sort.core error doing installworld on Current.

sort.core error doing installworld on Current.

Johan Hendriks-3
I have a machine running FreeBSD head.
rev 13.0-CURRENT #11 r360008

This is a quite powerful machine, so i thought it was a good idea to let
that server do the build and for my virtualbox machine i can use the
powerful machine to do a installword over NFS.

But when i did the make installworld step the client so to say gives an
error.

install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/Zulu
/usr/share/zoneinfo/Zulu
install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/posixrules
/usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules
install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/sort.core
/usr/share/zoneinfo/sort.core
install: /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/sort.core:
Permission denied
*** Error code 71

Stop.
bmake[5]: stopped in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake[4]: stopped in /usr/src/share
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake[3]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake[2]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake[1]: stopped in /usr/src
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src
.ERROR_TARGET='installworld'
.ERROR_META_FILE=''
.MAKE.LEVEL='0'
MAKEFILE=''
.MAKE.MODE='normal'
_ERROR_CMD='.PHONY'
.CURDIR='/usr/src'
.MAKE='make'
.OBJDIR='/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64'
.TARGETS='installworld'
DESTDIR=''
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=''
MACHINE='amd64'
MACHINE_ARCH='amd64'
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX='/usr/obj'
MAKESYSPATH='/usr/src/share/mk'
MAKE_VERSION='20181221'
PATH='/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin'
SRCTOP='/usr/src'
OBJTOP='/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64'

It looks likes sort coredumps in the usr/share/zoneinfo part of the base.
As it has no permission on the NFS share it errors out.
On the server itself, the installworld goes well, but it leaves a
sort.core file behind in /usr/share/zoneinfo

cd /usr/share/zoneinfo
ls -al
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel          118 Apr 16 20:25 Zulu
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel        3519 Apr 16 20:25 posixrules
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel  8982528 Apr 16 20:25 sort.core
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel      19424 Apr 16 20:25 zone.tab
-r--r--r--   1 root  wheel      17955 Apr 16 20:25 zone1970.tab

my src.conf file looks like this
WITHOUT_BLUETOOTH=yes
WITHOUT_CALENDAR=yes
WITHOUT_DICT=yes
WITHOUT_GAMES=yes
WITHOUT_I4B=yes
WITHOUT_IPFILTER=yes
WITHOUT_IPX=yes
WITHOUT_LPR=yes
WITHOUT_PROFILE=yes
WITHOUT_SENDMAIL=yes
WITHOUT_SHAREDOCS=yes
WITHOUT_WIRELESS=yes
WITHOUT_HAST=yes
WITHOUT_LLVM_TARGET_{MIPS,POWERPC,SPARC,RISCV}= YES
WITHOUT_LIB32=yes

in /etc/make.conf i have the following
MALLOC_PRODUCTION=yes
BATCH_DELETE_OLD_FILES= yes
CUPS_OVERWRITE_BASE=yes

What can i do about this?

Thank you for your time.

Re: sort.core error doing installworld on Current.

Kevin Oberman-4
ai you some how had a sort core dump sitting in
/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir. The questions, how
did get there? I'd take a look at the date on the file and, it it is older
than the buildworld, just assume that it was left-over garbage. In either
case, you can delete it and do another installworld.

That should most likely fix things, but, if the buildworld or installworld
had a crash of sort(1) that left the file, further investigation might be
needed. Re-making the zoneinfo would help track it down should this be a
rel bug, but it's my uneducated guess that it's not.
E-mail: [hidden email]

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:39 PM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So you some how had a sort core dump sitting in
> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir. The questions, how
> did get there? I'd take a look at the date on the file and, it it is older
> than the buildworld, just assume that it was left-over garbage. In either
> case, you can delete it and do another installworld.
>
> That should most likely fix things, but, if the buildworld or installworld
> had a crash of sort(1) that left the file, further investigation might be
> needed. Re-making the zoneinfo would help track it down should this be a re
> al bug, but it's my uneducated guess that it's not.
> --
> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

Please forgive that awful post! I missed a part of your message by laziness.

