suggestions for SATA RAID cards

123

suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Willem Jan Withagen
Hi,

I've ran into sort of a snag with building a 2T file server.
Given all the good press here for 3ware and the talk to the guys at the CeBIT
I decided to go for a 9550SX-LP8.
With that I bought a ASUS serverboard: K8N-LR with 165 dual core opteron.

In itself is this a combo that I thing would do for a long time at my home. ;)

However the 3ware controler decided not to play nice with 2 of the PCI-X
boards I have here. It gets stuck in the bios disc scan. I've RMA-ed the card,
but my guess is that it'll take a too long a time to fix/replace it for my
patience.

So I'm looking for alternatives with good support under amd64. I've seen that
the Adaptecs are supported under aac(4). But what about Promisse or Highpoint
RAID controllers?

Thanx,
--WjW

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Steven Hartland
The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good
for its price and the later cards have better performance still apparently.
N.B. Use the min stripe size when creating the array for max performance
with this card under FreeBSD.

    Steve

Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've ran into sort of a snag with building a 2T file server.
> Given all the good press here for 3ware and the talk to the guys at
> the CeBIT I decided to go for a 9550SX-LP8.
> With that I bought a ASUS serverboard: K8N-LR with 165 dual core
> opteron.
>
> In itself is this a combo that I thing would do for a long time at my
> home. ;)
>
> However the 3ware controler decided not to play nice with 2 of the
> PCI-X boards I have here. It gets stuck in the bios disc scan. I've
> RMA-ed the card, but my guess is that it'll take a too long a time to
> fix/replace it for my patience.
>
> So I'm looking for alternatives with good support under amd64. I've
> seen that the Adaptecs are supported under aac(4). But what about
> Promisse or Highpoint RAID controllers?

or return the E.mail to [hidden email].

Steven Hartland wrote:
> The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good
> for its price and the later cards have better performance still apparently.
> N.B. Use the min stripe size when creating the array for max performance
> with this card under FreeBSD.

I was more thinking along the lines of a HighPoint 2720, but perhaps a 1820
would also do fine. What device driver would one use with that.

[Ahhh, 'man -k highpoint' is your friend]
Now what I liked about the 3ware stuff was that there are tools to work the
raid from within FreeBSD. So that would require the newers ones...

But the hardware list is only showing the 2320 and 2322 with a rr232x(4)
driver. Which sort of makes me wonder for all the other stuff and their drivers.

The motherboard has both PCI-X and PCI-E so that should not be a connector
problem. Now which bus is faster: 64Bit PCI-X at 133 Mhz, or a PCI-E 16x?

--WjW

Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> Steven Hartland wrote:
>> The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good
>> for its price and the later cards have better performance still
>> apparently. N.B. Use the min stripe size when creating the array for
>> max performance with this card under FreeBSD.
>
> I was more thinking along the lines of a HighPoint 2720, but perhaps
> a 1820 would also do fine. What device driver would one use with that.

I've had no direct experience with the newer cards I'm afraid so cant
comment. If you go for the 1820 it must be the 1820a which is hardware
raid vs the 1820 which is software.

> [Ahhh, 'man -k highpoint' is your friend]
> Now what I liked about the 3ware stuff was that there are tools to
> work the raid from within FreeBSD. So that would require the newers
> ones...

All the tools for the 1820a work nicely under FreeBSD 6.1 :)

> But the hardware list is only showing the 2320 and 2322 with a
> rr232x(4) driver. Which sort of makes me wonder for all the other
> stuff and their drivers.

232x has native support but I've never heard of the 2720 not even
mentioned on their site 2220 perhaps? This has a driver for FreeBSD
also including an open source version.

> The motherboard has both PCI-X and PCI-E so that should not be a
> connector problem. Now which bus is faster: 64Bit PCI-X at 133 Mhz,
> or a PCI-E 16x?

