libreoffice 6.0.6 update

12

libreoffice 6.0.6 update

Li-Wen Hsu-3
It is announced earlier today and I did a quick test but it is not
that straight forward like the minor version updates before.  There
are some patch files cannot be applied cleanly.  Which might be very
easy to resolve, but I haven't had a chance to look into it and
probably cannot do it until the weekend of next week.

If anyone is interested in working on this, hope my WIP here helps:

https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsd-ports-libreoffice

Li-Wen

--
Li-Wen Hsu <[hidden email]>
https://lwhsu.org

libreoffice 6.1 update

Li-Wen Hsu-3
On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 12:10 AM Li-Wen Hsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is announced earlier today and I did a quick test but it is not
> that straight forward like the minor version updates before.  There
> are some patch files cannot be applied cleanly.  Which might be very
> easy to resolve, but I haven't had a chance to look into it and
> probably cannot do it until the weekend of next week.
>
> If anyone is interested in working on this, hope my WIP here helps:
>
> https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsd-ports-libreoffice

So 6.1 is out before we have 6.0.1 in the tree.

I just got lwhsu/freebsd-ports-libreoffice updated to 6.1 and it is
buildable in poudriere, haven't had a chance to test in my desktop
env.

There is a new dependency, textproc/libnumbertext, which is not added
yet: https://people.freebsd.org/~lwhsu/tmp/libnumbertext.shar

Please help test and fix.  Thanks.

Li-Wen

--
Li-Wen Hsu <[hidden email]>
https://lwhsu.org

[call for help] libreoffice 6.2 update

Li-Wen Hsu-3
Again, LibreOffice 6.2 will be announced soon.  I squeezed few hours
to get most the patches updated
( patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_share.hxx
 and patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_uno2cpp.cxx
still need more work)
in my working repository: https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsd-ports-libreoffice

There are also some updates to the dependencies: I added
textproc/libnumbertext, while for devel/liborcus and devel/mdds need
to use the versions in the WIP repository or they will break current
libreoffice in the ports tree.

LibreOffice 6.2 port still needs some (uncertain amount of) work to
get it build but I am afraid that I cannot spend too much time on it
in the following days.

So, if you happen to have time, please check the repository and help.
Thanks very much.

Best,
Li-Wen

Re: [call for help] libreoffice 6.2 update

Greg Veldman-2
On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 11:12:25AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> Again, LibreOffice 6.2 will be announced soon.  I squeezed few hours
> to get most the patches updated
> ( patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_share.hxx
>  and patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_uno2cpp.cxx
> still need more work)
> in my working repository: https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsd-ports-libreoffice

I took a look at this, and now have all patches applying cleanly.
However it appears some of these patches (or parts thereof) may
actually no longer be needed, as upstream changed the arguments
to some of the functions.  I'm trying to read/understand the
back story on some of these patches from the various commit logs
to be sure if it's safe to change them..

> There are also some updates to the dependencies: I added
> textproc/libnumbertext, while for devel/liborcus and devel/mdds need
> to use the versions in the WIP repository or they will break current
> libreoffice in the ports tree.

Yep, found that out.  I'm working to pull all of these in as well.

> LibreOffice 6.2 port still needs some (uncertain amount of) work to
> get it build but I am afraid that I cannot spend too much time on it
> in the following days.

While I'm at it, I'm also going to try and bump the port version
to 6.2.1.1, which was released just last week.

When I get a clean build, I'll push my changes back into your
GitHub repo.  If anyone's interested in seeing them sooner or
helping, let me know and I'll push to a new branch.  What I
have is still very much a WIP...

