isdntrace - getting old output format back?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
Hello,

The output format of isdntrace have cahnged in recent versions of
ISND4BSD[1]. Is thare an easy way to get the old output format back?
Probably not, but I thought it best to check first.
I know about the isdndecode command, but it also has the new output format.

I am using callid[2] to do call logging of my phone line, using a
machine running FreeBSD 5.4-prerelease, and a HFC-based ISDN card
(thus the need for ISDN4BSD).
The machine[3] used is an old Compaq DeskPro with a PII cpu @ 266 MHz,
96 MB RAM and a 8 GB disk.callid relies on the old output format of
isdntrace to detect called and calling numbers.
Since FreeBSD 5.4 is unsupported, started to upgrade the machine.
First I upgraded to latest 5.5-stable, which required a new version of
ISDN4BSD, I found that v 1.5.10 worked. But the I hit the new output
format of isdntrace (and isdndecode), which makes callid
non-functional.

References:
1) ISND4BSD - http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/
2) callid - http://www.freshports.org/misc/callid/
3) machine used - http://tingox.googlepages.com/dp686t3
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Hans Petter Selasky
On Sunday 22 June 2008, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> Hello,
>
> The output format of isdntrace have cahnged in recent versions of
> ISND4BSD[1]. Is thare an easy way to get the old output format back?
> Probably not, but I thought it best to check first.
> I know about the isdndecode command, but it also has the new output format.
>
> I am using callid[2] to do call logging of my phone line, using a
> machine running FreeBSD 5.4-prerelease, and a HFC-based ISDN card
> (thus the need for ISDN4BSD).
> The machine[3] used is an old Compaq DeskPro with a PII cpu @ 266 MHz,
> 96 MB RAM and a 8 GB disk.callid relies on the old output format of
> isdntrace to detect called and calling numbers.
> Since FreeBSD 5.4 is unsupported, started to upgrade the machine.
> First I upgraded to latest 5.5-stable, which required a new version of
> ISDN4BSD, I found that v 1.5.10 worked. But the I hit the new output
> format of isdntrace (and isdndecode), which makes callid
> non-functional.
>
> References:
> 1) ISND4BSD - http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/
> 2) callid - http://www.freshports.org/misc/callid/
> 3) machine used - http://tingox.googlepages.com/dp686t3

Have you tried isdndecode ?

--HPS
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Hans Petter Selasky
Hi again,

I think this issue has been fixed, but you need to use to stuff from SVN. The
1.5.10 package is too old! And you need to use FreeBSD 6+ .

--HPS

> >
> > References:
> > 1) ISND4BSD - http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/
> > 2) callid - http://www.freshports.org/misc/callid/
> > 3) machine used - http://tingox.googlepages.com/dp686t3
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
In reply to this post by Hans Petter Selasky
Hi,

> Have you tried isdndecode ?

Yes, I have. However, I couldn't find a way to make it produce the old
output fromat.

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
In reply to this post by Hans Petter Selasky
Hello again,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I think this issue has been fixed, but you need to use to stuff from SVN. The
> 1.5.10 package is too old! And you need to use FreeBSD 6+ .

Ok, I'll try to upgrade the old machine once more. This time from 5.5 -> 6.3.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
In reply to this post by Hans Petter Selasky
Hi,

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I think this issue has been fixed, but you need to use to stuff from SVN. The
> 1.5.10 package is too old! And you need to use FreeBSD 6+ .

Ok, I finally got the old machine[1] upgraded to FreeBSD 6.3-stable,
and installed the latest ISDN4BSD from svn (revision 755).
Both isdntrace and isdndecode still uses the new output format
(text-formatted hexdump with annotations). I tried all switches /
options on isdndecode but couldn't get it to output the old text
format. Is there something I have overlooked?

To be precise, the call-logd script expects strings like the following
(it greps for them):
called party number: 99999999
calling party number: 99999999

where '99999999' will be the actual number calling / called.

Is it possible to get either isdntrace or isdndecode to output that format?
References:
1) machine used: http://tingox.googlepages.com/dp686t3_freebsd
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Hans Petter Selasky
On Thursday 26 June 2008, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> > Hi again,
> >
> > I think this issue has been fixed, but you need to use to stuff from SVN.
> > The 1.5.10 package is too old! And you need to use FreeBSD 6+ .
>
> Ok, I finally got the old machine[1] upgraded to FreeBSD 6.3-stable,
> and installed the latest ISDN4BSD from svn (revision 755).
> Both isdntrace and isdndecode still uses the new output format
> (text-formatted hexdump with annotations). I tried all switches /
> options on isdndecode but couldn't get it to output the old text
> format. Is there something I have overlooked?
>
> To be precise, the call-logd script expects strings like the following
> (it greps for them):
> called party number: 99999999
> calling party number: 99999999
>
> where '99999999' will be the actual number calling / called.
>
> Is it possible to get either isdntrace or isdndecode to output that format?
> References:
> 1) machine used: http://tingox.googlepages.com/dp686t3_freebsd

Hi Torfinn,

I think I patched "isdnd" some time back. The logfiles from "isdnd" should
have that format.

