http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

12

http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

O. Hartmann-4
This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.

http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

O.

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Garrett Cooper
On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Hartmann, O.
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
> It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Agreed. Things have changed quite a bit in the last decade.
-Garrett

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Chris Rees-11
On 27 August 2011 20:32, Garrett Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Hartmann, O.
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
>> It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.
>>
>> http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html
>
> Agreed. Things have changed quite a bit in the last decade.

It reads rather FUD-like too.

Chris

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Sunday, August 28, 2011 a las 07:27:49PM +0100, Chris Rees escribió:

> On 27 August 2011 20:32, Garrett Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 12:13 PM, Hartmann, O.
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
> >> It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.
> >>
> >> http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html
> >
> > Agreed. Things have changed quite a bit in the last decade.
>
> It reads rather FUD-like too.

It's a pitty that the comments until now are only general like "full of
vintage stuff", "agreed", "rather FUD", but without concrete critics or
proposals of changes of wrong data.

        matthias
--
Matthias Apitz
t +49-89-61308 351 - f +49-89-61308 399 - m +49-170-4527211

On 28 August 2011 19:47, Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El día Sunday, August 28, 2011 a las 07:27:49PM +0100, Chris Rees escribió:
>
>> On 27 August 2011 20:32, Garrett Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Agreed. Things have changed quite a bit in the last decade.
>>
>> It reads rather FUD-like too.
>
> It's a pitty that the comments until now are only general like "full of
> vintage stuff", "agreed", "rather FUD", but without concrete critics or
> proposals of changes of wrong data.

No, it's just hopelessly out of date and needs removal/total
rewriting. I find it embarassing to have it there to be honest with
its current tone.

Chris

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> El día Sunday, August 28, 2011 a las 07:27:49PM +0100, Chris Rees escribió:
>
>> On 27 August 2011 20:32, Garrett Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Agreed. Things have changed quite a bit in the last decade.
>>
>> It reads rather FUD-like too.
>
> It's a pitty that the comments until now are only general like "full of
> vintage stuff", "agreed", "rather FUD", but without concrete critics or
> proposals of changes of wrong data.

Ok then:

1. It's out of date (the obvious). This comes down to some of the
information being completely incorrect as far as featuresets, and just
looks embarrassing in other respects because it's using Windows 2000
as a comparison (it's a 10 year old OS).
2. Broken links.
3. The smiley icons are very unprofessional.
4. There's a lot of wasted horizontal space on the webpage.
5. There's no data to back up some of the claimed observations (what
version of FreeBSD, Linux, Windows were used; what performance metrics
were obtained; how things were tuned; etc).
6. Some of the data (example: the SQL error text under "Performance"
in the Windows column) is in the wrong spot, s.t. it distracts
readers. If anything it belongs in the footnotes.
7. The breakdown is too terse. Execs and business types like looking
at bullet points; the technical folks like looking at things in more
gross detail.

Thanks,
-Garrett

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Garrett Cooper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Matthias Apitz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> It reads rather FUD-like too.
>>
>> It's a pitty that the comments until now are only general like "full of
>> vintage stuff", "agreed", "rather FUD", but without concrete critics or
>> proposals of changes of wrong data.
>
> Ok then:
>
> 1. It's out of date (the obvious). This comes down to some of the
> information being completely incorrect as far as featuresets, and just
> looks embarrassing in other respects because it's using Windows 2000
> as a comparison (it's a 10 year old OS).
> 2. Broken links.
> 3. The smiley icons are very unprofessional.
> 4. There's a lot of wasted horizontal space on the webpage.
> 5. There's no data to back up some of the claimed observations (what
> version of FreeBSD, Linux, Windows were used; what performance metrics
> were obtained; how things were tuned; etc).
> 6. Some of the data (example: the SQL error text under "Performance"
> in the Windows column) is in the wrong spot, s.t. it distracts
> readers. If anything it belongs in the footnotes.
> 7. The breakdown is too terse. Execs and business types like looking
> at bullet points; the technical folks like looking at things in more
> gross detail.

One more:

8. Text like "The Linux community intentionally makes it difficult for
hardware manufacturers to release binary-only drivers." is
confrontational and unprofessional. It's the GPL license more than the
community that forces vendors to opensource proprietary code because
that's the primary goal of the license -- to keep the source free and
open -- whereas BSD allows the developer to do whatever they want with
the source.

