pmcstat profiles kernel code?

Sai Prajeeth
Hi,

I am not sure if this is the list that addresses this question but here it
goes. I would like to count hardware events such as instructions retired /
unhalted-core-cycles for all the systems for BOTH OS and APPLICATION. I am
aware that pmcstat has a system wide monitoring mode that counts events
across all the CPUs for all processes. I want to know whether the
statistics for kernel code are collected as well ? (which I dont think so).

Thanks!

Re: pmcstat profiles kernel code?

Stanislav Sedov-3

> On Jun 12, 2015, at 3:58 AM, Sai Prajeeth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this is the list that addresses this question but here it
> goes. I would like to count hardware events such as instructions retired /
> unhalted-core-cycles for all the systems for BOTH OS and APPLICATION. I am
> aware that pmcstat has a system wide monitoring mode that counts events
> across all the CPUs for all processes. I want to know whether the
> statistics for kernel code are collected as well ? (which I dont think so).

Yes, system wide pmcstat collects counters for the entire system, both kernel
and userland processes.  Generally, you should see kernel functions show up
in pmcstat running in a system wide top mode.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE