top(1): adding grep like selection and system processes

top(1): adding grep like selection and system processes

Christian Barthel-5
Hello,

I've added two features that I (personally) found useful in top(1):

A grep-like feature to filter command names in top(1) (inspired by the
OpenBSD top version).  One example may be to filter out all current
virtual machines by using "top -g bhyve" or interactively with "g
bhyve". (there was already a selection field ps.command; so, perhaps
someone is already working on a similar feature?).  It is not possible
to filter with a regular expression.

The second flag is selection of system processes with -K or
interactively toggle between user and system processes.

I want to ask if this is of general interest for FreeBSD users or if its
useful for someone else here?  I've tested it on FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT.

Christian

top-grep-sysproc.patch (4K) Download Attachment

Re: top(1): adding grep like selection and system processes

Conrad Meyer-2
Hi Christian,

I've wanted these features in top many times.  Sounds great to me.

Take care,
Conrad