unmount pending error on 6.0

Jeremie Le Hen-2
Hi,

[ Please Cc: me in replies, I'm not subscribed to this list. ]

I run a recent RELENG_6 from three days ago.  This is my file server
and all my drives are doubled.  I made a small script that mounts the
mirror disk, rsync all files to it and finally unmount it.

While testing this script, I interrupted the rsync and the script's trap
tried to unmount the filesystem.  umount(8) seemed to stall for a couple
of minutes (I didn't mesure precisely) and finally I get the following
error message :

% /mnt/mp3-mirror: unmount pending error: blocks 0 files 10

What is this ?  How can I debug it ?

Thanks.
Jeremie Le Hen

Re: unmount pending error on 6.0

Bugzilla from lofi@freebsd.org
On Thursday, 10. November 2005 11:21, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:

> While testing this script, I interrupted the rsync and the script's trap
> tried to unmount the filesystem.  umount(8) seemed to stall for a couple
> of minutes (I didn't mesure precisely) and finally I get the following
> error message :
>
> % /mnt/mp3-mirror: unmount pending error: blocks 0 files 10
>
> What is this ?  How can I debug it ?

Unmount pending error usually means that a background fsck run on the drive
was in progress, IIRC.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | [hidden email]
 (/^ ^\) | FreeBSD - The Power to Serve     | http://www.freebsd.org

Re: unmount pending error on 6.0

Xin LI-5
On 11/10/05, Jeremie Le Hen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I run a recent RELENG_6 from three days ago.  This is my file server
> and all my drives are doubled.  I made a small script that mounts the
> mirror disk, rsync all files to it and finally unmount it.
>
> While testing this script, I interrupted the rsync and the script's trap
> tried to unmount the filesystem.  umount(8) seemed to stall for a couple
> of minutes (I didn't mesure precisely) and finally I get the following
> error message :
>
> % /mnt/mp3-mirror: unmount pending error: blocks 0 files 10
>
> What is this ?  How can I debug it ?
My suggestion is that you re-mount the volume read-only, and then do a
"fsck -fy" over it.  Another thing to bet is to do "fsck -Bfy" over
the volume, which does a background fsck (in cases that you want the
volume to be read-write at the moment).