make delete-old: missing some files?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

make delete-old: missing some files?

Alexey Dokuchaev-2
hi there,

i've made my -CURRENT world and installed, but "make delete-old" tells
me it cannot remove some directories:

>>> Removing old directories
rmdir: /usr/share/dtrace: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/dtrace: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/tests/libexec/rtld-elf: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/tests/libexec: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/tests: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/i18n: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib: Directory not empty
rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr: Directory not empty

taking /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines as an example:

# find /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/lib4758cca.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libaep.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libatalla.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libcapi.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libchil.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libcswift.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libgost.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libnuron.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libsureware.so.debug
/usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libubsec.so.debug

am i missing something, or ObsoleteFiles.inc lacks a few entries?

./danfe
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: make delete-old: missing some files?

John Baldwin
On 10/18/19 10:05 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i've made my -CURRENT world and installed, but "make delete-old" tells
> me it cannot remove some directories:
>
>>>> Removing old directories
> rmdir: /usr/share/dtrace: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/dtrace: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/tests/libexec/rtld-elf: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/tests/libexec: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/tests: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/i18n: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib: Directory not empty
> rmdir: /usr/lib/debug/usr: Directory not empty
>
> taking /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines as an example:
>
> # find /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/lib4758cca.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libaep.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libatalla.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libcapi.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libchil.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libcswift.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libgost.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libnuron.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libsureware.so.debug
> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/libubsec.so.debug
>
> am i missing something, or ObsoleteFiles.inc lacks a few entries?

These are from the OpenSSL 1.1.1 commit.  However, they are tagged as
OLD_LIBS and check-old-libs and delete-old-libs should be automatically
deleting these?  Does 'make check-old' report these files as
old libraries?

--
John Baldwin
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: make delete-old: missing some files?

Alexey Dokuchaev-2
On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 04:34:53PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 10/18/19 10:05 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > hi there,
> >
> > i've made my -CURRENT world and installed, but "make delete-old" tells
> > me it cannot remove some directories:
> >
> >>>> Removing old directories
> > rmdir: /usr/share/dtrace: Directory not empty
> > rmdir: /usr/lib/dtrace: Directory not empty

Apparently, these are because I've started to put WITHOUT_CDDL=yes in
/etc/src.conf since recently:

$ find /usr/lib/dtrace -type f
/usr/lib/dtrace/siftr.d
/usr/lib/dtrace/mbuf.d
/usr/lib/dtrace/socket.d

$ find /usr/share/dtrace -type f
/usr/share/dtrace/nfsattrstats
/usr/share/dtrace/siftr
/usr/share/dtrace/blocking
/usr/share/dtrace/tcpdebug

I can see some dtrace/*.d files in OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc, perhaps
these are missing?

> > # find /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
> > /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
> > /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/lib4758cca.so.debug
> > ...
>
> These are from the OpenSSL 1.1.1 commit.  However, they are tagged as
> OLD_LIBS and check-old-libs and delete-old-libs should be automatically
> deleting these?  Does 'make check-old' report these files as
> old libraries?

I've manually placed one of those back on the filesystem and `make
check-old' reported it (twice!) under libraries.  But after r353907 it
get cleaned up properly with `make delete-old'.

./danfe
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: make delete-old: missing some files?

John Baldwin
On 10/22/19 8:42 PM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 04:34:53PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On 10/18/19 10:05 AM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
>>> hi there,
>>>
>>> i've made my -CURRENT world and installed, but "make delete-old" tells
>>> me it cannot remove some directories:
>>>
>>>>>> Removing old directories
>>> rmdir: /usr/share/dtrace: Directory not empty
>>> rmdir: /usr/lib/dtrace: Directory not empty
>
> Apparently, these are because I've started to put WITHOUT_CDDL=yes in
> /etc/src.conf since recently:
>
> $ find /usr/lib/dtrace -type f
> /usr/lib/dtrace/siftr.d
> /usr/lib/dtrace/mbuf.d
> /usr/lib/dtrace/socket.d
>
> $ find /usr/share/dtrace -type f
> /usr/share/dtrace/nfsattrstats
> /usr/share/dtrace/siftr
> /usr/share/dtrace/blocking
> /usr/share/dtrace/tcpdebug>
> I can see some dtrace/*.d files in OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc, perhaps
> these are missing?