Thanks,
-Garrett

On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Justin Hibbits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 28, 2011, at 3:15 PM, Garrett Cooper wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Garrett Cooper <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:

>>> Ok then:
>>>
>>> 1. It's out of date (the obvious). This comes down to some of the
>>> information being completely incorrect as far as featuresets, and just
>>> looks embarrassing in other respects because it's using Windows 2000
>>> as a comparison (it's a 10 year old OS).
>>> 2. Broken links.
>>> 3. The smiley icons are very unprofessional.
>>> 4. There's a lot of wasted horizontal space on the webpage.
>>> 5. There's no data to back up some of the claimed observations (what
>>> version of FreeBSD, Linux, Windows were used; what performance metrics
>>> were obtained; how things were tuned; etc).
>>> 6. Some of the data (example: the SQL error text under "Performance"
>>> in the Windows column) is in the wrong spot, s.t. it distracts
>>> readers. If anything it belongs in the footnotes.
>>> 7. The breakdown is too terse. Execs and business types like looking
>>> at bullet points; the technical folks like looking at things in more
>>> gross detail.
>>
>> One more:
>>
>> 8. Text like "The Linux community intentionally makes it difficult for
>> hardware manufacturers to release binary-only drivers." is
>> confrontational and unprofessional. It's the GPL license more than the
>> community that forces vendors to opensource proprietary code because
>> that's the primary goal of the license -- to keep the source free and
>> open -- whereas BSD allows the developer to do whatever they want with
>> the source.
>
> Tiny nit on that:  The linux community has made it clear (see GregKH's many
> statements), that they will forever refuse to create a stable ABI, for the
> express purpose of forcing hardware manufacturers to submit to their will.

    Good point (forgot that essay) :). Seems like that would be a good
reference for that claim.
Thanks,
-Garrett

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Volodymyr Kostyrko
27.08.2011 22:13, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
> It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

I think this one would better look like list of major features with os
comparison, like:

= Networking =
  * IPv6: major support, best stack around.
  * SCTP: full kernel implementation, still no userland support (i.e.
ssh doesn't work over sctp by default yet).

= Data storage =
  * ZFS: full support, datasets, compression, dedup, other stuff. Linux
has LVM (?features...) and btrfs (?unstable.. ?features..), Windows has
dynamic disks since XP (?features).

= SMP =
  * (?something about comparing other shedulers with SCHED_ULE), (?some
rt stuff), (?some comparison with other interesting shedulers, like
DragonflyBSD and QNX).

  If that page would be updated at least monthly giving fair comparison
with other os'es it could serve a big pros list for preferring FreeBSD
over other systems.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Hans Petter Selasky
On Monday 29 August 2011 21:58:29 Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:

> 27.08.2011 22:13, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> > This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
> > It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html
>
> I think this one would better look like list of major features with os
> comparison, like:
>
> = Networking =
>   * IPv6: major support, best stack around.
>   * SCTP: full kernel implementation, still no userland support (i.e.
> ssh doesn't work over sctp by default yet).
>
> = Data storage =
>   * ZFS: full support, datasets, compression, dedup, other stuff. Linux
> has LVM (?features...) and btrfs (?unstable.. ?features..), Windows has
> dynamic disks since XP (?features).
>
> = SMP =
>   * (?something about comparing other shedulers with SCHED_ULE), (?some
> rt stuff), (?some comparison with other interesting shedulers, like
> DragonflyBSD and QNX).

And USB. I believe there are significant changes in the USB subsystems which
those who are making performance benchmarks completely fail to mention.

--HPS

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Bruce Cran
On 29/08/2011 20:58, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
> = SMP =
>  * (?something about comparing other shedulers with SCHED_ULE), (?some
> rt stuff), (?some comparison with other interesting shedulers, like
> DragonflyBSD and QNX).

 From a recent post to -questions:

"Alas, during a recent kernel build, I used the -j2 command line option
in "make" and watched as the scheduler repeatedly assigned two instances
of cc (the most CPU-intensive program) to the same core."

I'm not sure this is something we're really better at, unfortunately: I
know I've watched Windows really grok multi-socket, multi-core
HyperThreaded systems and prefer real cores on the same NUMA node when
running a multi-threaded application, whereas it seems FreeBSD struggles
sometimes.

--
Bruce Cran

On 08/30/11 09:29, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> On Monday 29 August 2011 21:58:29 Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
>> 27.08.2011 22:13, Hartmann, O. wrote:
>>> This website should be brushed up or taken offline!
>>> It seems full of vintage stuff from glory days.
>>>
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html
>> I think this one would better look like list of major features with os
>> comparison, like:
>>
>> = Networking =
>>    * IPv6: major support, best stack around.
>>    * SCTP: full kernel implementation, still no userland support (i.e.
>> ssh doesn't work over sctp by default yet).
>>
>> = Data storage =
>>    * ZFS: full support, datasets, compression, dedup, other stuff. Linux
>> has LVM (?features...) and btrfs (?unstable.. ?features..), Windows has
>> dynamic disks since XP (?features).
>>
>> = SMP =
>>    * (?something about comparing other shedulers with SCHED_ULE), (?some
>> rt stuff), (?some comparison with other interesting shedulers, like
>> DragonflyBSD and QNX).
>>
> And USB. I believe there are significant changes in the USB subsystems which
> those who are making performance benchmarks completely fail to mention.
>
> --HPS

What's about DTrace?

