to `geom_gettree'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> gmake[2]: *** [grub-mount] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/asp/obj/asp/git/grub2/work/grub-2.00'
> gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/asp/obj/asp/git/grub2/work/grub-2.00'
> gmake: *** [all] Error 2
> *** [do-build] Error code 1
>
> Regards.

Ok, could you send me your config log ?

--
[hidden email] - PGP: C850892A

Re: grub2 with libzfs

Juergen Lock-2
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:31:50AM -0700, Beeblebrox wrote:

> EDIT: I just tried "make" (without the --enable-libzfs) flag for grub 2.0 and
> got different error:
>
> grub-2.00 # make
> "Makefile", line 20946: Need an operator
>
> line 20946 is:
> 44: export LC_COLLATE := C
> 45: export LC_CTYPE := C
> 46: unexport LC_ALL
>
> Which source are you using?

By the way there is a PR to update the grub2 port to 2.00 [1] (that
I also worked a bit on), it doesn't use libzfs yet but it's possible
you only have to add

        CPATH=${SRC_BASE}/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common

to CONFIGURE_ENV and MAKE_ENV, and add a ZFS knob to enable this
that checks ${SRC_BASE}/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common/libzfs.h
exists and is off by default because the system sources are not
installed on all systems.  (and possibly fix the plist...)

 HTH, :)
        Juergen

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/170417

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
>>you only have to add
>>        CPATH=${SRC_BASE}/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common
>>to CONFIGURE_ENV and MAKE_ENV, and add a ZFS knob to enable this
>>that checks ${SRC_BASE}/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common/libzfs.h

That sounds like a great solution!

How is all of that done, exactly?? :P

FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

Re: grub2 with libzfs

Juergen Lock-2
In article <[hidden email]> you write:

>>>you only have to add
>>>        CPATH=${SRC_BASE}/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common
>>>to CONFIGURE_ENV and MAKE_ENV, and add a ZFS knob to enable this
>>>that checks
>${SRC_BASE}/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/lib/libzfs/common/libzfs.h
>
>That sounds like a great solution!
>
>How is all of that done, exactly?? :P

Well this turned out to be a little more tricky anyway...
I'm currently testing more or less this update on redports:

        http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/grub-2.00-004-zfs.patch

 I haven't runtime-tested grub-install and booting at all yet tho,
let alone the zfs support, I'll leave that testing to volunteers
like you for now. :)

 Thanx,
        Juergen

Re: grub2 with libzfs

Sam Fourman Jr.
>         http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/grub-2.00-004-zfs.patch
>
>  I haven't runtime-tested grub-install and booting at all yet tho,
> let alone the zfs support, I'll leave that testing to volunteers
> like you for now. :)
>
>  Thanx,
>         Juergen

Re: grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
Sam: it goes like this:

menuentry "FreeBSD Direct-Boot" {
    search -s -l zpool
    kfreebsd /@/boot/kernel/kernel
    kfreebsd_module_elf /@/boot/kernel/opensolaris.ko
    kfreebsd_module_elf /@/boot/kernel/zfs.ko
    kfreebsd_module /@/boot/zfs/zpool.cache type=/boot/zfs/zpool.cache
    kfreebsd_loadenv /@/boot/device.hints
    set kFreeBSD.vfs.root.mountfrom=zfs:zpool
}

This is valid if root is on the zfs dataset with the same name as the zpool - a zfs dataset is created at the same time when pool is created. If root is on that dataset, this is the syntax.

If root is on another dataset (say pool/myzfsroot) then modify @ with myzfsroot@ =>
    kfreebsd /myzfsroot@/boot/kernel/kernel
    kfreebsd_module_elf /myzfsroot@/boot/kernel/opensolaris.ko
etc...

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 02:45:59PM -0400, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> >         http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/grub-2.00-004-zfs.patch
> >
> >  I haven't runtime-tested grub-install and booting at all yet tho,
> > let alone the zfs support, I'll leave that testing to volunteers
> > like you for now. :)
> >
> >  Thanx,
> >         Juergen
>

> I would be happy to test this, does anyone have the exact grub syntax
> to boot a FreeBSD zfs root pool?

Maybe this helps:

        http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=194477#post194477

 Thanx! :)
        Juergen

grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox
grub2.0 is installed, but does not have ZFS capability. I go to the grub command-line and:
grub> ls => (hd0,gpt1) (hd0,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd1,gpt2) etc...
grub> zfsinfo (hd0,gpt1) => error: could't find a valid label

I have 3 pools but grub finds none of the labels. grub.cfg is loading as default:
insmod part_gpt
insmod zfs
insmod ufs

I also had to provide "insmod bsd" as default, because grub kept giving me a 'cannot locate bsd.mod' error, it would then become stuck and was unable to perform any action.

I am currently booting from a temporarily created UFS partition hosting only /boot.  /boot/grub is on a separate partition as well.

Regards
FreeBSD-11-current_amd64_root-on-zfs_RadeonKMS

Re: grub2 with libzfs

Juergen Lock-2
In article <[hidden email]> you write:
>grub2.0 is installed, but does not have ZFS capability. I go to the grub
>command-line and:
>grub> ls => (hd0,gpt1) (hd0,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd1,gpt2) etc...
>grub> zfsinfo (hd0,gpt1) => error: could't find a valid label

Hm interesting, does tab-completion list the zfs.es like in

        http://imgur.com/a/FUdhs

if you do

        grub> set root=(hd0<tab>

?  If not can you try again with the latest update

        http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/grub-2.00-006-zfs.patch

with the zfs knob _disabled_ instead of enabled?  (the gentoo zfs
patch made it detect libzfs even w/o needing the base libzfs.h,
maybe the build with the zfs knob enabled is in fact broken?)

>I have 3 pools but grub finds none of the labels. grub.cfg is loading as
>default:
>insmod part_gpt
>insmod zfs
>insmod ufs
>
>I also had to provide "insmod bsd" as default, because grub kept giving me a
>'cannot locate bsd.mod' error, it would then become stuck and was unable to
>perform any action.
>
>I am currently booting from a temporarily created UFS partition hosting only
>/boot.  /boot/grub is on a separate partition as well.

 Thanx, :)
        Juergen
12