Not really the right question as most cards are only x1 PCI-E cards.
That said I dont know for sure but I suspect they have very similar
capabilites.

    Steve

or return the E.mail to [hidden email].

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Bob Willcox
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:02:47PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> Steven Hartland wrote:
> >The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good
> >for its price and the later cards have better performance still apparently.
> >N.B. Use the min stripe size when creating the array for max performance
> >with this card under FreeBSD.
>
> I was more thinking along the lines of a HighPoint 2720, but perhaps a 1820
> would also do fine. What device driver would one use with that.
>
> [Ahhh, 'man -k highpoint' is your friend]
> Now what I liked about the 3ware stuff was that there are tools to work the
> raid from within FreeBSD. So that would require the newers ones...
>
> But the hardware list is only showing the 2320 and 2322 with a rr232x(4)
> driver. Which sort of makes me wonder for all the other stuff and their
> drivers.
>
> The motherboard has both PCI-X and PCI-E so that should not be a connector
> problem. Now which bus is faster: 64Bit PCI-X at 133 Mhz, or a PCI-E 16x?

The x16 PCI-E has considerably faster theoretical speed than 133 PCI-X
(appx. 4GBs vs. 1GBs). However, the RAID controllers that I've seen are
at most x8 so they are only capable of transfer rates half that fast
(2GBs). Personally, I would go with PCI-E since in some performance
tests I did with Areca cards last year (both PCI-E and PCI-X) there
appeared to be a slight performance advantage to the PCI-E cards (sorry,
I don't recall any of the specifics anymore, so please take that for
what it's worth).

BTW, I've had good experience with the Areca cards in FreeBSD (recent
stable).

Bob

> --WjW
>
> >Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I've ran into sort of a snag with building a 2T file server.
> >>Given all the good press here for 3ware and the talk to the guys at
> >>the CeBIT I decided to go for a 9550SX-LP8.
> >>With that I bought a ASUS serverboard: K8N-LR with 165 dual core
> >>opteron.
> >>In itself is this a combo that I thing would do for a long time at my
> >>home. ;)
> >>However the 3ware controler decided not to play nice with 2 of the
> >>PCI-X boards I have here. It gets stuck in the bios disc scan. I've
> >>RMA-ed the card, but my guess is that it'll take a too long a time to
> >>fix/replace it for my patience.
> >>
> >>So I'm looking for alternatives with good support under amd64. I've
> >>seen that the Adaptecs are supported under aac(4). But what about
> >>Promisse or Highpoint RAID controllers?

Bob Willcox                       Possessions increase to fill the space
[hidden email]                    available for their storage.
Austin, TX                               -- Ryan

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Greg Martin-7
I find it hard to believe nobody has mentioned 3ware, they are a bit
more expensive but you pay for top notch quality, stability...

Their newer cards support PCI-X and SATA II /w hotswap.

-Greg

Greg Martin wrote:
> I find it hard to believe nobody has mentioned 3ware, they are a bit
> more expensive but you pay for top notch quality, stability...
>
> Their newer cards support PCI-X and SATA II /w hotswap.

Well the message started by saying that I got caught by a 3ware card that did
not want to play nice with me.....
So I guess nobody deared suggesting another 3ware card.
;)

--WjW

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Freddie Cash-3
On Wed, August 23, 2006 1:02 am, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:

> I've ran into sort of a snag with building a 2T file server. Given
> all the good press here for 3ware and the talk to the guys at the
> CeBIT I decided to go for a 9550SX-LP8. With that I bought a ASUS
> serverboard: K8N-LR with 165 dual core opteron.
>
> In itself is this a combo that I thing would do for a long time at my
>  home. ;)
>
> However the 3ware controler decided not to play nice with 2 of the
> PCI-X boards I have here. It gets stuck in the bios disc scan. I've
> RMA-ed the card, but my guess is that it'll take a too long a time to
> fix/replace it for my patience.

