Quantcast

iMC SMBus controller driver

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

iMC SMBus controller driver

Ravi Pokala-2
Hi folks,

In recent years, Intel has put an SMBus controller on the CPU's integrated Memory Controller (iMC). Does anyone have a driver for that? Even if it's not something that you're willing to open up, just knowing that someone has done it would be nice.

(I'm specifically interested in Haswell/Broadwell Xeon, but I'd imagine the programming model is the same for the iMC/SMBus controller on all the recent CPUs.)

Thanks,

Ravi (rpokala@)


_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: iMC SMBus controller driver

Andriy Gapon
On 19/05/2017 00:22, Ravi Pokala wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> In recent years, Intel has put an SMBus controller on the CPU's integrated Memory Controller (iMC). Does anyone have a driver for that? Even if it's not something that you're willing to open up, just knowing that someone has done it would be nice.
>
> (I'm specifically interested in Haswell/Broadwell Xeon, but I'd imagine the programming model is the same for the iMC/SMBus controller on all the recent CPUs.)

Could ismt be what you are looking for?
--
Andriy Gapon
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: iMC SMBus controller driver

Ravi Pokala-2
-----Original Message-----

> From: Andriy Gapon <[hidden email]>
> Date: 2017-05-19, Friday at 02:21
> To: Ravi Pokala <[hidden email]>, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: iMC SMBus controller driver
>
> On 19/05/2017 00:22, Ravi Pokala wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> In recent years, Intel has put an SMBus controller on the CPU's integrated Memory Controller (iMC). Does anyone have a driver for that? Even if it's not something that you're willing to open up, just knowing that someone has done it would be nice.
>>
>> (I'm specifically interested in Haswell/Broadwell Xeon, but I'd imagine the programming model is the same for the iMC/SMBus controller on all the recent CPUs.)
>
> Could ismt be what you are looking for?

Yes and no. ismt(4) is a non-ichsmb SMBus controller, but the driver only supports Atom S1200 (Briarwood) and Atom C2000 (Avoton / Rangeley) SoCs. But maybe it just needs to have newer devices added to the list...?

As it happens, I have the datasheet for the Rangeley at my fingertips. I searched for some of the magic numbers from ismt(4), and found where the "SMT" SMBus controller (PCI 0:13:0) is documented. I also did some digging on Intel's site, and found Volume 2 of the Broadwell Xeon datasheet, where the iMC (PCI 0:19:0 and 0:22:0) is documented. Unfortunately, Rangeley's SMT SMBus controller and Broadwell's iMC's SMBus controller bear no resemblance to each other.

So, no, ismt(4) is not the droid ^W driver I'm looking for. :-/

Thanks,

Ravi (rpokala@)

> --
> Andriy Gapon



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: iMC SMBus controller driver

Andriy Gapon
On 19/05/2017 18:00, Ravi Pokala wrote:
> Yes and no. ismt(4) is a non-ichsmb SMBus controller, but the driver only supports Atom S1200 (Briarwood) and Atom C2000 (Avoton / Rangeley) SoCs. But maybe it just needs to have newer devices added to the list...?
>
> As it happens, I have the datasheet for the Rangeley at my fingertips. I searched for some of the magic numbers from ismt(4), and found where the "SMT" SMBus controller (PCI 0:13:0) is documented. I also did some digging on Intel's site, and found Volume 2 of the Broadwell Xeon datasheet, where the iMC (PCI 0:19:0 and 0:22:0) is documented. Unfortunately, Rangeley's SMT SMBus controller and Broadwell's iMC's SMBus controller bear no resemblance to each other.
>
> So, no, ismt(4) is not the droid ^W driver I'm looking for. :-/

Oh, I see now.  It's quite a specialized controller for talking to things on
DIMMs.  The interface is quite different from any other controller, but it is
very simple, because of the limited functionality it provides.  So, it shouldn't
be hard to write a driver for it.

I found this submission for a Linux driver, but not sure if it was committed:
http://lm-sensors.lm-sensors.narkive.com/Xy87Q8tj/patch-v3-0-4-imc-smbus-tsod-hwmon-devices-and-eeprom-modalias

--
Andriy Gapon
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-hackers
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Loading...