usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR

usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR

Yuri Pankov-14
Another issue that I started seeing lately, didn't try finding out when
exactly in case someone knows what it's about:

Root mount waiting for: usbus0
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed,
USB_ERR_IOERROR
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed,
USB_ERR_IOERROR
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed,
USB_ERR_IOERROR
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed,
USB_ERR_IOERROR
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed,
USB_ERR_IOERROR
ugen0.7: <Unknown > at usbus0 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
Root mount waiting for: usbus0
ugen0.7: <Generic 2-Port USB 3.1 Hub> at usbus0

ugen0.7: <Generic 2-Port USB 3.1 Hub> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER
(5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)

   bLength = 0x0012
   bDescriptorType = 0x0001
   bcdUSB = 0x0310
   bDeviceClass = 0x0009  <HUB>
   bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
   bDeviceProtocol = 0x0003
   bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0009
   idVendor = 0x0bda
   idProduct = 0x0423
   bcdDevice = 0x0103
   iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Generic>
   iProduct = 0x0002  <2-Port USB 3.1 Hub>
   iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
   bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

So far not seeing any ill effects from this, i.e. I can connect USB HDD
to these ports, and it's successfully detected.

Re: usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR

bob prohaska
On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 09:41:16PM +0300, Yuri Pankov wrote:
> Another issue that I started seeing lately, didn't try finding out when
> exactly in case someone knows what it's about:
>
> Root mount waiting for: usbus0
> usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed,
> USB_ERR_IOERROR

[details snipped]

> So far not seeing any ill effects from this, i.e. I can connect USB HDD to
> these ports, and it's successfully detected.

If it's convenient, connecting a USB-serial adapter and rebooting might
be interesting. I'm having trouble with FT232 obstructing disk detection
in some cases and self-disconnecting in others on a Pi3B.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska

bob prohaska wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2020 at 09:41:16PM +0300, Yuri Pankov wrote:
>> Another issue that I started seeing lately, didn't try finding out when
>> exactly in case someone knows what it's about:
>>
>> Root mount waiting for: usbus0
>> usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed,
>> USB_ERR_IOERROR
>>
> [details snipped]
>
>> So far not seeing any ill effects from this, i.e. I can connect USB HDD to
>> these ports, and it's successfully detected.
>
> If it's convenient, connecting a USB-serial adapter and rebooting might
> be interesting. I'm having trouble with FT232 obstructing disk detection
> in some cases and self-disconnecting in others on a Pi3B.

Don't have one.  It is "desktop" PC, so the only USB devices I have/need
are keyboard/mouse and memsticks.

RE: usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 6 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR

driesm.michiels
I just want to add a "me to" here.

With a recent upgrade of CURRENT on my laptop, these error messages started
popping up.
Possibly not really harming anything under the hood though.

Dries

[hidden email] wrote:
> I just want to add a "me to" here.
>
> With a recent upgrade of CURRENT on my laptop, these error messages started
> popping up.
> Possibly not really harming anything under the hood though.

Looks like r365029 fixed it for me, and even ubt0 is back happily
spamming console with netgraph warnings; didn't notice its absence as
I'm not using bluetooth at the moment.