www/squid's cache dir

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

www/squid's cache dir

timp
Hi!

A question was born in my mind about www/squid port:

Do we really need a separate /var/squid dir for 'cache' and always
empty 'logs' subdirs?
Squid's logs are really in /var/log/squid, not in /var/squid/logs.

So I think what if we had cache dir like /var/cache/squid, and got rig
of /var/squid at all?
What do you think?
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

freebsd-ports mailing list
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:33:33 +0300
Pavel Timofeev wrote:

> Hi!
>
> A question was born in my mind about www/squid port:
>
> Do we really need a separate /var/squid dir for 'cache' and always
> empty 'logs' subdirs?
> Squid's logs are really in /var/log/squid, not in /var/squid/logs.
>
> So I think what if we had cache dir like /var/cache/squid, and got rig
> of /var/squid at all?
> What do you think?

I can see a case for fixing the Makefile so the log directory is
created in the right place. Moving the squid directory itself wouldn't
avoid creating /var/squid/logs.

Squid can use more than one cache directory, so it makes sense to have
the default cache directory as a sub-directory of squid/.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

timp
> I can see a case for fixing the Makefile so the log directory is
created in the right place.

What do you mean? It's already created and used by port in right place - /var/log/squid.

> Moving the squid directory itself wouldn't  avoid creating /var/squid/logs.

And there is no need to move this directory. Removing a few lines from Makefile and pkg-plist would avoid this. Do I misunderstand something?

> Squid can use more than one cache directory, so it makes sense to have the default cache directory as a sub-directory of squid/.

Additional cache dirs can be created manually by user in /var/squid, I agree. Like /var/squid/cache{1,2,3} etc whatever.
But these dirs can be created manually in /var/cache too. Like /var/cache/squid{1,2,3}. I can't see any difference.

Explain, please.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

freebsd-ports mailing list
On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 21:39:39 -0700 (MST)
timp wrote:




> > Squid can use more than one cache directory, so it makes sense to
> > have the default cache directory as a sub-directory of squid/.
>
> Additional cache dirs can be created manually by user in /var/squid, I
> agree. Like /var/squid/cache{1,2,3} etc whatever.
> But these dirs can be created manually in /var/cache too. Like
> /var/cache/squid{1,2,3}. I can't see any difference.

If you can't see any difference, what the point's in making a change?
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

timp
Ok, so you don't see the difference too, do you?
The point is get rid of dirs which we don't really need for this port,
and place cache to suitable dir which is made in base system for such
purposes.
Just for order. You think it's bad idea?

2015-07-15 14:08 GMT+03:00 freebsd-ports mailing list [via FreeBSD]
<[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 21:39:39 -0700 (MST)
> timp wrote:
>
>
>
>
>> > Squid can use more than one cache directory, so it makes sense to
>> > have the default cache directory as a sub-directory of squid/.
>>
>> Additional cache dirs can be created manually by user in /var/squid, I
>> agree. Like /var/squid/cache{1,2,3} etc whatever.
>> But these dirs can be created manually in /var/cache too. Like
>> /var/cache/squid{1,2,3}. I can't see any difference.
>
> If you can't see any difference, what the point's in making a change?
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
>
> ________________________________
> If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion
> below:
> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/www-squid-s-cache-dir-tp6025127p6025455.html
> To unsubscribe from www/squid's cache dir, click here.
> NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

freebsd-ports mailing list
On Wed, 15 Jul 2015 04:25:56 -0700 (MST)
timp wrote:

> Ok, so you don't see the difference too, do you?

Actually I do see the difference - I think the current layout is
better. My point was that "I can't see any difference" isn't a good
argument for making disruptive change.
 

I think it's obvious that putting multiple caches under one squid
directory is better than having multiple squid directories.


> The point is get rid of dirs which we don't really need for this port,
> and place cache to suitable dir which is made in base system for such
> purposes.
> Just for order. You think it's bad idea?


I think it's cleaner to have a default location for squid caches,
rather than just a default cache location.   There's an unnecessary
directory to the same extent as there is with a single home directory
under /home.  

Whether squid goes under /var or /var/cache is a completely different
issue. In the second case you would need /var/cache/squid/cache.




> 2015-07-15 14:08 GMT+03:00 freebsd-ports mailing list [via FreeBSD]
> <[hidden email]>:
> > On Tue, 14 Jul 2015 21:39:39 -0700 (MST)
> > timp wrote:
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >> > Squid can use more than one cache directory, so it makes sense to
> >> > have the default cache directory as a sub-directory of squid/.
> >>
> >> Additional cache dirs can be created manually by user
> >> in /var/squid, I agree. Like /var/squid/cache{1,2,3} etc whatever.
> >> But these dirs can be created manually in /var/cache too. Like
> >> /var/cache/squid{1,2,3}. I can't see any difference.

Please don't top-post.
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

timp
> > Ok, so you don't see the difference too, do you?
>
> Actually I do see the difference - I think the current layout is
> better. My point was that "I can't see any difference" isn't a good
> argument for making disruptive change.
>  
>
> I think it's obvious that putting multiple caches under one squid
> directory is better than having multiple squid directories.

Well, yes, in most cases.

> > The point is get rid of dirs which we don't really need for this port,
> > and place cache to suitable dir which is made in base system for such
> > purposes.
> > Just for order. You think it's bad idea?
>
>
> I think it's cleaner to have a default location for squid caches,
> rather than just a default cache location.   There's an unnecessary
> directory to the same extent as there is with a single home directory
> under /home.  
>
> Whether squid goes under /var or /var/cache is a completely different
> issue. In the second case you would need /var/cache/squid/cache.

I like the /var/cache/squid/cache variant =) It looks too long though.