Odd.  We've had nothing but success with 3Ware Escalade controllers.
7000-series on 32-bit FreeBSD 6.0 with PATA drivers, 9000-series on
32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD 6.1 and Debian testing, 9550-series on
32-bit and 64-bit FreeBSD 6.1 and Debian testing.  Plugged directly
into a 64-bit/133 MHz PCI-X slot, or plugged into a 64-bit/100 MHz
riser card, on Tyan Thunder K8S, K8SD, and K8SD-Pro motherboards.

Haven't tried with any other motherboards, though.

I've heard good things about Areca's line of SATA RAID controllers.
Supposedly, they're the fastest things around, with good Linux and
FreeBSD support.  Haven't tried them, personally, though.

> So I'm looking for alternatives with good support under amd64. I've
> seen that the Adaptecs are supported under aac(4). But what about
> Promisse or Highpoint RAID controllers?

Avoid Promise and Highpoint, as it's very easy to get a hybrid,
non-hardware RAID controller from them, when you think you're getting
a true hardware controller, and support is spotty for most of their
cards.

----
Freddie Cash

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Greg Martin-7

> Well the message started by saying that I got caught by a 3ware card that did
> not want to play nice with me.....
> So I guess nobody deared suggesting another 3ware card.
> ;)

My apologies, I now understand its a hardware issue.  Before you toss
the 3ware completely try the following (although I am sure you have)

1. Force PCI-x 64bit in the bios on the slot
2. Disable APIC or force old APIC mode
3. Disable onboard raid and/or SATA controller if its avail.

My experience with some boards you really have to tweak around to get
pci-x going.

Sorry if I've wasted your time !

-Greg

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Nikolas Britton
On 8/23/06, Willem Jan Withagen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've ran into sort of a snag with building a 2T file server.
> Given all the good press here for 3ware and the talk to the guys at the CeBIT
> I decided to go for a 9550SX-LP8.
> With that I bought a ASUS serverboard: K8N-LR with 165 dual core opteron.
>
> In itself is this a combo that I thing would do for a long time at my home. ;)
>
> However the 3ware controler decided not to play nice with 2 of the PCI-X
> boards I have here. It gets stuck in the bios disc scan.

Disable int 13. The card is probably trying to load it's boot BIOS and
another card is interfering with it... I had a Promise card that loved
to f**k with my HighPoint controller. The solution to the problem was
disabling int 13 on the HighPoint card by re-flashing the cards BIOS
with a special switch set, I didn't need to boot from this card
anyways.

> So I'm looking for alternatives with good support under amd64. I've seen that
> the Adaptecs are supported under aac(4). But what about Promisse or Highpoint
> RAID controllers?

Stay away from Adaptec and Promise because they don't support FreeBSD.
I would recommend Areca and/or HighPoint because they do officially
support FreeBSD. 3Ware does support FreeBSD but I don't have
experience with their cards so I can't say anything good or bad about
them.

If you want to go 64-bit Areca drivers are open source and the FreeBSD
man page states that they work on amd64.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/

Greg Martin wrote:

>> Well the message started by saying that I got caught by a 3ware card that did
>> not want to play nice with me.....
>> So I guess nobody deared suggesting another 3ware card.
>> ;)
>
> My apologies, I now understand its a hardware issue.  Before you toss
> the 3ware completely try the following (although I am sure you have)
>
> 1. Force PCI-x 64bit in the bios on the slot
> 2. Disable APIC or force old APIC mode
> 3. Disable onboard raid and/or SATA controller if its avail.
>
> My experience with some boards you really have to tweak around to get
> pci-x going.

Thanx for the usefull suggestions.

However: I've already returned the board to the supplier after I fiddled for
about a day with the bios.  Which was very cumbersome, since every change
required:
        power off
        remove card
        power on
        change bios
        power off
        insert card
        power on
        test.....
En start all over.

