using virsh and virt-manager for XEN on FreeBSD

using virsh and virt-manager for XEN on FreeBSD

Eric Bautsch
Hi All

And one more:

root@bianca # virsh -V
Virsh command line tool of libvirt 4.10.0
See web site at https://libvirt.org/

Compiled with support for:
  Hypervisors: VMware PHYP VirtualBox ESX Bhyve Test
  Networking: Remote Network Bridging
  Storage: Dir ZFS
  Miscellaneous: Daemon Secrets Debug Readline
root@bianca # virsh -c xen:///system
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
error: no connection driver available for xen:///system

Based on this output, I'm assuming that virsh (and virt-manager, too) wasn't
compiled with XEN support on FreeBSD.

However, this page (from 2015):
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/libvirt-libxl-on-freebsd.51862/

Would seem to suggest that it should work.

Should I just stop trying and compile my own virsh and virt-manager?

Sorry, this seems like a stupid question again.

Eric

--

       ____
      /          .                           Eric A. Bautsch

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: using virsh and virt-manager for XEN on FreeBSD

Roger Pau Monné
On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 07:43:54AM +0000, Eric Bautsch wrote:

> Hi All
>

> And one more:
>
> root@bianca # virsh -V
> Virsh command line tool of libvirt 4.10.0
> See web site at https://libvirt.org/
>
> Compiled with support for:
>  Hypervisors: VMware PHYP VirtualBox ESX Bhyve Test
>  Networking: Remote Network Bridging
>  Storage: Dir ZFS
>  Miscellaneous: Daemon Secrets Debug Readline
> root@bianca # virsh -c xen:///system
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: no connection driver available for xen:///system
>

> Based on this output, I'm assuming that virsh (and virt-manager, too) wasn't
> compiled with XEN support on FreeBSD.
>

> However, this page (from 2015):
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/libvirt-libxl-on-freebsd.51862/
>

> Would seem to suggest that it should work.
>

> Should I just stop trying and compile my own virsh and virt-manager?

I haven't looked into building virt-manager with Xen support myself,
there's definitely Xen support in virt-manager that uses libxl IIRC,
but that's not enabled by the virt-manager port.

Would you be willing to look into enabling Xen support for the
virt-manager port?

Thanks, Roger.

Re: using virsh and virt-manager for XEN on FreeBSD

Roman Bogorodskiy-3
  Eric Bautsch wrote:

> Hi All
>

> And one more:
>
> root@bianca # virsh -V
> Virsh command line tool of libvirt 4.10.0
> See web site at https://libvirt.org/
>
> Compiled with support for:
>   Hypervisors: VMware PHYP VirtualBox ESX Bhyve Test
>   Networking: Remote Network Bridging
>   Storage: Dir ZFS
>   Miscellaneous: Daemon Secrets Debug Readline
> root@bianca # virsh -c xen:///system
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: no connection driver available for xen:///system
>

> Based on this output, I'm assuming that virsh (and virt-manager, too) wasn't
> compiled with XEN support on FreeBSD.
>

> However, this page (from 2015):
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/libvirt-libxl-on-freebsd.51862/
>

> Would seem to suggest that it should work.
>

> Should I just stop trying and compile my own virsh and virt-manager?
>

> Sorry, this seems like a stupid question again.
>
> Eric
Hi Eric,

virsh comes from the devel/libvirt port (or respectful package). On
amd64, it has XEN option available which adds Xen support through libxl.
However, it's not enabled by default (therefore if you're installing
libvirt from an official repo, it won't be enabled), so you'll have to
build your own version with this option enabled.

IIRC, virt-manager supports Xen by default and does not need any
additional configuration.

> --
>
>        ____
>       /          .                           Eric A. Bautsch

Roman Bogorodskiy