BTW: It is not very difficult to write a small CAPI 2.0 application that
listens for calls and then prints them out in any format you like. I can make
such an application in no time. How about "capimonitor" ?

--HPS

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I patched "isdnd" some time back. The logfiles from "isdnd" should
> have that format.

OK, so the answer to my question is "no, you can't get the old output
format back".
Well, I'll have to change the call-logd script then.

> BTW: It is not very difficult to write a small CAPI 2.0 application that
> listens for calls and then prints them out in any format you like. I can make
> such an application in no time. How about "capimonitor" ?

So I'll end up with isdnd + capimonitor instead of isdnd + isdntrace?
As long as it doesn't add  complexity to the setup, I would be happy
to have capimontor. And grateful.

I will have to chenge the call-logd script anyway.

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

vwe-2
On 06/27/08 00:30, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I think I patched "isdnd" some time back. The logfiles from "isdnd" should
>> have that format.
>
> OK, so the answer to my question is "no, you can't get the old output
> format back".
> Well, I'll have to change the call-logd script then.
>
>> BTW: It is not very difficult to write a small CAPI 2.0 application that
>> listens for calls and then prints them out in any format you like. I can make
>> such an application in no time. How about "capimonitor" ?
>
> So I'll end up with isdnd + capimonitor instead of isdnd + isdntrace?
> As long as it doesn't add  complexity to the setup, I would be happy
> to have capimontor. And grateful.
>
> I will have to chenge the call-logd script anyway.
>

Torfinn,

so, you're upgrading your OS, changing the i4b subsystem and doing a lot
of other stuff to just not change a script? ;)

Anyway, I've never tried HPS' isdn4bsd but if isdnd is nearly
compatible, you may want to try to use the regexpr/regprog functionality
and call your script (or a wrapper for it) from there.

Volker

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
Hi

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Volker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> so, you're upgrading your OS, changing the i4b subsystem and doing a lot
> of other stuff to just not change a script? ;)

It may look like that now, but it was sort of the other way around. :-)

This machine was running 5.3 / 5.4-prerelease. Once that "branch" was
EOL'ed (ok, some time after in fact) it got harder to support the
ports on the machine, as the ports infrastructure remove support for
unsupported branches (which is very wise, I might add).
So I was really looking to upgrade the os (and the ports) on the machine anyway.
HPS' ISDN4BSD stack has always been needed to support  my isdn card.
I was just trying to do as little as I could by just upgrading to
5.5-stable. Had I known that I would get hit by these changes, I would
just have backed up the database and installed 6.3-stable directly, it
would have saved some time.
The machine is running callid[1] (which is where the call-logd script
comes from) and a few other ports.

> Anyway, I've never tried HPS' isdn4bsd but if isdnd is nearly
> compatible, you may want to try to use the regexpr/regprog functionality
> and call your script (or a wrapper for it) from there.

calling the script isn't the problem. call-logd calls isdntrace and
reads the output from it. The problem is that somewjere along the
development path for HPS' isdn4bsd stack, the output format of
isndtrace changed from a pure text-based output (which is easily
parsed by a program) to a text formatted "hexdump with annotations"
format which is much harder to parse.

Anyway, now the machine is upgraded to 6.3-stable and HPS has offered
to "fix" the isdn4bsd stack - we'll see how it goes. It seems like I
will be submitting a PR for a change to the callid port in the near
future.

References:
1) callid - http://www.freshports.org/misc/callid/

--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
In reply to this post by Hans Petter Selasky
Hi all,

Tonight I had some tie to work on this. Here is a smal status update.

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:19 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think I patched "isdnd" some time back. The logfiles from "isdnd" should
> have that format.

This statement got me thinking.

> BTW: It is not very difficult to write a small CAPI 2.0 application that
> listens for calls and then prints them out in any format you like. I can make
> such an application in no time. How about "capimonitor" ?

I changed the call-logd script to use isdnmonitor instead of
isdntrace. See the attached file.I changed /etc/isdn/isdnd.rc to
enable isdnmonitor, and tested. This is my first attempt with
isdnmonitor, and it is not working correctly - it doesn't log all
calls, just some of them.
If I check the logfile of isdnd (/var/log/debug.log), all calls are
logged there.
Any hints on what might be wrong?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

call-logd (3K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Torfinn Ingolfsen-4
In case the attachment didn't make it through, you can find it here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-isdn/attachments/20080701/a8dea144/call-logd.obj
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: isdntrace - getting old output format back?

Hans Petter Selasky
On Wednesday 02 July 2008, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> In case the attachment didn't make it through, you can find it here:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-isdn/attachments/20080701/a8dea1
>44/call-logd.obj

Hi,

I just committed a small utility to dump all incoming calls:

svn up

And then goto:

trunk/i4b/src/usr.sbin/i4b/capimonitor

There you type "make depend all install"

If you don't want to run "capimonitor" like root you can delegate CAPI rights
to a non-root user. See "man isdnconfig" and "delegate" parameter.

--HPS
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-isdn
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"