On 8/23/06, Bob Willcox <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:02:47PM +0200, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
> > Steven Hartland wrote:
> > >The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good
> > >for its price and the later cards have better performance still apparently.
> > >N.B. Use the min stripe size when creating the array for max performance
> > >with this card under FreeBSD.
> >
> > I was more thinking along the lines of a HighPoint 2720, but perhaps a 1820
> > would also do fine. What device driver would one use with that.
> >
> > [Ahhh, 'man -k highpoint' is your friend]
> > Now what I liked about the 3ware stuff was that there are tools to work the
> > raid from within FreeBSD. So that would require the newers ones...
> >
> > But the hardware list is only showing the 2320 and 2322 with a rr232x(4)
> > driver. Which sort of makes me wonder for all the other stuff and their
> > drivers.
> >
> > The motherboard has both PCI-X and PCI-E so that should not be a connector
> > problem. Now which bus is faster: 64Bit PCI-X at 133 Mhz, or a PCI-E 16x?
>
> The x16 PCI-E has considerably faster theoretical speed than 133 PCI-X
> (appx. 4GBs vs. 1GBs). However, the RAID controllers that I've seen are
> at most x8 so they are only capable of transfer rates half that fast
> (2GBs). Personally, I would go with PCI-E since in some performance
> tests I did with Areca cards last year (both PCI-E and PCI-X) there
> appeared to be a slight performance advantage to the PCI-E cards (sorry,
> I don't recall any of the specifics anymore, so please take that for
> what it's worth).

I agree. PCIe 8x is a faster bus and it's typically connected directly
to the MCH (north bridge) unlike PCI-X which is stuck on the ICH
(south bridge). Also the 2GB/s that was quoted for PCIe 8x is it's
one-way data rate "after" calculating in overhead. It's a dual simplex
interface meaning it has one path to send data and another path to
receive data. Imagine a simple two lane road.

On 8/23/06, Nikolas Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/23/06, Bob Willcox <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I was more thinking along the lines of a HighPoint 2720, but perhaps a 1820
> > > would also do fine. What device driver would one use with that.
> > >
> > > [Ahhh, 'man -k highpoint' is your friend]
> > > Now what I liked about the 3ware stuff was that there are tools to work the
> > > raid from within FreeBSD. So that would require the newers ones...
> > >
> > > But the hardware list is only showing the 2320 and 2322 with a rr232x(4)
> > > driver. Which sort of makes me wonder for all the other stuff and their
> > > drivers.
> > >
> > > The motherboard has both PCI-X and PCI-E so that should not be a connector
> > > problem. Now which bus is faster: 64Bit PCI-X at 133 Mhz, or a PCI-E 16x?
> >
> > The x16 PCI-E has considerably faster theoretical speed than 133 PCI-X
> > (appx. 4GBs vs. 1GBs). However, the RAID controllers that I've seen are
> > at most x8 so they are only capable of transfer rates half that fast
> > (2GBs). Personally, I would go with PCI-E since in some performance
> > tests I did with Areca cards last year (both PCI-E and PCI-X) there
> > appeared to be a slight performance advantage to the PCI-E cards (sorry,
> > I don't recall any of the specifics anymore, so please take that for
> > what it's worth).
> >

> I agree. PCIe 8x is a faster bus and it's typically connected directly
> to the MCH (north bridge) unlike PCI-X which is stuck on the ICH
> (south bridge). Also the 2GB/s that was quoted for PCIe 8x is it's
> one-way data rate "after" calculating in overhead. It's a dual simplex
> interface meaning it has one path to send data and another path to
> receive data. Imagine a simple two lane road.

I take that back. For PCIe 8x imagine a divided highway with 8 lanes
in each direction. The speed limit for each lane of traffic is
250MegaBytes/sec. So if you can move 8 semi-trucks filled with data in
parallel your effective data rate is 2GigaBytes/sec. simple eh? :-)

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/
http://freebsdforall.blogspot.com/

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Dan Langille
On 23 Aug 2006 at 10:05, Greg Martin wrote:

> I find it hard to believe nobody has mentioned 3ware, they are a bit
> more expensive but you pay for top notch quality, stability...
>
> Their newer cards support PCI-X and SATA II /w hotswap.

