loader.conf setting ignored

Ben Kelly-2
Hello all,

I am trying to turn on geom debug at boot in order to help figure out my
gvinum problem, but I can't seem to set the variable from loader.conf.  I
can, however, set the variable from the loader prompt.

My loader.conf looks like:

  geom_vinum_load="YES"
  kern.geom.debugflags="1"

I verified that my loader.rc contains these lines:

  include /boot/loader.4th
  start

Any ideas on why debugflags cannot be set from loader.conf?  I tried googling
and found many references to people using it this way.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

- Ben

Re: loader.conf setting ignored

Sarxan Elxanzade
Write kern.geom.debugflags=1 it in to sysctl.conf and then try again.

--
Elkhanzade Sarkhan
Azerin ISP, U.Hajibeyov 36, Baku

On Monday 07 November 2005 12:05 pm, Sarxan Elxanzade wrote:
> Write kern.geom.debugflags=1 it in to sysctl.conf and then try again.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I moved the setting to /etc/sysctl.conf and this did result in the debugflags
being set correctly.  Unfortunately, though, it appears this occurs too late
to see geom debug for the boot process.  (Which makes sense since geom is
probably needed to read in sysctl.conf.)

I guess this is just something that cannot be done without console access to
the loader prompt?

Thanks again.

> On Monday 07 November 2005 20:49, Ben Kelly wrote:
> > My loader.conf looks like:
> >   kern.geom.debugflags="1"

Re: loader.conf setting ignored

Sarxan Elxanzade
It looks like console access is necessary. But may be someone prompt another
solution.

Sarxan Elxanzade wrote:
> It looks like console access is necessary. But may be someone prompt another
> solution.

So it turns out you can set kern.geom.debugflags from loader.conf.  The
gvinum mirror problem I was trying to debug was causing the problem.
Edits to loader.conf were only being written to the second disk, but the
loader was reading the first disk during boot.  After manually copying
/boot over it worked fine.  Just thought I would mention that for the
archives.

- Ben

Re: loader.conf setting ignored

Craig Boston-4
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 03:57:56PM -0500, Ben Kelly wrote:
> So it turns out you can set kern.geom.debugflags from loader.conf.  The
> gvinum mirror problem I was trying to debug was causing the problem.
> Edits to loader.conf were only being written to the second disk, but the
> loader was reading the first disk during boot.  After manually copying
> /boot over it worked fine.  Just thought I would mention that for the
> archives.

Just a tip that may help in circumstances like this.  Anything that can
be set from loader.conf (or device.hints for that matter) can also be
set from the loader prompt:

set kern.geom.debugflags=XXX

...of course in your case it looked like the values _were_ being set,
but it can be handy when loader.conf is difficult or impossible to edit.

Craig

Re: loader.conf setting ignored

Craig Boston-4
Oh, ignore me.... I just read the thread from beginning and saw that
you already thought of that and didn't have console access :-/

Craig