kernel land ppp makes mage fault

Anatoli Marinov
Hi,
I try to use pptp (pptpclient) and ppp connection to my ISP with FreeBSD
6-STABLE.
If I compile pptp from ports after installation it works in user land and
consume 50-60% from my CPU time (for 200 KB/sec).
Before 6-STABLE with 6-TESTx and RCx my pptp, compiled to use kernel level ppp
works great, but with 6-STABLE after 5 to 10 minutes I have page fault and
reboot.
pptpclient from ports by default compiles to work with user land ppp but with
simple changes in Makefile I compile it to work with kernel level ppp.

Would you help me how can I use pptp with kernel level ppp and FreeBSD
6-STABLE?

Promise TX4300 boot problems

Lawrence Farr-2
I've stuck a Promise TX4300 controller in to replace
the marvell onboard SATA that I can't boot off on a
Supermicro server. If I set 2 discs up as Raid 0
or Raid 1 it's fine, But 4 discs as Raid 0+1 is detected,
installs without any problems, but hangs at the boot
loader with elf32_loadimage: read failed. I'm guesssing
the boot loader thinks it's a mirror, not a stripe and
fails to read past the first stripe on the disk?

Anyone come across this or have an idea?

Re: kernel land ppp makes mage fault

Gleb Smirnoff
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:38:16AM +0200, Anatoli Marinov wrote:
A> I try to use pptp (pptpclient) and ppp connection to my ISP with FreeBSD
A> 6-STABLE.
A> If I compile pptp from ports after installation it works in user land and
A> consume 50-60% from my CPU time (for 200 KB/sec).
A> Before 6-STABLE with 6-TESTx and RCx my pptp, compiled to use kernel level ppp
A> works great, but with 6-STABLE after 5 to 10 minutes I have page fault and
A> reboot.
A> pptpclient from ports by default compiles to work with user land ppp but with
A> simple changes in Makefile I compile it to work with kernel level ppp.
A>
A> Would you help me how can I use pptp with kernel level ppp and FreeBSD
A> 6-STABLE?

Use ports/net/mpd. It is a userland daemon, that configures in-kernel
PPP (including PPTP).

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE

Re: Promise TX4300 boot problems

Doug White-2
On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Lawrence Farr wrote:

> I've stuck a Promise TX4300 controller in to replace
> the marvell onboard SATA that I can't boot off on a
> Supermicro server. If I set 2 discs up as Raid 0
> or Raid 1 it's fine, But 4 discs as Raid 0+1 is detected,
> installs without any problems, but hangs at the boot
> loader with elf32_loadimage: read failed. I'm guesssing
> the boot loader thinks it's a mirror, not a stripe and
> fails to read past the first stripe on the disk?

If this is the case then its a bug in the controller firmware; loader is
just doing BIOS I/O calls. Check for a firmware update for your
controller.

--
Doug White                    |  FreeBSD: The Power to Serve
[hidden email]          |  www.FreeBSD.org

RE: Promise TX4300 boot problems

Lawrence Farr-2

> > I've stuck a Promise TX4300 controller in to replace
> > the marvell onboard SATA that I can't boot off on a
> > Supermicro server. If I set 2 discs up as Raid 0
> > or Raid 1 it's fine, But 4 discs as Raid 0+1 is detected,
> > installs without any problems, but hangs at the boot
> > loader with elf32_loadimage: read failed. I'm guesssing
> > the boot loader thinks it's a mirror, not a stripe and
> > fails to read past the first stripe on the disk?
>
> If this is the case then its a bug in the controller
> firmware; loader is
> just doing BIOS I/O calls. Check for a firmware update for your
> controller.

It's the latest version of the firmware. I'll go back to using
a mirror.