newcons splash screen

Joe Maloney-2
Hello,
is it possible to use a splash screen yet with newcons? I've been looking at the source code for VT, and it would appear there has been some work done towards this?

https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vt/vt.h

Also the wiki page shows limited support:

https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons

I've tried the standard method of enabling a splash screen but it of course does not work. I don't think I was able to get it to work with syscons either whereas it used to work.

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-splash.html

Is there another way? Or is it still not ready yet?

Joe Maloney

Re: newcons splash screen

Juan Ramón Molina Menor-3
> Hello,
> is it possible to use a splash screen yet with newcons? I've been looking at the source code for VT, and it would appear there has been some work done towards this?
>
> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vt/vt.h
>
> Also the wiki page shows limited support:
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
>
> I've tried the standard method of enabling a splash screen but it of course does not work. I don't think I was able to get it to work with syscons either whereas it used to work.
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-splash.html
>
> Is there another way? Or is it still not ready yet?
>
> Joe Maloney
Hi!

Maybe you are already aware of it, but in 2014 there was a Google Summer
of Code project on improving the bootsplash:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2014/Bootsplash

It worked well with sc(4), but I don’t know wether it applies to vt(4)…

Juan

Re: newcons splash screen

Kris Moore-2
On 05/20/16 12:06 PM, Juan Ramón Molina Menor wrote:

>> Hello,
>> is it possible to use a splash screen yet with newcons? I've been
>> looking at the source code for VT, and it would appear there has been
>> some work done towards this?
>>
>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vt/vt.h
>> Also the wiki page shows limited support:
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
>> I've tried the standard method of enabling a splash screen but it of
>> course does not work. I don't think I was able to get it to work with
>> syscons either whereas it used to work.
>>
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-splash.html
>> Is there another way? Or is it still not ready yet?
>>
>> Joe Maloney
> Hi!
>
> Maybe you are already aware of it, but in 2014 there was a Google
> Summer of Code project on improving the bootsplash:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2014/Bootsplash
>
> It worked well with sc(4), but I don’t know wether it applies to vt(4)…
>
> Juan
> "[hidden email]"

That project was done right before/during the conversion to Vt/NewCons.
It is not vt aware :(

--
Kris Moore
iXsystems

Re: newcons splash screen

Kris Moore-2
On 05/20/16 12:06 PM, Juan Ramón Molina Menor wrote:

>> Hello,
>> is it possible to use a splash screen yet with newcons? I've been
>> looking at the source code for VT, and it would appear there has been
>> some work done towards this?
>>
>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vt/vt.h
>> Also the wiki page shows limited support:
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
>> I've tried the standard method of enabling a splash screen but it of
>> course does not work. I don't think I was able to get it to work with
>> syscons either whereas it used to work.
>>
>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-splash.html
>> Is there another way? Or is it still not ready yet?
>>
>> Joe Maloney
> Hi!
>
> Maybe you are already aware of it, but in 2014 there was a Google
> Summer of Code project on improving the bootsplash:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2014/Bootsplash
>
> It worked well with sc(4), but I don’t know wether it applies to vt(4)…
>
> Juan
> "[hidden email]"

That project was done right before/during the conversion to Vt/NewCons.
It is not vt aware :(

--
Kris Moore
iXsystems
Enterprise Storage & Servers Driven By Open Source

Re: newcons splash screen

Adrian Chadd-4
I've started my loader / vt hacking again, but it'll all be post-11.0-RELEASE.

I'll tidy up some initial patches to loader and get them into git so
people can review/evaluate/test them.

I'm also hoping to land something vt_vesa'ish too, as I'd like to use
a vesa splash screen for non-EFI boots (for "reasons".)

Just bug me. Gently, but bug me.

-adrian

On 20 May 2016 at 09:22, Kris Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 05/20/16 12:06 PM, Juan Ramón Molina Menor wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> is it possible to use a splash screen yet with newcons? I've been
>>> looking at the source code for VT, and it would appear there has been
>>> some work done towards this?
>>>
>>> https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/master/sys/dev/vt/vt.h
>>> Also the wiki page shows limited support:
>>>
>>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons
>>> I've tried the standard method of enabling a splash screen but it of
>>> course does not work. I don't think I was able to get it to work with
>>> syscons either whereas it used to work.
>>>
>>> https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/boot-splash.html
>>> Is there another way? Or is it still not ready yet?
>>>
>>> Joe Maloney
>> Hi!
>>
>> Maybe you are already aware of it, but in 2014 there was a Google
>> Summer of Code project on improving the bootsplash:
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2014/Bootsplash
>>
>> It worked well with sc(4), but I don’t know wether it applies to vt(4)…
>>
>> Juan
>> "[hidden email]"
>
> That project was done right before/during the conversion to Vt/NewCons.
> It is not vt aware :(
>

> --
> Kris Moore
> iXsystems
> Enterprise Storage & Servers Driven By Open Source

Re: newcons splash screen

Thomas Mueller-14
Is the newcons nonsupport for console screensaver related to the nonsupport for newcons splash screen?

Situation is the same in NetBSD 7.0_RELEASE and STABLE, and current/head, no support for screensaver.  DRMKMS is NetBSD's equivalent/counterpart of FreeBSD's newcons.  Boot to console comes up into 250x67, like in FreeBSD after exiting X.

Tom