no FreeBSD implementation works with Freenet

no FreeBSD implementation works with Freenet

Rob Lytle
Hi,

It is the first time that I have tried any of the FreeBSD
implementations for running Freenet in quite a while- but the result
is still the same. Everything that I have tried fails.  I have tried
linux-blackdown, linux-sun, and the native JDK1.4.2 and they all fail
with an error message similar to this:

Dec 13, 2005 9:05:06 AM (freenet.node.Node, main, ERROR): Encountered
an unexpected error when locking the lockfile
'/crypt/rob2/freenet/lock.lck'. Shutting down. java.io.IOException:
Operation not supported at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.lock0(Native
Method) at sun.nio.ch.FileChannelImpl.tryLock(FileChannelImpl.java:788)
at java.nio.channels.FileChannel.tryLock(FileChannel.java:967) at
freenet.node.Node.init(Node.java:3677) at freenet.node.Main.main
(Main.java:476)

Freenet works fine on Windows and Gentoo Linux, but it seems like it
has just never ever worked on FreeBSD.

Rob.

Re: no FreeBSD implementation works with Freenet

Herve Quiroz-2
On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:10:48AM -0800, Rob Lytle wrote:
> Freenet works fine on Windows and Gentoo Linux, but it seems like it
> has just never ever worked on FreeBSD.

Did you install Freenet using the ports framework? In such case, there
must something specific to your configuration which causes trouble
because it works fine on my system.

In any case, I suggest that you contact the maintainer of the port
([hidden email]) if you want to report such error so that he may be
aware of it and fix it.

Herve

Re: no FreeBSD implementation works with Freenet

Rob Lytle
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 18:25:30 +0100
Herve Quiroz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:10:48AM -0800, Rob Lytle wrote:
> > Freenet works fine on Windows and Gentoo Linux, but it seems like it
> > has just never ever worked on FreeBSD.
>
> Did you install Freenet using the ports framework? In such case, there
> must something specific to your configuration which causes trouble
> because it works fine on my system.
>
> In any case, I suggest that you contact the maintainer of the port
> ([hidden email]) if you want to report such error so that he may be
> aware of it and fix it.
>
> Herve
My god, I never knew there was a Freenet port.  I have always just
installed the package from the Freenet site, since it is just a jar
with some shell scripts.

One thing is true about Freenet though.  It is a continuously moving
target and I know that they have to work around java bugs in general.
I will look at that port and see what special is being done to make
Freenet work.

Rob.

Re: no FreeBSD implementation works with Freenet

Ronald Klop-2
Are you running on ffs or nfs? If nfs, did you enable lock-support?

--
  Ronald Klop
  Amsterdam, The Netherlands

--
  Ronald Klop
  Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Thank you Ronald.  I should have thought about that.  Its there in my
rc.conf, but I had it set to "NO".  That explains some things.
I am trying to run Freenet on top of cfs which uses NFS.  However, now
I get the error message in freenet.log which says that some other
process is using the lockfile.  But I am making progress.  I have run
the same setup on Linux before, so maybe I need to look back at that to
see what I did.

Rob Lytle