vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift and OpenZFS

grahamperrin
In my sysctl.conf:

vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12

– if I recall correctly, the line was written automatically when I
installed FreeBSD-CURRENT a year or so ago.

With OpenZFS enabled:

root@momh167-gjp4-8570p:~ # sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift
sysctl: unknown oid 'vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift'

Should I have a different line in sysctl.conf, or is
vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift not required with OpenZFS?

Hardware: HP EliteBook 8570p, circa 2013
<https://web.archive.org/web/20150906211950/http://www8.hp.com:80/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04163744.pdf>

Re: vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift and OpenZFS

Steven Hartland
Looks like it should still be there if your using the in tree ZFS:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs/vdev.c?revision=358333&view=markup#l144

On 01/05/2020 19:03, Graham Perrin wrote:

> In my sysctl.conf:
>
> vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12
>
> – if I recall correctly, the line was written automatically when I
> installed FreeBSD-CURRENT a year or so ago.
>
> With OpenZFS enabled:
>
> root@momh167-gjp4-8570p:~ # sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift
> sysctl: unknown oid 'vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift'
>
> Should I have a different line in sysctl.conf, or is
> vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift not required with OpenZFS?
>
> Hardware: HP EliteBook 8570p, circa 2013
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20150906211950/http://www8.hp.com:80/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04163744.pdf>

Re: vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift and OpenZFS

Matthew Macy-3
OpenZFS doesn't have the same ashift optimization logic that FreeBSD
has. It's something that needs to be resolved before the code can be
integrated downstream.

-M

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:04 AM Graham Perrin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my sysctl.conf:
>
> vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift=12
>
> – if I recall correctly, the line was written automatically when I
> installed FreeBSD-CURRENT a year or so ago.
>
> With OpenZFS enabled:
>
> root@momh167-gjp4-8570p:~ # sysctl vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift
> sysctl: unknown oid 'vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift'
>
> Should I have a different line in sysctl.conf, or is
> vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift not required with OpenZFS?
>
> Hardware: HP EliteBook 8570p, circa 2013
> <https://web.archive.org/web/20150906211950/http://www8.hp.com:80/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04163744.pdf>

Re: vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift and OpenZFS

Ed Maste-2
On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 20:20, Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OpenZFS doesn't have the same ashift optimization logic that FreeBSD
> has. It's something that needs to be resolved before the code can be
> integrated downstream.

Note that our installer tries to set the min_auto_ashift when ZFS is
selected - I've submitted PR 249157 to track that.

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 17:08 Ed Maste <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 1 May 2020 at 20:20, Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > OpenZFS doesn't have the same ashift optimization logic that FreeBSD
>
> > has. It's something that needs to be resolved before the code can be
>
> > integrated downstream.
>

> Note that our installer tries to set the min_auto_ashift when ZFS is
>
> selected - I've submitted PR 249157 to track that.
>
> This long since been fixed. Note that Ryan built working installer images
during the CFT.
-M

On Sun, 6 Sep 2020 at 22:26, Matthew Macy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This long since been fixed. Note that Ryan built working installer images during the CFT.

Yep, thanks for the note and sorry for the false alarm; it was a local
issue and I've closed the PR.

Re: vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift and OpenZFS

Niclas Zeising-5
On 2020-05-02 02:20, Matthew Macy wrote:
> OpenZFS doesn't have the same ashift optimization logic that FreeBSD
> has. It's something that needs to be resolved before the code can be
> integrated downstream.

So currently all pools created with OpenZFS will use 512 bit alignment,
at least if the underlying storage device uses 512bit sectors (which
most drives tend to do)?

If this is the case, it feels like a pessimisation.

Regards
--
Niclas

Re: vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift and OpenZFS

Ryan Moeller-2

On 9/8/20 4:31 PM, Niclas Zeising wrote:

> On 2020-05-02 02:20, Matthew Macy wrote:
>> OpenZFS doesn't have the same ashift optimization logic that FreeBSD
>> has. It's something that needs to be resolved before the code can be
>> integrated downstream.
>
> So currently all pools created with OpenZFS will use 512 bit
> alignment, at least if the underlying storage device uses 512bit
> sectors (which most drives tend to do)?
>
> If this is the case, it feels like a pessimisation.
>
> Regards

The vdev ashift optimizations from FreeBSD were put in OpenZFS before
the import into base. That sysctl does work now.

-Ryan

On 2020-09-09 17:55, Ryan Moeller wrote:

> On 9/8/20 4:31 PM, Niclas Zeising wrote:
>> On 2020-05-02 02:20, Matthew Macy wrote:
>>> OpenZFS doesn't have the same ashift optimization logic that FreeBSD
>>> has. It's something that needs to be resolved before the code can be
>>> integrated downstream.
>>
>> So currently all pools created with OpenZFS will use 512 bit
>> alignment, at least if the underlying storage device uses 512bit
>> sectors (which most drives tend to do)?
>>
>> If this is the case, it feels like a pessimisation.
>>
>> Regards
>

> The vdev ashift optimizations from FreeBSD were put in OpenZFS before
> the import into base. That sysctl does work now.

Thank you for the clarification!
Regards
--
Niclas

Re: vfs.zfs.min_auto_ashift and OpenZFS

Slawa Olhovchenkov
On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 11:55:14AM -0400, Ryan Moeller wrote:

> On 9/8/20 4:31 PM, Niclas Zeising wrote:
> > On 2020-05-02 02:20, Matthew Macy wrote:
> >> OpenZFS doesn't have the same ashift optimization logic that FreeBSD
> >> has. It's something that needs to be resolved before the code can be
> >> integrated downstream.
> >
> > So currently all pools created with OpenZFS will use 512 bit
> > alignment, at least if the underlying storage device uses 512bit
> > sectors (which most drives tend to do)?
> >
> > If this is the case, it feels like a pessimisation.
> >
> > Regards
>

> The vdev ashift optimizations from FreeBSD were put in OpenZFS before
> the import into base. That sysctl does work now.

Ugly hack w/ geom_noop required again?

On 9/9/20 5:40 PM, Slawa Olhovchenkov wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 09, 2020 at 11:55:14AM -0400, Ryan Moeller wrote:

>>> So currently all pools created with OpenZFS will use 512 bit
>>> alignment, at least if the underlying storage device uses 512bit
>>> sectors (which most drives tend to do)?
>>>
>>> If this is the case, it feels like a pessimisation.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>
>> The vdev ashift optimizations from FreeBSD were put in OpenZFS before
>> the import into base. That sysctl does work now.
> Ugly hack w/ geom_noop required again?

I believe you can do `-o ashift=` with zpool create/add now.