Quantcast

i386 kernel hangs, seemingly on em0 attachment.

i386 kernel hangs, seemingly on em0 attachment.

Konstantin Belousov
Hi,
I have an issue with Core-i5 system and onboard em adapter on the
Intel DH55HC Desktop Board.

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.1.9> port 0xf040-0xf05f mem 0xfe500000-0xfe51ffff,0xfe528000-0xfe528fff irq 20 at device 25.0 on pci0
em0: attempting to allocate 1 MSI vectors (1 supported)
msi: routing MSI IRQ 256 to local APIC 0 vector 49
em0: using IRQ 256 for MSI
em0: Using an MSI interrupt

The machine with i386 kernel hangs with the last lines of the
kernel output listed above. amd64 version boots flawless. Interesting
detail is that even reset starts to act when the machine hangs, pressing
the button causes a reset only after 10-20 seconds.

Removing if_em from the list of loaded modules allows kernel to
finish loading and gives me the "/" selection dialog, which is unuseful
since machine is pxebooted.

em0 is the onboard adapter, also there is em1 in the pci slot.

em0@pci0:0:25:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00378086 chip=0x10f08086 rev=0x06 hdr=0x00
em1@pci0:1:2:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x13768086 chip=0x107c8086 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00

System is today HEAD. if_em is loaded as module. pxeboot.

Any help ?

Re: i386 kernel hangs, seemingly on em0 attachment.

mdtancsa
On 3/2/2011 9:38 AM, Kostik Belousov wrote:

> Hi,
> I have an issue with Core-i5 system and onboard em adapter on the
> Intel DH55HC Desktop Board.
>
> em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 7.1.9> port 0xf040-0xf05f mem 0xfe500000-0xfe51ffff,0xfe528000-0xfe528fff irq 20 at device 25.0 on pci0
> em0: attempting to allocate 1 MSI vectors (1 supported)
> msi: routing MSI IRQ 256 to local APIC 0 vector 49
> em0: using IRQ 256 for MSI
> em0: Using an MSI interrupt
>
> The machine with i386 kernel hangs with the last lines of the
> kernel output listed above. amd64 version boots flawless. Interesting
> detail is that even reset starts to act when the machine hangs, pressing
> the button causes a reset only after 10-20 seconds.
>
> Removing if_em from the list of loaded modules allows kernel to
> finish loading and gives me the "/" selection dialog, which is unuseful
> since machine is pxebooted.
>
> em0 is the onboard adapter, also there is em1 in the pci slot.
>
> em0@pci0:0:25:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x00378086 chip=0x10f08086 rev=0x06 hdr=0x00
> em1@pci0:1:2:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x13768086 chip=0x107c8086 rev=0x05 hdr=0x00
>
> System is today HEAD. if_em is loaded as module. pxeboot.
>
> Any help ?

This rings a bell. I saw a similar issue with the same desktop board.
If I compiled em into the kernel, it would netboot just fine. But as a
module, it would not for some reason.

        ---Mike