= Development/System Profiling =
  * DTrace: Some notes of the Kernel Gurus what this could mean for
performance profiling and development

= Licensing Model =
  * Some striking comments on the advantage for companies or interested
people of the BSD-like licensing model over the GPLv3 on which Linux is
based now and which has serious implications for those who wants to
develop and sell software developed on/with GNU stuff. it would be very
honest, if we do not only emphasize only the pros. BSD came from the
academic environment, that was where I met it the first time and I
appreciated the way things were developed and 'sloppyness' was a nogo.
So we should keep it up and a serious and honest set of contraru points
for all compared OS should be appreciable.

Does the VM of FreeBSD still have advantges (measurable) over Linux?

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Sergey Kandaurov
On 30 August 2011 13:13, Hartmann, O. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 08/30/11 09:29, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> I think this one would better look like list of major features with os
>>> comparison, like:
>>>
>>> = Networking =
>>>   * IPv6: major support, best stack around.
>>>   * SCTP: full kernel implementation, still no userland support (i.e.
>>> ssh doesn't work over sctp by default yet).
>>>
>>> = Data storage =
>>>   * ZFS: full support, datasets, compression, dedup, other stuff. Linux
>>> has LVM (?features...) and btrfs (?unstable.. ?features..), Windows has
>>> dynamic disks since XP (?features).
>>>
>>> = SMP =
>>>   * (?something about comparing other shedulers with SCHED_ULE), (?some
>>> rt stuff), (?some comparison with other interesting shedulers, like
>>> DragonflyBSD and QNX).
>>>
>> And USB. I believe there are significant changes in the USB subsystems
>> which
>> those who are making performance benchmarks completely fail to mention.
>>
>> --HPS
>
> What's about DTrace?
>
> = Development/System Profiling =
>  * DTrace: Some notes of the Kernel Gurus what this could mean for
> performance profiling and development
>
> = Licensing Model =
>  * Some striking comments on the advantage for companies or interested
> people of the BSD-like licensing model over the GPLv3 on which Linux is
> based now and which has serious implications for those who wants to develop
> and sell software developed on/with GNU stuff. it would be very honest, if
> we do not only emphasize only the pros. BSD came from the academic
> environment, that was where I met it the first time and I appreciated the
> way things were developed and 'sloppyness' was a nogo. So we should keep it
> up and a serious and honest set of contraru points for all compared OS
> should be appreciable.
>

> Does the VM of FreeBSD still have advantges (measurable) over Linux?

[Taking random email.]

I think we could merge the $subj web page with this one (which is
more actual, as of 7.0): http://www.freebsd.org/features.html

--
wbr,
pluknet

On 08/30/11 11:30, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> On 08/29/2011 10:58 PM, Volodymyr Kostyrko wrote:
>>   If that page would be updated at least monthly giving fair comparison
>> with other os'es it could serve a big pros list for preferring FreeBSD
>> over other systems.
>
> I dont think a monthly update is the good solution.
> A per release update is better, as far as releases bring a new set
> that could be compared.
>
> Then, a deep knwoledge of the other OSes is required in order to keep
> credit. I think it's a huge amount of work, that should be assigned to
> the project itself.
>
> IMHO, Let's delegate this task to Wikipedia or StackOverflow...

We havn't started updating the old one and now we start thingking about
management and scheduling?
I would be happy if such a page would see an update in shorter terms
like 11 years ...

Oliver

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Paul Ambrose
I do not believe the current status of DTrace is appropriate for promoting

1. DTrace is an experimental function  or Semi-finished products. The kernel
dtrace support is ok, but the userland support is far from completion(at
least the pid  provider has many bugs)

2  the FreeBSD implementation is different from Solaris/Mac OS X. The
DTraceToolkit, which has many amazing feature, can not 100% works on
FreeBSD, and there is no doc to identify the difference.

