sparc64 for the bin ??

Craig Butler
Howdy Folks

Is FreeBSD finally pulling the plug on sparc64 ?

https://reviews.freebsd.org/D10052

seems to suggest out before 12...

Thanks

/Craig

Re: sparc64 for the bin ??

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 08:48:55PM +0100, Craig Butler wrote:
> Is FreeBSD finally pulling the plug on sparc64 ?

I've given up arguing with the src developers.  Enough want to
see it removed that it's not worth me continuing to fight it.

I haven't been doing ports builds since December.  I am too
far behind on other tasks.

mcl

Re: sparc64 for the bin ??

Joshua Pincus
I'm confused.  Why remove it at all?  What harm is there in keeping the
arch there?
JP

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Mark Linimon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 08:48:55PM +0100, Craig Butler wrote:
> > Is FreeBSD finally pulling the plug on sparc64 ?
>
> I've given up arguing with the src developers.  Enough want to
> see it removed that it's not worth me continuing to fight it.
>
> I haven't been doing ports builds since December.  I am too
> far behind on other tasks.
>
> mcl

Re: sparc64 for the bin ??

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 04:31:20PM -0400, Joshua Pincus wrote:
> I'm confused.  Why remove it at all?  What harm is there in keeping the
> arch there?

The src committers claim that having it slows down their work on other
problems due to the extra test time.

mcl

Re: sparc64 for the bin ??

Joshua Pincus
Hi,

Is there no way to leave it as an unsupported arch of some kind?  If
someone wants to use it, they will need to test it accordingly.  Dumping it
in this way seems short-sighted and unnecessary.

JP

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 4:37 PM, Mark Linimon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 04:31:20PM -0400, Joshua Pincus wrote:
> > I'm confused.  Why remove it at all?  What harm is there in keeping the
> > arch there?
>
> The src committers claim that having it slows down their work on other
> problems due to the extra test time.
>
> mcl

Re: sparc64 for the bin ??

Mark Linimon-2
On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 04:43:17PM -0400, Joshua Pincus wrote:
> Is there no way to leave it as an unsupported arch of some kind?

Per the official support page, stable/11 will be supported through
September 30, 2021.  So even if sparc64 src is deleted from 12, it
will still be usable on 11 through that time:

  https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup

I suppose we could try to convince the src people to leave it in the
tree for 12, but merely disconnected; however, I think once it's
disconnected it will just bitrot.  That was certainly the fate of
the alpha arch.  (Given that FreeBSD src was under a much more rapid
rate of change in that timeframe.)

mcl