--
Greg Veldman

On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:42:18AM -0500, Greg Veldman wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 11:12:25AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> > Again, LibreOffice 6.2 will be announced soon.  I squeezed few hours
> > to get most the patches updated
> > ( patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_share.hxx
> >  and patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_uno2cpp.cxx
> > still need more work)
> > in my working repository: https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsd-ports-libreoffice
>
> I took a look at this, and now have all patches applying cleanly.
> However it appears some of these patches (or parts thereof) may
> actually no longer be needed, as upstream changed the arguments
> to some of the functions.  I'm trying to read/understand the
> back story on some of these patches from the various commit logs
> to be sure if it's safe to change them..

OK, so that was actually a lot easier than I thought.  Looks
like the two patches in question were introduced in r395799
to make LibreOffice build on systems with pre-C++-11 compilers
(specifically, FreeBSD 9.x).  As 9.x hasn't been officially
supported in over two years and the base C++ on 11.2 uses
C++-14, can I suggest that we just drop these patches rather
than trying to carry them forward every time LibreOffice gets
updated?

--
Greg Veldman

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 12:09 AM Greg Veldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 18, 2019 at 09:42:18AM -0500, Greg Veldman wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 11:12:25AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> > > Again, LibreOffice 6.2 will be announced soon.  I squeezed few hours
> > > to get most the patches updated
> > > ( patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_share.hxx
> > >  and patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_uno2cpp.cxx
> > > still need more work)
> > > in my working repository: https://github.com/lwhsu/freebsd-ports-libreoffice
> >
> > I took a look at this, and now have all patches applying cleanly.
> > However it appears some of these patches (or parts thereof) may
> > actually no longer be needed, as upstream changed the arguments
> > to some of the functions.  I'm trying to read/understand the
> > back story on some of these patches from the various commit logs
> > to be sure if it's safe to change them..
>
> OK, so that was actually a lot easier than I thought.  Looks
> like the two patches in question were introduced in r395799
> to make LibreOffice build on systems with pre-C++-11 compilers
> (specifically, FreeBSD 9.x).  As 9.x hasn't been officially
> supported in over two years and the base C++ on 11.2 uses
> C++-14, can I suggest that we just drop these patches rather
> than trying to carry them forward every time LibreOffice gets
> updated?

Thanks very much for the help!  Dropping these patches and focusing on
the supported FreeBSD versions sounds very reasonable to me.

Li-Wen

Re: [call for help] libreoffice 6.2 update

Greg Veldman-3
On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 02:50:15AM +0900, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> Thanks very much for the help!  Dropping these patches and focusing on
> the supported FreeBSD versions sounds very reasonable to me.

OK, I have a clean build, and I've pushed my changes up to your
GitHub repo.  Highlights include:

- bump to 6.2.1.1
- remove patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_share.hxx
  and patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_uno2cpp.cxx
  as these appear to be primarily for building on now-unsupported
  FreeBSD versions
- update graphics/libetonyek01 to use mdds-1.4
- in commit c53de0f of your repo, it appears you're trying to
  update the Makefile to account for the fact that
  emojione-color-font is now deprecated - I updated to reflect
  the fact that twemoji-color-font does not provide that file
  but instead provides TwitterColorEmoji-SVGinOT.ttf
- in commit d4d3766 of upstream LibreOffice, several variables
  in sal/osl/unx/thread.cxx were declared to be const.  However
  in function osl_thread_priority_init_Impl() they are assigned
  values based on the return of various sched_get_priority_*()
  functions.  I'm not a C++ expert, but I believe this to be
  an upstream bug.  Note that on Linux all of this code is
  skipped due to the definition of NO_PTHREAD_PRIORITY in
  sal/osl/unx/system.hxx, so the compiler error wouldn't show
  up.  For now I've reverted that part of the commit.  If there's
  a cleaner way to do this, let me know.  If you agree it's
  actually a bug, I'll submit it upstream.

