portmaster's root and leaf ports

H-29
Hi,

On an empty ports system, i've installed :

    sysutils/portconf
    x11/xorg
    devel/glib20
    x11/kde3
    sysutils/portmaster

Now I expect only portconf and portmaster to be in the "Root ports (No
dependencies, not depended on)" section of portmaster, but I find this :

# portmaster -l
===>>> Root ports (No dependencies, not depended on)
===>>> libassuan-0.6.10
===>>> libtool-1.5.22_2
===>>> nasm-0.98.39,1
===>>> portconf-1.2
===>>> portmaster-1.8
===>>> qmake-3.3.6
===>>> unzip-5.52_2
===>>> 7 root ports

And only xorg and kde3 in the "Leaf ports (Have dependencies, not
depended on)" section, but I find this :

===>>> Leaf ports (Have dependencies, not depended on)
===>>> automake-1.5_2,1
===>>> automake-1.9.6
===>>> bison-1.75_2,1
===>>> gnupg-devel-1.9.20_1
===>>> help2man-1.36.4_1
===>>> imake-6.9.0
===>>> kde-3.5.3
===>>> libdts-0.0.2_2
===>>> p5-type1inst-0.6.1_2
===>>> pkg_tree-1.1_1
===>>> teTeX-base-3.0_9
===>>> xorg-6.9.0
===>>> 12 leaf ports

What's going on here ? Aren't these all dependencies that should have
been tracked ? (shouldn't they be in the Trunk or Branch sections ?)

-- Hans Lambermont

Re: portmaster's root and leaf ports

Peter Jeremy
On Sun, 2006-Sep-10 19:55:36 +0200, Hans Lambermont wrote:
>What's going on here ? Aren't these all dependencies that should have
>been tracked ? (shouldn't they be in the Trunk or Branch sections ?)

A port can have six different dependency types (extract, patch, fetch,
build, run, lib).  Of these, lib is a subset of run and only run
dependencies are listed in the package information.

Most of the root and leaf ports you list fairly clearly fall into one
of the non-run dependencies: eg nasm is only needed to compile some
assembler in one of the other ports, bison is only needed to compile
some grammar files.  The ones I don't recognize as falling into this
category are libassuan, gnupg-devel, libdts and teTeX-base.  Someone
else may be able to expain these.

--
Peter Jeremy

Re: portmaster's root and leaf ports

B Briggs
Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-Sep-10 19:55:36 +0200, Hans Lambermont wrote:
>> What's going on here ? Aren't these all dependencies that should have
>> been tracked ? (shouldn't they be in the Trunk or Branch sections ?)
>
> A port can have six different dependency types (extract, patch, fetch,
> build, run, lib).  Of these, lib is a subset of run and only run
> dependencies are listed in the package information.
>
> Most of the root and leaf ports you list fairly clearly fall into one
> of the non-run dependencies: eg nasm is only needed to compile some
> assembler in one of the other ports, bison is only needed to compile
> some grammar files.  The ones I don't recognize as falling into this
> category are libassuan, gnupg-devel, libdts and teTeX-base.  Someone
> else may be able to expain these.

xorg and kde3 are metaports; I don't use kde3, but I removed xorg-6.9.0
after it's 'dependencies' were installed.

libdts is also just a build dependency for me. It's just installed and
then statically linked (in my case, mplayer).

It's funny that this came up today, because today I just wrote a utility
that sorts the dependency tree (in order of how they should be installed
or reinstalled from first to last). It includes the build dependencies
in addition to the run dependencies, so it might give a different
picture of what a leaf, branch, trunk, or root is.

portmaster just looks to see if there is or is not a +REQUIRED_BY file,
and if in the +CONTENTS, if there is or is not a @pkgdep statement. 4
combinations determine the leaf, branch, trunk, or root status.

--
B Briggs

Re: portmaster's root and leaf ports

Darren Pilgrim-2
Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-Sep-10 19:55:36 +0200, Hans Lambermont wrote:
>> What's going on here ? Aren't these all dependencies that should have
>> been tracked ? (shouldn't they be in the Trunk or Branch sections ?)
>
> A port can have six different dependency types (extract, patch, fetch,
> build, run, lib).  Of these, lib is a subset of run and only run
> dependencies are listed in the package information.
>
> Most of the root and leaf ports you list fairly clearly fall into one
> of the non-run dependencies: eg nasm is only needed to compile some
> assembler in one of the other ports, bison is only needed to compile
> some grammar files.  The ones I don't recognize as falling into this
> category are libassuan, gnupg-devel, libdts and teTeX-base.  Someone
> else may be able to expain these.

libassuan -B-> gnupg-devel -B-> gpgme -R-> kdepim3 -R-> kde3
teTeX-base -B-> kdegraphics3 -R-> kde3

Where:
-B-> = left-hand side "is a build dependency of" right-hand side
-R-> = left-hand side "is a run dependency of" right-hand side

--
Darren Pilgrim