rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105)

Ronald Klop
Hi,

Was following the advice from the wiki and this thread:  
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2020-November/022701.html

Tried this snapshot and had no luck for an hour or more.
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20201112-2ed50808d2b.img.xz

Than I tried this one and had a booting system!!!! Hooray!
https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/arm64/aarch64/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm64-aarch64-RPI3-20201105-ef87bd449eb.img.xz

8GB and Dmesg available:  
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5792

Next step is connecting SSD and move the root fs. Don't care if  
/boot/msdos stays on the SD.

Regards,
Ronald.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105)

freebsd-arm mailing list


> Am 20.11.2020 um 23:01 schrieb Ronald Klop <[hidden email]>:
> ….
> Next step is connecting SSD and move the root fs. Don’t care if /boot/msdos stays on the SD. ….

Hi,

you could simply `dd‘ the whole SD-card to xy.img and dd that image to SSD(or use e.g. BalenaEtcher or so).
The 8GB model will boot straight from SSD(no SD-card needed) with :
https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26853
see:
https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5719

Regards

Klaus



_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105)

Ronald Klop
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 00:14:48 +0100, Klaus Cucinauomo  
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>> Am 20.11.2020 um 23:01 schrieb Ronald Klop <[hidden email]>:
>> ….
>> Next step is connecting SSD and move the root fs. Don’t care if  
>> /boot/msdos stays on the SD. ….
>
> Hi,
>
> you could simply `dd‘ the whole SD-card to xy.img and dd that image to  
> SSD(or use e.g. BalenaEtcher or so).
> The 8GB model will boot straight from SSD(no SD-card needed) with :
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26853
> see:
> https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5719


Nice. Might try that. Can that also boot from ZFS? Or do I still need a  
small UFS /boot than?

Regards,
Ronald.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RPI4 boot with ZFS supported? (was: Re: rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105))

Ronald Klop
On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 09:05:04 +0100, Ronald Klop <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 00:14:48 +0100, Klaus Cucinauomo  
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>>> Am 20.11.2020 um 23:01 schrieb Ronald Klop <[hidden email]>:
>>> ….
>>> Next step is connecting SSD and move the root fs. Don’t care if  
>>> /boot/msdos stays on the SD. ….
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> you could simply `dd‘ the whole SD-card to xy.img and dd that image to  
>> SSD(or use e.g. BalenaEtcher or so).
>> The 8GB model will boot straight from SSD(no SD-card needed) with :
>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D26853
>> see:
>> https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5719
>
>
> Nice. Might try that. Can that also boot from ZFS? Or do I still need a  
> small UFS /boot than?
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.


I suppose it does support ZFS:

[root@rpi4 /boot/msdos]# strings EFI/BOOT/bootaa64.efi | grep zfs
     zfs:%s
zfs_be_root
zfs-bootonce
zfs_be_pages
zfs_be_currpage
list child datasets of a zfs dataset
zfs:%s%s/%s
org.open-zfs:large_blocks
zfs bootonce: %s
zfs:
lszfs
org.zfsonlinux:allocation_classes
zfs:%s/%s
zfs_be_active
/usr/src/sys/contrib/openzfs/module/zstd/zfs_zstd.c
org.zfsonlinux:large_dnode


Regards,
Ronald.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RPI4 boot with ZFS supported? (was: Re: rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105))

freebsd-arm mailing list


> Am 21.11.2020 um 15:07 schrieb Ronald Klop <[hidden email]>:
>
>
> I suppose it does support ZFS:
>
> [root@rpi4 /boot/msdos]# strings EFI/BOOT/bootaa64.efi | grep zfs
> …….
> Regards,
> Ronald.

thanks, please keep on reporting your results,
I suspect that Robert Clausecker might also be interested in working on an  (installer-)Image or something similar  for the RPI4 based on ZFS ;-)
for Robert(because of a private message): while possible to split the filesystem in many zfs-partitions splitting is  not a requirement.
As with UFS it’s possible to install the whole system on one  ZFS root partition(I sometimes do that on amd64 but haven’t extensively tested zfs on aarch64 yet)..

Regards
KK

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RPI4 boot with ZFS supported? (was: Re: rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105))

tech-lists
In reply to this post by Ronald Klop
On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 03:07:27PM +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:

>I suppose it does support ZFS:

It does. I run poudriere on mine, building ports for itself and other
rpi3s and rpi2s.

Would it be helpful if I wrote up a config somewhere and posted
it here?

I'm not booting to ssd/external though. I keep almost all data
on a zfs-usb3 external hd, in case the sdcard goes bad.
--
J.

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RPI4 boot with ZFS supported? (was: Re: rpi4 no boot 20201112 snapshot (success with 20201105))

Ronald Klop
On Sun, 22 Nov 2020 15:28:59 +0100, tech-lists <[hidden email]>  
wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 03:07:27PM +0100, Ronald Klop wrote:
>
>> I suppose it does support ZFS:
>
> It does. I run poudriere on mine, building ports for itself and other
> rpi3s and rpi2s.
>
> Would it be helpful if I wrote up a config somewhere and posted
> it here?
>
> I'm not booting to ssd/external though. I keep almost all data
> on a zfs-usb3 external hd, in case the sdcard goes bad.


I succeeded in running the rpi4 booted from ZFS on USB.

root@generic:/var/log # gpart show
=>        40  1953458096  da0  GPT  (931G)
           40      102400    1  efi  (50M)
       102440     8388608    2  freebsd-swap  (4.0G)
      8491048  1944967088    3  freebsd-zfs  (927G)

root@generic:/var/log # bectl list
BE      Active Mountpoint Space Created
default NR     /          2.54G 2020-11-23 22:10

I like it a lot. Will run some makeworld stuff tomorrow.

Thanks to everybody who makes this stuff possible.

Regards,
Ronald.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-arm
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"