I've tested that these changes build/run on my 11.2 box.  I'll
try on some other systems as I have time, but I wanted to get
the changes I've been working on pushed back up to your repo
in case anyone else wants to take a look, and also to protect
against any possible loss. ;-)

--
Greg Veldman

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:05 AM Greg Veldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 02:50:15AM +0900, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> > Thanks very much for the help!  Dropping these patches and focusing on
> > the supported FreeBSD versions sounds very reasonable to me.
>
> OK, I have a clean build, and I've pushed my changes up to your
> GitHub repo.  Highlights include:
>
> - bump to 6.2.1.1
> - remove patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_share.hxx
>   and patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_uno2cpp.cxx
>   as these appear to be primarily for building on now-unsupported
>   FreeBSD versions
> - update graphics/libetonyek01 to use mdds-1.4
> - in commit c53de0f of your repo, it appears you're trying to
>   update the Makefile to account for the fact that
>   emojione-color-font is now deprecated - I updated to reflect
>   the fact that twemoji-color-font does not provide that file
>   but instead provides TwitterColorEmoji-SVGinOT.ttf
> - in commit d4d3766 of upstream LibreOffice, several variables
>   in sal/osl/unx/thread.cxx were declared to be const.  However
>   in function osl_thread_priority_init_Impl() they are assigned
>   values based on the return of various sched_get_priority_*()
>   functions.  I'm not a C++ expert, but I believe this to be
>   an upstream bug.  Note that on Linux all of this code is
>   skipped due to the definition of NO_PTHREAD_PRIORITY in
>   sal/osl/unx/system.hxx, so the compiler error wouldn't show
>   up.  For now I've reverted that part of the commit.  If there's
>   a cleaner way to do this, let me know.  If you agree it's
>   actually a bug, I'll submit it upstream.
>
> I've tested that these changes build/run on my 11.2 box.  I'll
> try on some other systems as I have time, but I wanted to get
> the changes I've been working on pushed back up to your repo
> in case anyone else wants to take a look, and also to protect
> against any possible loss. ;-)

Thanks very much for all these work! I haven't had time to get a
deeper test, but it also builds and runs fine on my 13-CURRENT system.
Here are some quick feedback from me:

- Now libreoffice doesn't build on i386 systems:

/wrkdirs/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-6.2.1.1/bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_linux_intel/except.cxx:167:32:
error: unknown type name '__si_class_type_info'
                    rtti = new __si_class_type_info(
                               ^
/wrkdirs/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-6.2.1.1/bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_linux_intel/except.cxx:173:32:
error: unknown type name '__class_type_info'
                    rtti = new __class_type_info( strdup( rttiName ) );
                               ^
2 errors generated.

It seems because we removed the two
patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_* files, but
currently I don't know why this affect 32-bit systems. The full error
log is available at:
https://gist.github.com/lwhsu/957db6755bacc2ee086b2fae513e5406

- For the assigning values to const variables issue (commit d4d3766 of
LibreOffice), it also sounds a bug to me.  I would suggest open an
issue at upstream and see what they reply.
- Haven't checked Calc can use libnumbertext correctly.  I'll try to
do that later this week.
- There are some minor fixes pushed to the repository.

BTW, if this makes your development easier, please just commit
whatever you have to the repository for avoiding dropping single big
commit, or feel free to new branches. Thanks for the work again!

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:38:28PM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:

> - Now libreoffice doesn't build on i386 systems:
>
> /wrkdirs/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-6.2.1.1/bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_linux_intel/except.cxx:167:32:
> error: unknown type name '__si_class_type_info'
>                     rtti = new __si_class_type_info(
>                                ^
> /wrkdirs/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-6.2.1.1/bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_linux_intel/except.cxx:173:32:
> error: unknown type name '__class_type_info'
>                     rtti = new __class_type_info( strdup( rttiName ) );
>                                ^
> 2 errors generated.
>
> It seems because we removed the two
> patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_* files, but
> currently I don't know why this affect 32-bit systems. The full error
> log is available at:
> https://gist.github.com/lwhsu/957db6755bacc2ee086b2fae513e5406

Yes, it appears to be down to the fact the LLVM does RTTI a
bit differently.  Looking into it now.  If I have to bring those
patches forward, I will but I'll try to give them a bit more
descriptive names/comments.  But if there's a cleaner way (less
local patches) that would be my first choice.