3 There is a missing feature list about DTrace, but no schedule list about
when to fix it.

2011/8/30 Sergey Kandaurov <[hidden email]>

> On 30 August 2011 13:13, Hartmann, O. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> And USB. I believe there are significant changes in the USB subsystems
> >> which
> >> those who are making performance benchmarks completely fail to mention.
> >>
> >> --HPS
> [hidden email]"
> >
> > What's about DTrace?
> >
> > = Development/System Profiling =
> >  * DTrace: Some notes of the Kernel Gurus what this could mean for
> > performance profiling and development
> >
> > = Licensing Model =
> >  * Some striking comments on the advantage for companies or interested
> > people of the BSD-like licensing model over the GPLv3 on which Linux is
> > based now and which has serious implications for those who wants to
> develop
> > and sell software developed on/with GNU stuff. it would be very honest,
> if
> > we do not only emphasize only the pros. BSD came from the academic
> > environment, that was where I met it the first time and I appreciated the
> > way things were developed and 'sloppyness' was a nogo. So we should keep
> it
> > up and a serious and honest set of contraru points for all compared OS
> > should be appreciable.
> >

> > Does the VM of FreeBSD still have advantges (measurable) over Linux?
>
> [Taking random email.]
>
> I think we could merge the $subj web page with this one (which is
> more actual, as of 7.0): http://www.freebsd.org/features.html
>
> --
> wbr,
> pluknet

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

O. Hartmann-4
Sorry,
my fault, my stupid. One bonus less on FreeBSD :-(

On 08/30/11 15:45, Paul Ambrose wrote:

> I do not believe the current status of DTrace is appropriate for promoting
>
> 1. DTrace is an experimental function  or Semi-finished products. The kernel
> dtrace support is ok, but the userland support is far from completion(at
> least the pid  provider has many bugs)
>
> 2  the FreeBSD implementation is different from Solaris/Mac OS X. The
> DTraceToolkit, which has many amazing feature, can not 100% works on
> FreeBSD, and there is no doc to identify the difference.
>
> 3 There is a missing feature list about DTrace, but no schedule list about
> when to fix it.
>
> 2011/8/30 Sergey Kandaurov<[hidden email]>

>> [hidden email]"
>>> What's about DTrace?
>>>
>>> = Development/System Profiling =
>>>   * DTrace: Some notes of the Kernel Gurus what this could mean for
>>> performance profiling and development
>>>
>>> = Licensing Model =
>>>   * Some striking comments on the advantage for companies or interested
>>> people of the BSD-like licensing model over the GPLv3 on which Linux is
>>> based now and which has serious implications for those who wants to
>> develop
>>> and sell software developed on/with GNU stuff. it would be very honest,
>> if
>>> we do not only emphasize only the pros. BSD came from the academic
>>> environment, that was where I met it the first time and I appreciated the
>>> way things were developed and 'sloppyness' was a nogo. So we should keep
>> it
>>> up and a serious and honest set of contraru points for all compared OS
>>> should be appreciable.
>>>

>>> Does the VM of FreeBSD still have advantges (measurable) over Linux?
>> [Taking random email.]
>>
>> I think we could merge the $subj web page with this one (which is
>> more actual, as of 7.0): http://www.freebsd.org/features.html
>>
>> --
>> wbr,
>> pluknet

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Andriy Gapon
on 30/08/2011 16:45 Paul Ambrose said the following:

> I do not believe the current status of DTrace is appropriate for promoting
>
> 1. DTrace is an experimental function  or Semi-finished products. The kernel
> dtrace support is ok, but the userland support is far from completion(at
> least the pid  provider has many bugs)
>
> 2  the FreeBSD implementation is different from Solaris/Mac OS X. The
> DTraceToolkit, which has many amazing feature, can not 100% works on
> FreeBSD, and there is no doc to identify the difference.
>
> 3 There is a missing feature list about DTrace, but no schedule list about
> when to fix it.

4. There is a missing developer/maintainer for DTrace on FreeBSD.

Nevertheless the kernel DTrace is quite usable and useful for kernel debugging.

--
Andriy Gapon

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 09:45:09PM +0800, Paul Ambrose wrote:
> 3 There is a missing feature list about DTrace, but no schedule list about
> when to fix it.

We just need someone who wants to spend a lot of time working on it.

Without that, there is no point in putting up a schedule.

mcl

on 30/08/2011 18:39 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> 4. There is a missing developer/maintainer for DTrace on FreeBSD.

I probably should clarify this point: it doesn't have to be *the* maintainer, a
collective maintainer is also perfect.  Thus, contributions are very welcome.

> Nevertheless the kernel DTrace is quite usable and useful for kernel debugging.

--
Andriy Gapon

Re: http://www.freebsd.org/marketing/os-comparison.html

Dieter BSD
> I would be happy if such a page would see an update in shorter terms
> like 11 years ...

Fixing some ancient PRs would be nice also. (fixed, not just closed)
12