(no subject)

Brandon helsley
I was told "Based on your error (resolver), your DNS is hosed.Rudy" can I get additional help today for services in jails? Thanks

Brandon

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

Re:

Noon OG
Hi Brandon,

It's show and tell day ;)

first step, inside the jail:

ls -al /etc/resolv.conf
cat /etc/resolv.conf

if you got nothing, just go for something like:

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" >> /etc/resolv.conf

either way, ping 8.8.8.8 should return something.
On the other hand, there are a few sysctl knobs, for raw sockets that might
need tweaking. But we'll see what happens, as we go.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 5:59 PM Brandon helsley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I was told "Based on your error (resolver), your DNS is hosed.Rudy" can I
> get additional help today for services in jails? Thanks
>

> Brandon
>
> Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

Re: Re:

Brandon helsley
For

ls -al /etc/resolv.conf:-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 125 may 4 06:36 /etc/resolv.conf

cat /etc/resolv.conf: Generated by resolvconf search home
#nameserver 192.168.0.1
#nameserver 205.171.3.25

Nameserver 127.0.0.1
Options edns0

Also, ping : send socket: operation not permitted .

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

________________________________

Re: Re:

Noon OG
let's just try something like, edit that /etc/resolv.conf file, and,
instead of nameserver 127.0.0.1, change it to nameserver 8.8.8.8

about the ping thing: run this on the host: sysctl security.jail.
allow_raw_sockets=1
and
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/jails-ezjail.html
check this out, the green rectangle, if you're using ezjail

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 6:23 PM Brandon helsley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> For
>
> ls -al /etc/resolv.conf:-rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 125 may 4 06:36
> /etc/resolv.conf
>
> cat /etc/resolv.conf: Generated by resolvconf search home
> #nameserver 192.168.0.1
> #nameserver 205.171.3.25
>
> Nameserver 127.0.0.1
> Options edns0
>

> Also, ping : send socket: operation not permitted .
>
> Sent from Outlook Mobile <https://aka.ms/blhgte>
>
> ------------------------------

Thanks for the help, it might take me some time to get back to this step. As I've been trying to learn I just today messed with ifconfig trying to reassign ip addresses to the network interface card and it seems I can't get it back up and running. I'm going to reinstall and set the jails backup and finish these last steps and get back to you. Hopefully you can stick with me until I get this figured out. Thanks shouldn't be too long.

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

________________________________

Re: Re:

Noon OG
we're all here . we'll all help, as much as possible ;)

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:15 PM Brandon helsley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks for the help, it might take me some time to get back to this step.
> As I've been trying to learn I just today messed with ifconfig trying to
> reassign ip addresses to the network interface card and it seems I can't
> get it back up and running. I'm going to reinstall and set the jails backup
> and finish these last steps and get back to you. Hopefully you can stick
> with me until I get this figured out. Thanks shouldn't be too long.
>
> Sent from Outlook Mobile <https://aka.ms/blhgte>
>
> ------------------------------

Ok Im back. Fixed it

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

________________________________

Re: Re:

Brandon helsley
I did what you said with changing the nameserver and sysctl and to no luck.
If I try to sysctl inside the jail I get operation not permitted.

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

________________________________

Re: Re:

Brandon helsley
What is the next step after that?

Sent from Outlook Mobile<https://aka.ms/blhgte>

________________________________

Re: Re:

Mike Wayne
On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 07:42:50PM +0000, Brandon helsley wrote:
> I did what you said with changing the nameserver and sysctl and to no luck.
> If I try to sysctl inside the jail I get operation not permitted.

As the original posters daid, you have to do the sysclt on the HOST,
not in the jail.

> ________________________________

I'm using ezjail, and this is how i've got ping to work:

(on the host side)

[image: image.png]

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:31 AM Mike Wayne <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, May 05, 2020 at 07:42:50PM +0000, Brandon helsley wrote:
> > I did what you said with changing the nameserver and sysctl and to no
> luck.
> > If I try to sysctl inside the jail I get operation not permitted.
>
> As the original posters daid, you have to do the sysclt on the HOST,
> not in the jail.
>

> > ________________________________

Ekkehard 'Ekki' Gehm-2
Hey!

On your HOST (not in the jail):
Have a look at file /usr/local/etc/ezjail/YOURJAILNAME...
Edit the row saying:
export jail_YOURJAILNAME_parameters=""
to read:
export jail_YOURJAILNAME_parameters="allow.raw_sockets=1"

then restart your jail by typing: ezjail-admin restart

That will enable "ping" in your jail.

after that, in your jail, edit the file /etc/resolv.conf to read:

nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

Note: a # in front of a line means it is comment...

After that. try "ping 8.8.8.8". This will check if you can reach a host
"outside". output should be something like:

% ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8): 56 data bytes

(CTRL-C will stop the ping)

if that works. try "host www.freebsd.org" this will check if name
resolution works...Output should be:
% host www.freebsd.org
www.freebsd.org is an alias for wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org.
wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org has address 96.47.72.84
wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org has IPv6 address 2610:1c1:1:606c::50:15
wfe0.nyi.freebsd.org mail is handled by 0 .

If that works, the rest should also. Exept pkg isn't installed at all ;-)

Ekki

--
Ekkehard Gehm           *       mailto:[hidden email]
Doom-Labs Inc.          *       http://www.doom-labs.net

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.

Microsoft:      "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:          "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
FreeBSD:        "Are you guys coming or what?"