--
Greg Veldman

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 08:16 Greg Veldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 09:38:28PM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> > - Now libreoffice doesn't build on i386 systems:
> >
> > /wrkdirs/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-
> 6.2.1.1/bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_linux_intel/except.cxx:167:32:
> > error: unknown type name '__si_class_type_info'
> >                     rtti = new __si_class_type_info(
> >                                ^
> > /wrkdirs/usr/ports/editors/libreoffice/work/libreoffice-
> 6.2.1.1/bridges/source/cpp_uno/gcc3_linux_intel/except.cxx:173:32:
> > error: unknown type name '__class_type_info'
> >                     rtti = new __class_type_info( strdup( rttiName ) );
> >                                ^
> > 2 errors generated.
> >
> > It seems because we removed the two
> > patch-bridges_source_cpp__uno_gcc3__linux__intel_* files, but
> > currently I don't know why this affect 32-bit systems. The full error
> > log is available at:
> > https://gist.github.com/lwhsu/957db6755bacc2ee086b2fae513e5406
>
> Yes, it appears to be down to the fact the LLVM does RTTI a
> bit differently.  Looking into it now.  If I have to bring those
> patches forward, I will but I'll try to give them a bit more
> descriptive names/comments.  But if there's a cleaner way (less
> local patches) that would be my first choice.

Oh, sorry that I didn’t update my latest status. I have fixed the i386
compile issue by backporting the latest code from libreoffice head, but now
i386 build fails in other place where a program (gengal.bin) cores.  The
repository was updated.

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 08:22:26AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> Oh, sorry that I didn???t update my latest status. I have fixed the i386
> compile issue by backporting the latest code from libreoffice head, but now
> i386 build fails in other place where a program (gengal.bin) cores.  The
> repository was updated.

All right, I'll update my repo and try building this weekend and
see what I can see.  Were the issues you were seeing on 11-i386
or 12-i386 or both?  Any other outstanding problems?

--
Greg Veldman

On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 10:42 Greg Veldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 08:22:26AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> > Oh, sorry that I didn???t update my latest status. I have fixed the i386
> > compile issue by backporting the latest code from libreoffice head, but
> now
> > i386 build fails in other place where a program (gengal.bin) cores.  The
> > repository was updated.
>
> All right, I'll update my repo and try building this weekend and
> see what I can see.  Were the issues you were seeing on 11-i386
> or 12-i386 or both?  Any other outstanding problems?

12-i386, I haven’t tried 11 (also not 11-amd64). I only tested executing it
on my 13 laptop.  The only issue I found so far is it still have problems
if enabling GTK3.

On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 11:00:57AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> 12-i386, I haven???t tried 11 (also not 11-amd64). I only tested executing it
> on my 13 laptop.  The only issue I found so far is it still have problems
> if enabling GTK3.

Yes, I remember that from last time as well.  I dug into that
a bit at that time, and I remember getting as far as finding
where it was breaking, but did not get any further than that.
I'll see if I can find my notes from that, it was several months
ago.

--
Greg Veldman

Re: [call for help] libreoffice 6.2 update

Greg Veldman-3
On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 11:00:57AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 9, 2019 at 10:42 Greg Veldman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Mar 09, 2019 at 08:22:26AM +0800, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> > > Oh, sorry that I didn???t update my latest status. I have fixed the i386
> > > compile issue by backporting the latest code from libreoffice head, but
> > now
> > > i386 build fails in other place where a program (gengal.bin) cores.  The
> > > repository was updated.
> >
> > All right, I'll update my repo and try building this weekend and
> > see what I can see.  Were the issues you were seeing on 11-i386
> > or 12-i386 or both?  Any other outstanding problems?
>

> 12-i386, I haven???t tried 11 (also not 11-amd64). I only tested executing it
> on my 13 laptop.  The only issue I found so far is it still have problems
> if enabling GTK3.