3Ware came to my party when setting up a new server for FreeBSD Diary
and co.  They sent me a 9550SX-8LP.  The only problem I had was
solved with a firmware upgrade.  So far, I've build the RAID10 array
with 8 Raptors (6 live, 2 hot swap) and created a NetSaint plugin for
it.

I do like their CLI interface.  It is very comprehensive:
http://www.freebsddiary.org/3ware-9550SX-8LP-cli.php

I can confirm the hot-swap works for me.

More details of my 9550SX-8LP experience are in these articles:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/topics.php?aid=606

cheers

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Francisco Reyes-2
Dan Langille writes:

> On 23 Aug 2006 at 10:05, Greg Martin wrote:
>
>> I find it hard to believe nobody has mentioned 3ware, they are a bit
>> more expensive but you pay for top notch quality, stability...

3wares once they are up and running they seem reliable.. but of 6 (maybe 7)
controllers we have got so far.. 2 of them have had problems and needed to
be replaced. Not exactly very good percentage of defect. :-(

> I do like their CLI interface.  It is very comprehensive:
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/3ware-9550SX-8LP-cli.php

Have you tried the web interface?
It's much nicer than CLI.. and you can set it up to listen only on 127 and
then do a port forward with SSH.

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Andreas Klemm
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:23:00AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good

Many many years ago I bought a HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller.
Thought its a good deal because it was cheap.
Thought, an ATA interface can't be that complicated anymore
so that its safe to buy a cheap product.

Turned out that I was very wrong with my theorie.
I ran into timeout problems, that couldn't be fixed.

After days and nights of troubleshooting and testing
I didn't get it to work reliably.

I replaced it by buying a more expensive Promise controller.
Since then I had zero problems.

Since that time I lost trust in HighPoint products.

Good stuff has its price. It must not always be the
most expensive hardware. But going with the cheapest
(and I assume the HighPoint product will again be
in the low price segment) can be troublesome.

        Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 6
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/

On 8/24/06, Andreas Klemm <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 09:23:00AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:
> > The Areca cards I can recommend. Highpoint 1820a is surprisingly good
>
> Many many years ago I bought a HighPoint HPT366 ATA66 controller.
> Thought its a good deal because it was cheap.
> Thought, an ATA interface can't be that complicated anymore
> so that its safe to buy a cheap product.
>
> Turned out that I was very wrong with my theorie.
> I ran into timeout problems, that couldn't be fixed.
>
> After days and nights of troubleshooting and testing
> I didn't get it to work reliably.
>
> I replaced it by buying a more expensive Promise controller.
> Since then I had zero problems.
>
> Since that time I lost trust in HighPoint products.
>
> Good stuff has its price. It must not always be the
> most expensive hardware. But going with the cheapest
> (and I assume the HighPoint product will again be
> in the low price segment) can be troublesome.

As the owner of a HPT2220 and HPT1820A I have nothing but good things
to say about it. In fact my experience is the inverse of yours. I've
had nothing but problems with my Promise card. To make matters worse
Promise doesn't support FreeBSD... No drivers, No docs, Nothing.
HighPoint does support FreeBSD by providing their own FreeBSD drivers
and HighPoint's code is in FreeBSD. The one bad thing I have to say
about HighPoint is that their drivers are locked up in binary blobs.
Areca's drivers on the other hand are fully open sourced and they have
the fastest SATA hardware in the land thanks to the onboard 600MHz
Intel XScale IOP and DDR333 cache.

http://tweakers.net/reviews/557/1

Their new hardware (coming soon) will have a 800MHz XScale with DDR2-533 cache.