About a half of a year cache dir was hided a bit deeper.
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=373442
Is it your commit? Sorry, I can't see your name, just a name of mail list.

Do you think logs should be under /var/squid too (now empty /var/squid/logs dir)?

> Please don't top-post.

I'm sorry! I'll do my best.


Does anyone have any other opinion?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

Courtland
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 7:33 AM, timp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Ok, so you don't see the difference too, do you?
> >
> > Actually I do see the difference - I think the current layout is
> > better. My point was that "I can't see any difference" isn't a good
> > argument for making disruptive change.
> >
> >
> > I think it's obvious that putting multiple caches under one squid
> > directory is better than having multiple squid directories.
>
> Well, yes, in most cases.
>
> > > The point is get rid of dirs which we don't really need for this port,
> > > and place cache to suitable dir which is made in base system for such
> > > purposes.
> > > Just for order. You think it's bad idea?
> >
> >
> > I think it's cleaner to have a default location for squid caches,
> > rather than just a default cache location.   There's an unnecessary
> > directory to the same extent as there is with a single home directory
> > under /home.
> >
> > Whether squid goes under /var or /var/cache is a completely different
> > issue. In the second case you would need /var/cache/squid/cache.
>
> I like the /var/cache/squid/cache variant =) It looks too long though.
>
> About a half of a year cache dir was hided a bit deeper.
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=373442
> Is it your commit? Sorry, I can't see your name, just a name of mail list.
>
> Do you think logs should be under /var/squid too (now empty /var/squid/logs
> dir)?
>

FWIW, I have the squid port installed on hundreds of systems, however I do
not use the port defaults and have logs and cache on a separate filesystem
mounted in /squid (i.e., /squid/logs, /squid/cache). In my opinion, it
makes sense for the port to default to using /var/squid/cache and
/var/squid/logs, which I believe is already the case?

In my opinion using /var/cache/squid/... does not make any sense. I'm not
exactly sure the intention of /var/cache - my systems only use it for
pkg(8), but it seems intended more for a temporary application cache in the
traditional sense and not so much for things like a web cache that need to
be much larger.

In reality, I would think that most users of squid with a reasonably sized
cache-dir would need to relocate squid cache and logs to a filesystem of
larger size than the average /var, or mount /var/squid elsewhere in which
case they would likely want /var/squid of the /var filesystem to be empty.


> > Please don't top-post.
>
> I'm sorry! I'll do my best.
>
>
> Does anyone have any other opinion?
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/www-squid-s-cache-dir-tp6025127p6025493.html
> Sent from the freebsd-ports mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

timp
Hi Nick!

> FWIW, I have the squid port installed on hundreds of systems, however I do
> not use the port defaults and have logs and cache on a separate filesystem
> mounted in /squid (i.e., /squid/logs, /squid/cache). In my opinion, it
> makes sense for the port to default to using /var/squid/cache and
> /var/squid/logs, which I believe is already the case?

No, it's not the case for the log dir.

> In my opinion using /var/cache/squid/... does not make any sense. I'm not
> exactly sure the intention of /var/cache - my systems only use it for
> pkg(8), but it seems intended more for a temporary application cache in the
> traditional sense and not so much for things like a web cache that need to
> be much larger.
>
> In reality, I would think that most users of squid with a reasonably sized
> cache-dir would need to relocate squid cache and logs to a filesystem of
> larger size than the average /var, or mount /var/squid elsewhere in which
> case they would likely want /var/squid of the /var filesystem to be empty.


Ok, a small squid installation can live with /var/squid/cache or /var/cache/squid, it doesn't matter. If user wants to use squid extensively he/she does the additional work manually. That's what I understood.

Just looked into ubuntu and centos - they use /var/spool/squid as a default cache dir.

So as a conclusion I'd got rid of /var/squid/logs.
Cache is in /var/squid/cache and logs are in /var/log/squid like right now.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: www/squid's cache dir

Courtland
On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 1:05 AM, timp <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nick!
>
> > FWIW, I have the squid port installed on hundreds of systems, however I
> do
> > not use the port defaults and have logs and cache on a separate
> filesystem
> > mounted in /squid (i.e., /squid/logs, /squid/cache). In my opinion, it
> > makes sense for the port to default to using /var/squid/cache and
> > /var/squid/logs, which I believe is already the case?
>
> No, it's not the case for the log dir.
>
> > In my opinion using /var/cache/squid/... does not make any sense. I'm not
> > exactly sure the intention of /var/cache - my systems only use it for
> > pkg(8), but it seems intended more for a temporary application cache in
> > the
> > traditional sense and not so much for things like a web cache that need
> to
> > be much larger.
> >
> > In reality, I would think that most users of squid with a reasonably
> sized
> > cache-dir would need to relocate squid cache and logs to a filesystem of
> > larger size than the average /var, or mount /var/squid elsewhere in which
> > case they would likely want /var/squid of the /var filesystem to be
> empty.
>
>
> Ok, a small squid installation can live with /var/squid/cache or
> /var/cache/squid, it doesn't matter. If user wants to use squid extensively
> he/she does the additional work manually. That's what I understood.
>
> Just looked into ubuntu and centos - they use /var/spool/squid as a default
> cache dir.
>
> So as a conclusion I'd got rid of /var/squid/logs.
> Cache is in /var/squid/cache and logs are in /var/log/squid like right now.
>

I think that makes perfect sense as well.


>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://freebsd.1045724.n5.nabble.com/www-squid-s-cache-dir-tp6025127p6025665.html
> Sent from the freebsd-ports mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> [hidden email] mailing list
> http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"
>
_______________________________________________
[hidden email] mailing list
http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-ports
To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[hidden email]"