us report on russian hacking

Julian Elischer-5
This is a LOT more specific than I'd expected...

https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-106A

Re: us report on russian hacking

melifaro
18.04.2018, 08:19, "Julian Elischer" <[hidden email]>:
> This is a LOT more specific than I'd expected...
Is it?
This is basically a combination of the popular cisco bug description with the "Network router security 101" guidelines.
If you do s/Russia/US/g (or any other country) it can be treated with the same level of confidence - because the statements there are either too broad or totally unprovable.

> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-106A

Re: us report on russian hacking

Matthias Apitz-4
El día Wednesday, April 18, 2018 a las 10:36:13AM +0300, Alexander V. Chernikov escribió:

> 18.04.2018, 08:19, "Julian Elischer" <[hidden email]>:
> > This is a LOT more specific than I'd expected...
> Is it?
> This is basically a combination of the popular cisco bug description with the "Network router security 101" guidelines.
> If you do s/Russia/US/g (or any other country) it can be treated with the same level of confidence - because the statements there are either too broad or totally unprovable.

+1

This is only, after Skripal and the "chemical attack" in Syria, the next
round of Russian bashing to prepare our folks for a real war against Russia.

        matthias

--
Matthias Apitz, ✉ [hidden email], ⌂ http://www.unixarea.de/  📱 +49-176-38902045

Re: us report on russian hacking

Maxim Konovalov-3
Does this belong to -hackers@ really?

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 13:15+0800, Julian Elischer wrote:

> This is a LOT more specific than I'd expected...
>

> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-106A

Maxim Konovalov

Re: us report on russian hacking

Igor Mozolevsky-2
On 18 April 2018 at 06:15, Julian Elischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a LOT more specific than I'd expected...
>

> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-106A

And this is what actually happened back in the real world:
https://www.csoonline.com/article/3267867/security/hackers-abused-cisco-flaw-to-warn-iran-and-russia-dont-mess-with-our-elections.html

--
Igor M.

Re: us report on russian hacking

Gleb Popov
On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Julian Elischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a LOT more specific than I'd expected...
>

> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-106A

On light of recent CoC developments I wonder if this post satisfies it. I
feel strongly offended by completely ongrounded accusations to my country.
I wouldn't cate about it generally, but @hackers is clearly not a right
place for such posts.

Re: us report on russian hacking

Igor Mozolevsky-2
On 18 April 2018 at 09:07, Maxim Konovalov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Does this belong to -hackers@ really?

In "popular" culture `hacker' === `cracker,' and not a hacker in its
original/traditional sense as in a `skilled coder'.

--
Igor M.

On Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 12:47+0100, Igor Mozolevsky wrote:

> On 18 April 2018 at 09:07, Maxim Konovalov <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Does this belong to -hackers@ really?
>
> In "popular" culture `hacker' === `cracker,' and not a hacker in its
> original/traditional sense as in a `skilled coder'.

Igor, I know that very well, thanks.

Let me re-phrase the initial question: can we keep freebsd lists out
of government propaganda both US, Russia or whatever state -sponsored.

I was under impression there was number of other tools like popural
social networks and sites invented for that.

Thanks,

Maxim

--
Maxim Konovalov

Re: us report on russian hacking

Igor Mozolevsky-2
On 18 April 2018 at 12:58, Maxim Konovalov <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2018, 12:47+0100, Igor Mozolevsky wrote:
>
> > On 18 April 2018 at 09:07, Maxim Konovalov <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Does this belong to -hackers@ really?
> >
> > In "popular" culture `hacker' === `cracker,' and not a hacker in its
> > original/traditional sense as in a `skilled coder'.
> >
> Igor, I know that very well, thanks.
>
> Let me re-phrase the initial question: can we keep freebsd lists out
> of government propaganda both US, Russia or whatever state -sponsored.
>
> I was under impression there was number of other tools like popural
> social networks and sites invented for that.

 Perhaps the welcome message for the list (FreeBSD send these, right?)
should make that disparity between the meanings abundantly clear?

--
Igor M.

Re: us report on russian hacking

Dewayne Geraghty-4
It is useful for us to be ahead of the issues that we will be asked to
comment on, and advise our clients & friends.  If Julian's email is read
carefully, it is not a political statement.

US Cert did need to communicate the issue, but did not need to attribute
any nation as instigator (or threat).  Though US-Cert's apparatus seems
to be unreliable as this was (& should have been) a critical issue,
particularly for SMI users in Feb, 2017 (#1)

Did it need to be in freebsd-hackers?  Perhaps, though I suspect
freebsd-security might be better?

Thanks Igor for the csoonline reference, as background/context its
helpful.  Though I did laugh at 'don’t call it a vulnerability, but a
“protocol misuse issue.”'  (Hello George?  Hello, is that you, George
Orwell?)

Kind (g)regards.  :)

#1: Refer to
https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20170214-smi
(indirectly from Igor's earlier email)
--

Influence national support against IP address spoofing (pretending to be someone else), refer: http://www.bcp38.info/index.php/Main_Page

On 18 April 2018 at 14:53, Dewayne Geraghty <dewayne.geraghty@
heuristicsystems.com.au> wrote:

It is useful for us to be ahead of the issues that we will be asked to
> comment on, and advise our clients & friends.

<snip>

Indeed, but -hackers@ is hardly a place for security-related stuff;
-security@ is more appropriate, although general security issues are _not_
FreeBSD-specific issues.

Besides, those interested in receiving US CERT updates are free to sign up
[1] to hear from the horse's mouth (and there's even more things to
subscribe to at the same link), I've been subscribed for ages and the
traffic volume is fairly low.

1. https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSUSCERT/subscriber/new

--
Igor M.

Re: us report on russian hacking

Wojciech Puchar-8

>> In "popular" culture `hacker' === `cracker,' and not a hacker in its
>> original/traditional sense as in a `skilled coder'.
>>
> Igor, I know that very well, thanks.
>
> Let me re-phrase the initial question: can we keep freebsd lists out
> of government propaganda both US, Russia or whatever state -sponsored.
>
> I was under impression there was number of other tools like popural
> social networks and sites invented for that.

true. and especially - everywhere i here that everything is russian
guilt..... There must be public enemy no 1 ;)

Re: us report on russian hacking

Rozhuk Ivan-2
On Wed, 18 Apr 2018 13:15:07 +0800
Julian Elischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is a LOT more specific than I'd expected...
>

> https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA18-106A

What about new NSA exploits and operations? ))))