mate-conf-editor port?

Kevin Oberman-4
On my Mint Linux system I make periodic use of the mate-conf-editor to
adjust settings someone felt were not ones the typical user would want to
adjust. It was dangerous, but very handy for those little tweaks that make
the desktop work JUST the way you like.

I can't find  port of this tool for FreeBSD. Is it available? If not, I may
look into porting it myself, though I have not done a port since the major
re-work of the port system, and porting some of the Gnome2 stuff was
tricky, especially for someone who has not done serious programming in
about two decades. It would be really nice if someone has already done work
on it.
--
Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: [hidden email]

Re: mate-conf-editor port?

Koop Mast-2
On 29-7-2015 23:16, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> On my Mint Linux system I make periodic use of the mate-conf-editor to
> adjust settings someone felt were not ones the typical user would want to
> adjust. It was dangerous, but very handy for those little tweaks that make
> the desktop work JUST the way you like.
>
> I can't find  port of this tool for FreeBSD. Is it available? If not, I may
> look into porting it myself, though I have not done a port since the major
> re-work of the port system, and porting some of the Gnome2 stuff was
> tricky, especially for someone who has not done serious programming in
> about two decades. It would be really nice if someone has already done work
> on it.
> --

I found it but it seems which seems abandon.
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-conf-editor .
Since mate is using glib schema's you could use dconf-editor which only
needs gtk30 as extra depends.

-Koop

Re: mate-conf-editor port?

Kevin Oberman-4
Thanks, Koop. That was it. I'd tried gconf-editor which almost seemed to
work, but not really. dconf-editor seems liek the right tool.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Koop Mast <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 29-7-2015 23:16, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On my Mint Linux system I make periodic use of the mate-conf-editor to
> > adjust settings someone felt were not ones the typical user would want to
> > adjust. It was dangerous, but very handy for those little tweaks that
> make
> > the desktop work JUST the way you like.
> >
> > I can't find  port of this tool for FreeBSD. Is it available? If not, I
> may
> > look into porting it myself, though I have not done a port since the
> major
> > re-work of the port system, and porting some of the Gnome2 stuff was
> > tricky, especially for someone who has not done serious programming in
> > about two decades. It would be really nice if someone has already done
> work
> > on it.
> > --
>
> I found it but it seems which seems abandon.
> https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-conf-editor .
> Since mate is using glib schema's you could use dconf-editor which only
> needs gtk30 as extra depends.
>
> -Koop

Re: mate-conf-editor port?

Koop Mast-2
On 30-7-2015 0:28, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> Thanks, Koop. That was it. I'd tried gconf-editor which almost seemed
> to work, but not really. dconf-editor seems liek the right tool.

For the record, gconf2 is the "database" where the desktop would store
it's settings in the GNOME 2 era. GNOME 3 been using glib schemas for
that since before 3.0, I think,  but I could be wrong. Or at least most
parts. Some apps can convert there gconf settings to the new glib schema
stuff, but backwards is not possible.

-Koop