It's odd that the error of sort(1) crashing was not caught by the script.
Clearly, sort should NOT crash! Again, a re-build of zoneinfo might catch
something. Looking at the core might tell you which "sort" was involved...
the one you just built or the one in the base system. This could be just a
FOTU, but I would not bet on it.
E-mail: [hidden email]

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Johan Hendriks <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a machine running FreeBSD head.
>> rev 13.0-CURRENT #11 r360008
>>
>> This is a quite powerful machine, so i thought it was a good idea to let
>> that server do the build and for my virtualbox machine i can use the
>> powerful machine to do a installword over NFS.
>>
>> But when i did the make installworld step the client so to say gives an
>> error.
>>
>> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/Zulu
>> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Zulu
>> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/posixrules
>> /usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules
>> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
>> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/sort.core
>> /usr/share/zoneinfo/sort.core
>> install: /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/sort.core:
>> Permission denied
>> *** Error code 71
>>
>> Stop.
>> bmake[5]: stopped in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> bmake[4]: stopped in /usr/src/share
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> bmake[3]: stopped in /usr/src
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> bmake[2]: stopped in /usr/src
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> bmake[1]: stopped in /usr/src
>> *** Error code 1
>>
>> Stop.
>> make: stopped in /usr/src
>> .ERROR_TARGET='installworld'
>> .ERROR_META_FILE=''
>> .MAKE.LEVEL='0'
>> MAKEFILE=''
>> .MAKE.MODE='normal'
>> _ERROR_CMD='.PHONY'
>> .CURDIR='/usr/src'
>> .MAKE='make'
>> .OBJDIR='/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64'
>> .TARGETS='installworld'
>> DESTDIR=''
>> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=''
>> MACHINE='amd64'
>> MACHINE_ARCH='amd64'
>> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX='/usr/obj'
>> MAKESYSPATH='/usr/src/share/mk'
>> MAKE_VERSION='20181221'
>> PATH='/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin'
>> SRCTOP='/usr/src'
>> OBJTOP='/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64'
>>
>> It looks likes sort coredumps in the usr/share/zoneinfo part of the base.
>> As it has no permission on the NFS share it errors out.
>> On the server itself, the installworld goes well, but it leaves a
>> sort.core file behind in /usr/share/zoneinfo
>>
>> cd /usr/share/zoneinfo
>> ls -al

Re: sort.core error doing installworld on Current.

Rodney W. Grimes-6
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:39 PM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So you some how had a sort core dump sitting in
> > /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir. The questions, how
> > did get there? I'd take a look at the date on the file and, it it is older
> > than the buildworld, just assume that it was left-over garbage. In either
> > case, you can delete it and do another installworld.
> >
> > That should most likely fix things, but, if the buildworld or installworld
> > had a crash of sort(1) that left the file, further investigation might be
> > needed. Re-making the zoneinfo would help track it down should this be a re
> > al bug, but it's my uneducated guess that it's not.
> > --
> > Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> > E-mail: [hidden email]
> > PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
> >
> Please forgive that awful post! I missed a part of your message by laziness.
>
> It's odd that the error of sort(1) crashing was not caught by the script.

Yes, that is a Makefile flaw someplace.
Further there must be a wildcard being used to decide which files to
install, that is a further Makefile flaw.  Wildcards should NOT be used
in the source of an install list, exactly because of this type of cruft
that can be dropped in an obj dir.

> Clearly, sort should NOT crash! Again, a re-build of zoneinfo might catch
> something. Looking at the core might tell you which "sort" was involved...
> the one you just built or the one in the base system. This could be just a
> FOTU, but I would not bet on it.

I suspect a recent zoneinfo commit as the root cause.

> --
> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> E-mail: [hidden email]
> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
>

> > On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM Johan Hendriks <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I have a machine running FreeBSD head.
> >> rev 13.0-CURRENT #11 r360008
> >>
> >> This is a quite powerful machine, so i thought it was a good idea to let
> >> that server do the build and for my virtualbox machine i can use the
> >> powerful machine to do a installword over NFS.
> >>
> >> But when i did the make installworld step the client so to say gives an
> >> error.
> >>
> >> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
> >> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/Zulu
> >> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Zulu
> >> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
> >> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/posixrules
> >> /usr/share/zoneinfo/posixrules
> >> install   -o root -g wheel -m 444
> >> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/sort.core
> >> /usr/share/zoneinfo/sort.core
> >> install: /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir/sort.core:
> >> Permission denied
> >> *** Error code 71
> >>
> >> Stop.
> >> bmake[5]: stopped in /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
> >> *** Error code 1
> >>
> >> Stop.
> >> bmake[4]: stopped in /usr/src/share
> >> *** Error code 1
> >>
> >> Stop.
> >> bmake[3]: stopped in /usr/src
> >> *** Error code 1
> >>
> >> Stop.
> >> bmake[2]: stopped in /usr/src
> >> *** Error code 1
> >>
> >> Stop.
> >> bmake[1]: stopped in /usr/src
> >> *** Error code 1
> >>
> >> Stop.
> >> make: stopped in /usr/src
> >> .ERROR_TARGET='installworld'
> >> .ERROR_META_FILE=''
> >> .MAKE.LEVEL='0'
> >> MAKEFILE=''
> >> .MAKE.MODE='normal'
> >> _ERROR_CMD='.PHONY'
> >> .CURDIR='/usr/src'
> >> .MAKE='make'
> >> .OBJDIR='/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64'
> >> .TARGETS='installworld'
> >> DESTDIR=''
> >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=''
> >> MACHINE='amd64'
> >> MACHINE_ARCH='amd64'
> >> MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX='/usr/obj'
> >> MAKESYSPATH='/usr/src/share/mk'
> >> MAKE_VERSION='20181221'
> >> PATH='/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin'
> >> SRCTOP='/usr/src'
> >> OBJTOP='/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64'
> >>
> >> It looks likes sort coredumps in the usr/share/zoneinfo part of the base.
> >> As it has no permission on the NFS share it errors out.
> >> On the server itself, the installworld goes well, but it leaves a
> >> sort.core file behind in /usr/share/zoneinfo
> >>
> >> cd /usr/share/zoneinfo
> >> ls -al

Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Op 17-04-2020 om 03:31 schreef Rodney W. Grimes:

>> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 12:39 PM Kevin Oberman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> So you some how had a sort core dump sitting in
>>> /usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/share/zoneinfo/builddir. The questions, how
>>> did get there? I'd take a look at the date on the file and, it it is older
>>> than the buildworld, just assume that it was left-over garbage. In either
>>> case, you can delete it and do another installworld.
>>>
>>> That should most likely fix things, but, if the buildworld or installworld
>>> had a crash of sort(1) that left the file, further investigation might be
>>> needed. Re-making the zoneinfo would help track it down should this be a re
>>> al bug, but it's my uneducated guess that it's not.
>>> --
>>> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
>>> E-mail: [hidden email]
>>> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683
>>>
>> Please forgive that awful post! I missed a part of your message by laziness.
>>
>> It's odd that the error of sort(1) crashing was not caught by the script.
> Yes, that is a Makefile flaw someplace.
> Further there must be a wildcard being used to decide which files to
> install, that is a further Makefile flaw.  Wildcards should NOT be used
> in the source of an install list, exactly because of this type of cruft
> that can be dropped in an obj dir.
>
>> Clearly, sort should NOT crash! Again, a re-build of zoneinfo might catch
>> something. Looking at the core might tell you which "sort" was involved...
>> the one you just built or the one in the base system. This could be just a
>> FOTU, but I would not bet on it.
> I suspect a recent zoneinfo commit as the root cause.

I have no idea how to bypass this issue.
I have used sort from the latest snapshot and placed that file on the
system and in the build dir, but i keep getting the core

How can i test an build and install part for zoneinfo

If i go into the dir /usr/src/share/zoneinfo and do make install it does
not work, do i need to add something?

Thank you both for your time

>> --
>> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
>> E-mail: [hidden email]
>> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

Re: sort.core error doing installworld on Current.

David Wolfskill
On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 12:24:41PM +0200, Johan Hendriks wrote:

> Op 17-04-2020 om 03:31 schreef Rodney W. Grimes:
> I have no idea how to bypass this issue.

Sorry; I was busy with work stuff when your original post came by.

IIRC, you had several system components excluded from building (on your
build machine); do you also have them excluded on the target machine(s)?
That is, /etc/src.conf on each target machines needs to specify (the
installation of) no more than what was built on the build machine.

I have been doing this (bild on a more pawerful machine; mount on
less-powerful machine via NFS; install) routinely (every Sunday)
for the last several years; it's when I have managed to neglect to
ensure the above property that I have encountered such "weirdness."

Ref. http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/FreeBSD/upgrade.html

Peace and good health,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill [hidden email]
Please read https://www.speaker.gov/newsroom/41420-0

See http://www.catwhisker.org/~david/publickey.gpg for my public key.

Re: sort.core error doing installworld on Current.