This is from an ARC-1220 with 256MB cache and 7x300GB drives in RAID6:
> diskinfo -t da0
da0
        512             # sectorsize
        1499999764480   # mediasize in bytes (1.4T)
        2929687040      # mediasize in sectors
        182364          # Cylinders according to firmware.
        255             # Heads according to firmware.
        63              # Sectors according to firmware.

Seek times:
        Full stroke:      250 iter in   5.022332 sec =   20.089 msec
        Half stroke:      250 iter in   3.809019 sec =   15.236 msec
        Quarter stroke:   500 iter in   4.055315 sec =    8.111 msec
        Short forward:    400 iter in   0.998948 sec =    2.497 msec
        Short backward:   400 iter in   2.519062 sec =    6.298 msec
        Seq outer:       2048 iter in   0.187788 sec =    0.092 msec
        Seq inner:       2048 iter in   0.219632 sec =    0.107 msec
Transfer rates:
        outside:       102400 kbytes in   0.353485 sec =   289687 kbytes/sec
        middle:        102400 kbytes in   0.372773 sec =   274698 kbytes/sec
        inside:        102400 kbytes in   0.543272 sec =   188488 kbytes/sec

Chad Leigh has an ARC-1130 with 1GB cache and he's getting even better
numbers (300~400MB/s) using ZFS + Solaris Express.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/
http://freebsdforall.blogspot.com/

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Daniel O'Connor-3
On Thursday 24 August 2006 01:16, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> Stay away from Adaptec and Promise because they don't support FreeBSD.
> I would recommend Areca and/or HighPoint because they do officially
> support FreeBSD. 3Ware does support FreeBSD but I don't have
> experience with their cards so I can't say anything good or bad about
> them.

I believe Promise *do* support FreeBSD quite a bit.

Certainly Soren's commit messages indicate that.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum

On 8/24/06, Daniel O'Connor <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thursday 24 August 2006 01:16, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> > Stay away from Adaptec and Promise because they don't support FreeBSD.
> > I would recommend Areca and/or HighPoint because they do officially
> > support FreeBSD. 3Ware does support FreeBSD but I don't have
> > experience with their cards so I can't say anything good or bad about
> > them.
>
> I believe Promise *do* support FreeBSD quite a bit.

Maybe as an after thought. I also don't see any link on their site for
FreeBSD support, lets check google:

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site%3Awww.promise.com+FreeBSD

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site%3Ahighpoint-tech.com+FreeBSD

So 7 Links Vs. 90 Links. Also if you click on that first link google
gives you, about the up coming RAID6 SuperTrak EX4350 and EX12350 with
support for FreeBSD etc.. Those card are clones of Areca's ARC-1210
and ARC-1230 cards... Striped down clones at that, they only have a
500MHz XScale IOP333... Areca is already moving from the 600MHz XScale
IOP333 to the 800MHz XScale IOP341 with DDR2-533 support... Hell I bet
they're just going to patch arcmsr(4) and call it there own. Areca's
Erich Chen put a lot of work into arcmsr(4). There wouldn't be an
arcmsr(4) in FreeBSD if it wasn't for Areca commitment to support
FreeBSD. Now we have Promise trying to claim they support FreeBSD by
patching a few lines of code from another company. Butch of BS is what
that is.

--
BSD Podcasts @:
http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/
http://freebsdforall.blogspot.com/

Re: suggestions for SATA RAID cards

Scott-111
I have to agree - I did as much research as I could trying to find a raid
card that natively supports BSD. I tried a Highpoint card and I returned
it because it was a complete hack. Claiming support for BSD (version 4 no
less) with a binary driver and no management software is not support! I
have never seen anyone using Promise cards in a production environment
because they do the same thing. Maybe recently they have improved but I
doubt it.

Don't misunderstand my statements - I have nothing against any of those
companies, but they do seem to hitch free rides off of claiming support
for linux/BSD.

Scott