I was able to reproduce the segfault.  From the limited amount
of debugging I've been able to do, it looks like it may trace
back to the cpp_uno libs.  Will try to look into it more tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, I see that 6.2.1.2 was released a bit
over a week ago, and it looks like the i18n packages for that
version have been declared stable.  I've got a test build going
on 11.2-amd64 now.  If that finishes successfully, I'll push those
changes back up to your GitHub repo, as it will allow us to
unset the PRERELEASE flag.

--
Greg Veldman

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 07:45:49PM -0400, Greg Veldman wrote:
> I was able to reproduce the segfault.  From the limited amount
> of debugging I've been able to do, it looks like it may trace
> back to the cpp_uno libs.  Will try to look into it more tomorrow.

I was able to spend a bit of quality time with gdb and UBSan
this morning, and got it tracked down.  It was indeed the cpp_uno
bridge, specifically the exception processing code as triggered
by the FileExists() function in svx/source/gallery2/galmisc.cxx.

I'm running an i386 test build again now, if it finishes
successfully I'll push the patch.

--
Greg Veldman

On Wed, Mar 13, 2019 at 02:46:41PM -0400, Greg Veldman wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 07:45:49PM -0400, Greg Veldman wrote:
> > I was able to reproduce the segfault.  From the limited amount
> > of debugging I've been able to do, it looks like it may trace
> > back to the cpp_uno libs.  Will try to look into it more tomorrow.
>
> I was able to spend a bit of quality time with gdb and UBSan
> this morning, and got it tracked down.  It was indeed the cpp_uno
> bridge, specifically the exception processing code as triggered
> by the FileExists() function in svx/source/gallery2/galmisc.cxx.
>
> I'm running an i386 test build again now, if it finishes
> successfully I'll push the patch.

With the most recent two commits, I've now gotten clean builds
on 11.2-amd64, 11.2-i386, and 12.0-i386.  I'll try to run a
test build on 12.0-amd64 later today if I can.  I've also done
some basic functionality tests (e.g. can I open, edit, save
documents, use internal LO dialogs, etc).

I think the current repo seems to be in a fairly stable state
at this point.  Li-Wen, if you agree do you want to issue a
broader call for testing?  With all the work that's been done
on this, I'd kind of like to see it make it into the ports
tree for 2019Q2 if possible, so the broader community can
actually use it... ;-)

--
Greg Veldman

Re: [call for help] libreoffice 6.2 update

Greg Veldman-3
Is there anything else that needs to be done to get the LO
updates currently on GitHub into a state where they can be
committed?  Should I open a PR?

--
Greg Veldman

Re: [call for help] libreoffice 6.2 update

Li-Wen Hsu-3
Hi! Sorry that I was occupied and missed your last two mail.  Thanks
very much for your work.  I'm doing a build in my poudriere and on my
13-CURRENT laptop.  I will also try to update it to 6.2.2, which was
released yesterday. I'll commit the change then.

Best,
Li-Wen

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:04:17PM +0900, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> Hi! Sorry that I was occupied and missed your last two mail.  Thanks
> very much for your work.  I'm doing a build in my poudriere and on my
> 13-CURRENT laptop.  I will also try to update it to 6.2.2, which was
> released yesterday. I'll commit the change then.

Sounds good.  If you need any help updating or testing, let me
know.

--
Greg Veldman

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:27 PM Greg Veldman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 11:04:17PM +0900, Li-Wen Hsu wrote:
> > Hi! Sorry that I was occupied and missed your last two mail.  Thanks
> > very much for your work.  I'm doing a build in my poudriere and on my
> > 13-CURRENT laptop.  I will also try to update it to 6.2.2, which was
> > released yesterday. I'll commit the change then.
>
> Sounds good.  If you need any help updating or testing, let me
> know.

Updated in r496620. Thanks very much for your help!
12