testing different Java dependency?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

testing different Java dependency?

Robert Huff

Hello:
        Java novice here.
        Suppose I have a port - FOO - built and running with openjdk-12.
        I'd like to test it with openjdk-14 _without_ changing the
settings in make.conf.
        Is there an command-line arguement I can feed make that will
cause that to happen?  Assume I have installed openjdk-14.
        (I looked at bsd.java.mk ... my eyes glazed over ... and I backed
carefully out of the room.)


                        Respectfully,


                                Robert Huff

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: testing different Java dependency?

Ronald Klop
Hi,

Can't you just install openjdk14 and start the application with /usr/local/openjdk14/bin/java?

A port like net-mgmt/unifi5 has a rc.conf setting unifi_java_home="/usr/local/openjdk11" which you can set to deviate from the default JDK.

Regards,
Ronald.

 
Van: Robert Huff <[hidden email]>
Datum: vrijdag, 28 augustus 2020 05:55
Aan: [hidden email]
CC: Robert Huff <[hidden email]>
Onderwerp: testing different Java dependency?

>
>
> Hello:
>     Java novice here.
>     Suppose I have a port - FOO - built and running with openjdk-12.
>     I'd like to test it with openjdk-14 _without_ changing the
> settings in make.conf.
>     Is there an command-line arguement I can feed make that will
> cause that to happen?  Assume I have installed openjdk-14.
>     (I looked at bsd.java.mk ... my eyes glazed over ... and I backed
> carefully out of the room.)
>
>
>             Respectfully,
>
>
>                 Robert Huff
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: testing different Java dependency?

Greg Lewis-2
In reply to this post by Robert Huff
The environment variable you're probably looking for is
JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS.  Whether that has the effect you want will also
depend on what the port allows in terms of Java versions.  E.g. if a
port has JAVA_VERSION=11 then it is signalling that will only use a JDK
of that version, no matter what you set as your preference.

Also, as the previous reply implied, how that effects individual ports
at run time isn't consistent.

-- Greg

On 2020-08-27 20:55, Robert Huff wrote:

> Hello:
> Java novice here.
> Suppose I have a port - FOO - built and running with openjdk-12.
> I'd like to test it with openjdk-14 _without_ changing the
> settings in make.conf.
> Is there an command-line arguement I can feed make that will
> cause that to happen?  Assume I have installed openjdk-14.
> (I looked at bsd.java.mk ... my eyes glazed over ... and I backed
> carefully out of the room.)
>
>
> Respectfully,
>
>
> Robert Huff
>
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: testing different Java dependency?

freebsd-java mailing list
some time ago I had described how I switch java versions  system wide here :

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/howto-permanently-set-switch-shell-path-to-java-vm.71419/

Regards
Klaus

> Am 04.09.2020 um 00:05 schrieb Greg Lewis <[hidden email]>:
>
> The environment variable you're probably looking for is
> JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS.  Whether that has the effect you want will also
> depend on what the port allows in terms of Java versions.  E.g. if a
> port has JAVA_VERSION=11 then it is signalling that will only use a JDK
> of that version, no matter what you set as your preference.
>
> Also, as the previous reply implied, how that effects individual ports
> at run time isn't consistent.
>
> -- Greg



> Am 28.08.2020 um 13:49 schrieb Ronald Klop <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi,
>
> Can't you just install openjdk14 and start the application with /usr/local/openjdk14/bin/java?
>
> A port like net-mgmt/unifi5 has a rc.conf setting unifi_java_home="/usr/local/openjdk11" which you can set to deviate from the default JDK.
>
> Regards,
> Ronald.

>
> On 2020-08-27 20:55, Robert Huff wrote:
>> Hello:
>> Java novice here.
>> Suppose I have a port - FOO - built and running with openjdk-12.
>> I'd like to test it with openjdk-14 _without_ changing the
>> settings in make.conf.
>> Is there an command-line arguement I can feed make that will
>> cause that to happen?  Assume I have installed openjdk-14.
>> (I looked at bsd.java.mk ... my eyes glazed over ... and I backed
>> carefully out of the room.)
>>
>>
>> Respectfully,
>>
>>
>> Robert Huff
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> [hidden email] mailing list
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"

_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
https://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-java
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"