ubldr

Balanga Bar
Can anyone tell me what ubldr is or provide a link to info about it?

Re: ubldr

Hyun Hwang-2

ubldr is u-boot loader. Please refer to [this article](https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BootProcess).
--
Hyun "Harold" Hwang

Re: ubldr

Balanga Bar
Thanks for the link. I notice this bit:-

ubldr

   - [ need more here too ]

so am none the wiser really. I get the impression that ubldr is a fairly
recent introduction, ie I don't think it got built under FreeBSD 9...

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:20 AM Hyun Hwang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 16, 2019, 6:53 PM (UTC-04:00), Balanga Bar <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> > Can anyone tell me what ubldr is or provide a link to info about it?
>
> ubldr is u-boot loader. Please refer to [this article](
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BootProcess).
> --
> Hyun "Harold" Hwang

Re: ubldr

Ian Lepore-3
On Wed, 2019-04-17 at 09:06 +0100, Balanga Bar wrote:

> Thanks for the link. I notice this bit:-
>
> ubldr
>
>    - [ need more here too ]
>
> so am none the wiser really. I get the impression that ubldr is a
> fairly
> recent introduction, ie I don't think it got built under FreeBSD 9...

I had a feeling that wiki page would be too out of date to be useful. I
wrote most of that before ubldr came into existance; it mostly
describes how old arm systems booted without using loader(8) at all.

So, the short answer is:  ubldr is loader(8) compiled with options to
use U-Boot "API" services as a bios.  It requires that u-boot be built
with the CONFIG_API option.  In u-boot, you load ubldr as if it were
the kernel, and it uses uboot API calls to find and load the kernel and
modules.

-- Ian

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 2:20 AM Hyun Hwang <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, April 16, 2019, 6:53 PM (UTC-04:00), Balanga Bar <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Can anyone tell me what ubldr is or provide a link to info about
> > > it?
> >
> > ubldr is u-boot loader. Please refer to [this article](
> > https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/BootProcess).
> > --
> > Hyun "Harold" Hwang

Re: ubldr

Balanga Bar
I found the ubldr from 11.2 would look for kernel on disk whereas the one
from 12.0 tried to boot from net, so I copied the 11.2 version to the FAT
partition on a USB stick and it finds the 12.0 kernel on a UFS partition on
the stick.