Rodney W. Grimes-6

> >> Please forgive that awful post! I missed a part of your message by laziness.
> >>
> >> It's odd that the error of sort(1) crashing was not caught by the script.
> > Yes, that is a Makefile flaw someplace.
> > Further there must be a wildcard being used to decide which files to
> > install, that is a further Makefile flaw.  Wildcards should NOT be used
> > in the source of an install list, exactly because of this type of cruft
> > that can be dropped in an obj dir.
> >
> >> Clearly, sort should NOT crash! Again, a re-build of zoneinfo might catch
> >> something. Looking at the core might tell you which "sort" was involved...
> >> the one you just built or the one in the base system. This could be just a
> >> FOTU, but I would not bet on it.
> > I suspect a recent zoneinfo commit as the root cause.
> >
> I have no idea how to bypass this issue.
> I have used sort from the latest snapshot and placed that file on the
> system and in the build dir, but i keep getting the core
>
> How can i test an build and install part for zoneinfo
>
> If i go into the dir /usr/src/share/zoneinfo and do make install it does
> not work, do i need to add something?

Can you show us the output from
cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
make clean && make depend && make all && make install
Someplace in that we should get to see sort crashing...

> Thank you both for your time
>
> >> --
> >> Kevin Oberman, Part time kid herder and retired Network Engineer
> >> E-mail: [hidden email]
> >> PGP Fingerprint: D03FB98AFA78E3B78C1694B318AB39EF1B055683

Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Re: sort.core error doing installworld on Current.

Rodney W. Grimes-6

> > > Yes, that is a Makefile flaw someplace.
> > > Further there must be a wildcard being used to decide which files to
> > > install, that is a further Makefile flaw.  Wildcards should NOT be used
> > > in the source of an install list, exactly because of this type of cruft
> > > that can be dropped in an obj dir.

From src/share/zoneinfo/Makefile at about line 93:
92  if make(*install*)
93  TZS!= cd ${TZBUILDDIR} && find * -type f | LC_ALL=C sort
                                 ^^^^ this is a very bad thing to do in a Makefile.

94  .endif

Now I still don't know why sort cored, but I am sure this is the line that did it.

> > > I suspect a recent zoneinfo commit as the root cause.
> > >
> > I have no idea how to bypass this issue.
> > I have used sort from the latest snapshot and placed that file on the
> > system and in the build dir, but i keep getting the core
> >
> > How can i test an build and install part for zoneinfo
> >
> > If i go into the dir /usr/src/share/zoneinfo and do make install it does
> > not work, do i need to add something?
>
> Can you show us the output from
> cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
> make clean && make depend && make all && make install
> Someplace in that we should get to see sort crashing...
>

> > Thank you both for your time

> Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Rod Grimes                                                 [hidden email]

Op 17-04-2020 om 12:47 schreef Rodney W. Grimes:

>  From src/share/zoneinfo/Makefile at about line 93:
> 92  if make(*install*)
> 93  TZS!= cd ${TZBUILDDIR} && find * -type f | LC_ALL=C sort
>                                   ^^^^ this is a very bad thing to do in a Makefile.
>
> 94  .endif
>
> Now I still don't know why sort cored, but I am sure this is the line that did it.

>>> I have no idea how to bypass this issue.
>>> I have used sort from the latest snapshot and placed that file on the
>>> system and in the build dir, but i keep getting the core
>>>
>>> How can i test an build and install part for zoneinfo
>>>
>>> If i go into the dir /usr/src/share/zoneinfo and do make install it does
>>> not work, do i need to add something?
>> Can you show us the output from
>> cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
>> make clean && make depend && make all && make install
>> Someplace in that we should get to see sort crashing...

On both machines my src.conf file is the same.

I will start over from a clean world by doing a make cleanworld and see
if it then still gives the errors
Maybe some old artifacts are hanging around.

Op 17-04-2020 om 13:30 schreef Johan Hendriks:

>>  From src/share/zoneinfo/Makefile at about line 93:
>> 92  if make(*install*)
>> 93  TZS!= cd ${TZBUILDDIR} && find * -type f | LC_ALL=C sort
>>                                   ^^^^ this is a very bad thing to do
>> in a Makefile.
>>
>> 94  .endif
>>
>> Now I still don't know why sort cored, but I am sure this is the line
>> that did it.

>>> Can you show us the output from
>>> cd /usr/src/share/zoneinfo
>>> make clean && make depend && make all && make install
>>> Someplace in that we should get to see sort crashing...
>>>
> On both machines my src.conf file is the same.
>
> I will start over from a clean world by doing a make cleanworld and
> see if it then still gives the errors
> Maybe some old artifacts are hanging around.

>>> --
>>> Rod Grimes [hidden email]
>>> "[hidden email]"

I have rebuild everything on the host and did a make cleanworld.
Al is fine now.
I should have done that before i asked here.
Sorry to have wasted your time.
But we did find a Makefile that should be doing things differently.

regards
Johan

Ordering of files in zoneinfo [Was Re: sort.core error doing installworld on Current.]

Xin LI-5
Hi,

Thanks for raising this.

