Quantcast

jmalloc in shared memory

Slawa Olhovchenkov
How I can use jmalloc in shared memory?

I.e. parent process do mmap w/ MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED, create jmalloc
"instance" in this memory and use jmalloc routines for memory management
in this region.

Re: jmalloc in shared memory

Alexander Tarasikov
Hi Slawa,
I'm not sure jemalloc is supposed to be used this way, but you should
be able to achieve this functionality in two ways:
1. Editing jemalloc's allocator ("src/pages.c") to allocate in your
region instead of calling mmap()
2. Hook mmap() and brk(), sbrk() with LD_PRELOAD and provide
implementations that will allocate in the shared memory

Hope this helps.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How I can use jmalloc in shared memory?
>
> I.e. parent process do mmap w/ MAP_ANON|MAP_SHARED, create jmalloc
> "instance" in this memory and use jmalloc routines for memory management
> in this region.

Regards, Alexander

Re: jmalloc in shared memory

Slawa Olhovchenkov
On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 03:27:31PM +0200, Alexander Tarasikov wrote:

> Hi Slawa,
> I'm not sure jemalloc is supposed to be used this way, but you should
> be able to achieve this functionality in two ways:
> 1. Editing jemalloc's allocator ("src/pages.c") to allocate in your
> region instead of calling mmap()
> 2. Hook mmap() and brk(), sbrk() with LD_PRELOAD and provide
> implementations that will allocate in the shared memory
>
> Hope this helps.

I am don't need to redirect ALL allocations in the shared memory.
I am need only do it for selected structures.
For example, I am need create red-black tree and update it (in shared
memory). For this, I am need create own memory management in this
region or use existing memory management tool (for allocate,
dealloacate and tracks chunks) worked for dedicated segment only.