re: performance meassuring

Ing. Todor Colakov
I have mailserver, webserver, DNS and NFS server. I know there is no specific
performance value, because of that I wanted make separated lists for those basic types
(Maybe my english wasn't descriptive enough for that :( ). And also I wanted know why that
or other value is important for the concrete type of server... I know it all stands on the
knowledges of HW architectures, kernel, FS and alike... but I don't have these knowdleges
(yet) and I need to meassure server. Because I need to have feedback, when changing
setting of server.
Todor
P.S. Can the number of packets per second be the optimistic assumption of raw network
processing power of the server?

re: performance meassuring

Tom Evans-3

On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 04:58 -0800, Ing. Todor Colakov wrote:

> I have mailserver, webserver, DNS and NFS server. I know there is no specific
> performance value, because of that I wanted make separated lists for those basic types
> (Maybe my english wasn't descriptive enough for that :( ). And also I wanted know why that
> or other value is important for the concrete type of server... I know it all stands on the
> knowledges of HW architectures, kernel, FS and alike... but I don't have these knowdleges
> (yet) and I need to meassure server. Because I need to have feedback, when changing
> setting of server.
> Todor
> P.S. Can the number of packets per second be the optimistic assumption of raw network
> processing power of the server?
PPS of what? If the server is a forwarding router, then PPS of 64 byte
packets forwarded would be a good metric. If its a database server, then
PPS is largely irrelevant.

Generally speaking, work out what you want to change, find a good metric
to measure the performance change (Eg, change filesystem/tuning options,
run bonnie++), measure before and after. Even then, its not that simple,
as bonnie++ doesnt accurately represent my FS-related workloads. The
ideal way is to find a way of measuring $APPLICATION, since that is what
the server is for.

Tom