I have took a look at the change history, it seems that the find operation
was introduced in r245265
<https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=245265> (brooks@,
to support packaged base) and sort was initially implemented as find -s in
r289451 <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=289451>
(ngie@, to make METALOG reproducible) then as sort in r328958
<https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=328958> (imp@, for
portability).

I wonder if we could drop the sort and replace ${TZS} in line 100 with
${TZS:O} instead?

By the way, looking at
https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/blob/master/libpkg/metalog.c , I wonder if
the sort should really happen in pkg(8) instead?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM Johan Hendriks <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> >>  From src/share/zoneinfo/Makefile at about line 93:
> >> 92  if make(*install*)
> >> 93  TZS!= cd ${TZBUILDDIR} && find * -type f | LC_ALL=C sort
> >>                                   ^^^^ this is a very bad thing to do
> >> in a Makefile.
> >>
> >> 94  .endif
> >>
> >> Now I still don't know why sort cored, but I am sure this is the line
> >> that did it.

> > On both machines my src.conf file is the same.
> >
> > I will start over from a clean world by doing a make cleanworld and
> > see if it then still gives the errors
> > Maybe some old artifacts are hanging around.

> I have rebuild everything on the host and did a make cleanworld.
> Al is fine now.
> I should have done that before i asked here.
> Sorry to have wasted your time.
> But we did find a Makefile that should be doing things differently.
>
> regards
> Johan

Re: Ordering of files in zoneinfo [Was Re: sort.core error doing installworld on Current.]

Warner Losh
On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 10:45 AM Xin LI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for raising this.
>
> I have took a look at the change history, it seems that the find operation
> was introduced in r245265
> <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=245265> (brooks@,
> to support packaged base) and sort was initially implemented as find -s in
> r289451 <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=289451>
> (ngie@, to make METALOG reproducible) then as sort in r328958
> <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=328958> (imp@,
> for portability).
>
> I wonder if we could drop the sort and replace ${TZS} in line 100 with
> ${TZS:O} instead?

I haven't thought carefully about that, but a quick look suggests that it's
OK. It happens in a bootstrapped make, so that will work everywhere which
addresses the issues around r328958. Using TZS:O should give us the same
built-to-build stability we need. I don't recall the issue with a lot of
clarity, so there's small chance I'm missing something.

Warner

> By the way, looking at
> https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/blob/master/libpkg/metalog.c , I wonder if
> the sort should really happen in pkg(8) instead?
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 7:28 AM Johan Hendriks <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> > On both machines my src.conf file is the same.
>> >
>> > I will start over from a clean world by doing a make cleanworld and
>> > see if it then still gives the errors
>> > Maybe some old artifacts are hanging around.

>> I have rebuild everything on the host and did a make cleanworld.
>> Al is fine now.
>> I should have done that before i asked here.
>> Sorry to have wasted your time.
>> But we did find a Makefile that should be doing things differently.
>>
>> regards
>> Johan

Re: Ordering of files in zoneinfo

Fabian Keil-2
Xin LI <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have took a look at the change history, it seems that the find
> operation was introduced in r245265
> <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=245265> (brooks@,
> to support packaged base) and sort was initially implemented as find -s
> in r289451
> <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=289451> (ngie@,
> to make METALOG reproducible) then as sort in r328958
> <https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=328958> (imp@,
> for portability).
>
> I wonder if we could drop the sort and replace ${TZS} in line 100 with
> ${TZS:O} instead?

Makes sense to me.

> By the way, looking at
> https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/blob/master/libpkg/metalog.c , I wonder if
> the sort should really happen in pkg(8) instead?

Currently the METALOG is also used when creating the tarballs so sorting
only in pkg would be insufficient as long as tarballs are still supported.

Fabian

Re: Ordering of files in zoneinfo

Ed Maste-2
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 07:23, Fabian Keil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I wonder if we could drop the sort and replace ${TZS} in line 100 with
> > ${TZS:O} instead?
>
> Makes sense to me.

Agreed, that seems sensible.

> > By the way, looking at
> > https://github.com/freebsd/pkg/blob/master/libpkg/metalog.c , I wonder if
> > the sort should really happen in pkg(8) instead?
>
> Currently the METALOG is also used when creating the tarballs so sorting
> only in pkg would be insufficient as long as tarballs are still supported.

I think there are other reasons we'd like to keep METALOG itself in
deterministic order too, even if pkg can take care of it -- for
example, issues like PR234886 can be triggered by ordering (even
though the root cause is elsewhere and TZ ordering isn't going to lead
to exactly that kind of issue).