ix SR-IOV working

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ix SR-IOV working

pete wright
hello,

i have a newly provisioned VPS system from Vultr which comes stock with
a 10Gbe ix interface:

ix0@pci0:1:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x082315d9 chip=0x15578086 rev=0x01
hdr=0x00
     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
     device     = '82599 10 Gigabit Network Connection'
     class      = network
     subclass   = ethernet


it is currently running 11-STABLE but was curious if there are any
reports of people successfully running SR-IOV under CURRENT with this
hardware and driver?  On both 11.2-RELEASE and 11-STABLE, after running
iovctl to bring up the interface results in the NIC hanging - for
example like so:

$ sudo iovctl -C -f /etc/iovctl.conf
iovctl: Failed to configure SR-IOV: No space left on device

<hang>

so if its working on CURRENT i'll go through the upgrade process, but if
no one is testing this I'll forgo SR-IOV for now.


thanks!

-pete




--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]
@nomadlogicLA

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ix SR-IOV working

Jan Bramkamp-2
On 10.08.18 04:38, Pete Wright wrote:

> hello,
>
> i have a newly provisioned VPS system from Vultr which comes stock with
> a 10Gbe ix interface:
>
> ix0@pci0:1:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x082315d9 chip=0x15578086 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00
>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>     device     = '82599 10 Gigabit Network Connection'
>     class      = network
>     subclass   = ethernet
>
>
> it is currently running 11-STABLE but was curious if there are any
> reports of people successfully running SR-IOV under CURRENT with this
> hardware and driver?  On both 11.2-RELEASE and 11-STABLE, after running
> iovctl to bring up the interface results in the NIC hanging - for
> example like so:
>
> $ sudo iovctl -C -f /etc/iovctl.conf
> iovctl: Failed to configure SR-IOV: No space left on device
>
> <hang>

I got the same error from a X540-AT2, but it didn't hang afterward. The
NIC physical function worked just fine, but I found no way to create
virtual functions. In the end i grabbed two dual port 1Gb/s cards and
passed those to bhyve.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ix SR-IOV working

Ryan Stone-2
In reply to this post by pete wright
How many VFs are you trying to create?  Getting ENOSPC either
indicates that you tried to allocate more VFs than the hardware
supports, or the system could not allocate enough MMIO space for the
VFs.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 10:41 PM Pete Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> hello,
>
> i have a newly provisioned VPS system from Vultr which comes stock with
> a 10Gbe ix interface:
>
> ix0@pci0:1:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x082315d9 chip=0x15578086 rev=0x01
> hdr=0x00
>      vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>      device     = '82599 10 Gigabit Network Connection'
>      class      = network
>      subclass   = ethernet
>
>
> it is currently running 11-STABLE but was curious if there are any
> reports of people successfully running SR-IOV under CURRENT with this
> hardware and driver?  On both 11.2-RELEASE and 11-STABLE, after running
> iovctl to bring up the interface results in the NIC hanging - for
> example like so:
>
> $ sudo iovctl -C -f /etc/iovctl.conf
> iovctl: Failed to configure SR-IOV: No space left on device
>
> <hang>
>
> so if its working on CURRENT i'll go through the upgrade process, but if
> no one is testing this I'll forgo SR-IOV for now.
>
>
> thanks!
>
> -pete
>
>
>
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> [hidden email]
> @nomadlogicLA
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ix SR-IOV working

pete wright


On 8/10/18 8:30 AM, Ryan Stone wrote:
> How many VFs are you trying to create?  Getting ENOSPC either
> indicates that you tried to allocate more VFs than the hardware
> supports, or the system could not allocate enough MMIO space for the
> VFs.

Hi Ryan,
I was attempting to create a single VF.  here's my iovct.conf:

PF {
     num_vfs: 1;
     device : "ix0";
}

DEFAULT {
     passthrough : true;
}

my goal is to setup several bhyve instances on this server, and allocate
one VF per instance.  for now i'm attempting to create a single VF for
testing purposes.

Cheers!
-pete

--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]
@nomadlogicLA

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ix SR-IOV working

Ultima-2
Hello,

This is probably a driver issue. The only way I could get sr-iov
working with the ix driver is compiling the driver provided
by Intel and loading it before boot. [1] for more details and [2]
for the driver. Have not tested the latest version and only
tested this on CURRENT. Also, there were some options that
needed to be changed before compiling to enable sr-iov, it's
pretty straightforward though if I recall correctly.


[1] https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=211062
[2]
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/14688/Intel-Network-Adapters-Driver-for-PCIe-10-Gigabit-Network-Connections-Under-FreeBSD

Best regards,
Richard Gallamore

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 9:19 AM, Pete Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> On 8/10/18 8:30 AM, Ryan Stone wrote:
>
>> How many VFs are you trying to create?  Getting ENOSPC either
>> indicates that you tried to allocate more VFs than the hardware
>> supports, or the system could not allocate enough MMIO space for the
>> VFs.
>>
>
> Hi Ryan,
> I was attempting to create a single VF.  here's my iovct.conf:
>
> PF {
>     num_vfs: 1;
>     device : "ix0";
> }
>
> DEFAULT {
>     passthrough : true;
> }
>
> my goal is to setup several bhyve instances on this server, and allocate
> one VF per instance.  for now i'm attempting to create a single VF for
> testing purposes.
>
> Cheers!
>
> -pete
>
> --
> Pete Wright
> [hidden email]
> @nomadlogicLA
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ix SR-IOV working

pete wright

On 8/10/18 9:52 AM, Ultima wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is probably a driver issue. The only way I could get sr-iov
> working with the ix driver is compiling the driver provided
> by Intel and loading it before boot. [1] for more details and [2]
> for the driver. Have not tested the latest version and only
> tested this on CURRENT. Also, there were some options that
> needed to be changed before compiling to enable sr-iov, it's
> pretty straightforward though if I recall correctly.
>

awesome, thanks!  i had downloaded the latest version from Intel and was
thinking of giving it a spin, this seems to confirm this would worth my
time testing out.  thanks for the links for reference!


-pete


--
Pete Wright
[hidden email]
@nomadlogicLA

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"