Probably.

>>> # find /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
>>> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines
>>> /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/engines/lib4758cca.so.debug
>>> ...
>>
>> These are from the OpenSSL 1.1.1 commit.  However, they are tagged as
>> OLD_LIBS and check-old-libs and delete-old-libs should be automatically
>> deleting these?  Does 'make check-old' report these files as
>> old libraries?
>
> I've manually placed one of those back on the filesystem and `make
> check-old' reported it (twice!) under libraries.  But after r353907 it
> get cleaned up properly with `make delete-old'.

Hmm, then 'make delete-old-libs' should already delete them without needing
r353907.  The issue with r353907 is if someone doesn't delete the
actual libraries via 'make delete-old-libs' but then tries to debug an
application that was using the old openssl and crashed, we'd no longer
have debug symbols if the crash was in one of those libraries.  That
matters less for OpenSSL engines, but matters more for something like
libutil, etc. hence why we delete debug symbols as part of delete-old-libs
instead of delete-old.

If 'make delete-old-libs' deletes these files already, then we should
probably revert r353907.

--
John Baldwin
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: make delete-old: missing some files?

Alexey Dokuchaev-2
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:07:16AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 10/22/19 8:42 PM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 04:34:53PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> >> ...
> >> These are from the OpenSSL 1.1.1 commit.  However, they are tagged as
> >> OLD_LIBS and check-old-libs and delete-old-libs should be automatically
> >> deleting these?  Does 'make check-old' report these files as
> >> old libraries?
> >
> > I've manually placed one of those back on the filesystem and `make
> > check-old' reported it (twice!) under libraries.  But after r353907 it
> > get cleaned up properly with `make delete-old'.
>
> Hmm, then 'make delete-old-libs' should already delete them without needing
> r353907.  The issue with r353907 is if someone doesn't delete the
> actual libraries via 'make delete-old-libs' but then tries to debug an
> application that was using the old openssl and crashed, we'd no longer
> have debug symbols if the crash was in one of those libraries.  That
> matters less for OpenSSL engines, but matters more for something like
> libutil, etc. hence why we delete debug symbols as part of delete-old-libs
> instead of delete-old.
>
> If 'make delete-old-libs' deletes these files already, then we should
> probably revert r353907.

I've reverted r353907, and `make delete-old-libs' deleted those files.
Also, I've noticed that `lib/libdtrace.so.2' is listed twice in the
tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc, which is probably another bug.

./danfe
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: make delete-old: missing some files?

Alexey Dokuchaev-2
On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 07:40:36PM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 11:07:16AM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > On 10/22/19 8:42 PM, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> > > On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 04:34:53PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > >> ...
> > >> These are from the OpenSSL 1.1.1 commit.  However, they are tagged as
> > >> OLD_LIBS and check-old-libs and delete-old-libs should be automatically
> > >> deleting these?  Does 'make check-old' report these files as
> > >> old libraries?
> > >
> > > I've manually placed one of those back on the filesystem and `make
> > > check-old' reported it (twice!) under libraries.  But after r353907 it
> > > get cleaned up properly with `make delete-old'.
> >
> > Hmm, then 'make delete-old-libs' should already delete them without needing
> > r353907.  The issue with r353907 is if someone doesn't delete the
> > actual libraries via 'make delete-old-libs' but then tries to debug an
> > application that was using the old openssl and crashed, we'd no longer
> > have debug symbols if the crash was in one of those libraries.  That
> > matters less for OpenSSL engines, but matters more for something like
> > libutil, etc. hence why we delete debug symbols as part of delete-old-libs
> > instead of delete-old.
> >
> > If 'make delete-old-libs' deletes these files already, then we should
> > probably revert r353907.
>
> I've reverted r353907, and `make delete-old-libs' deleted those files.

So what was the final decision, did you guys sort it out?  I've seen that
r353907 was MFC'ed while it was still being discussed, hence my question:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=354150.

> Also, I've noticed that `lib/libdtrace.so.2' is listed twice in the
> tools/build/mk/OptionalObsoleteFiles.inc, which is probably another bug.

What about DTrace-related issues (this and the previous one)?

./danfe
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-current
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"